Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Alarm

shooby337

Hi

How can I deativate this on my 1998 R reg Avensis? The alarm is going off in the early hours of the morning every night for 2 weeks now! And its upsetting a lot of my neighbours and I'm worried someone is going to trash my car unless I can get the alatm deactiated.

The alarm had done this previously when I first got it but then it just stopped. Now about 2 years later its doing it again. There doesn't appear to be anything setting it off (e.g. no cat about)

Can anyone help?

I'm not sure what type of alarm is fitted to your model, does it have ultrasonic sensors inside? If so they can be set off by objects such as seat belts that retract after locking or disturbed by wind. On some models there is a button to deactivate these sensors before locking with key fob. You may be able to lock the car with the key in the lock instead of arming the alarm.

Fitter

Hmmm. Could possibly be the water one. Its a lot more in the open now so the elements get at it more. The last year or so it had been parked up close to the house. But now I've moved its either on the road or in an open car park.

Whats the best way to fix it if its the boot one (I do have difficulty with the boot and have to slam it hard for it to shut)?

If not I'll have to attmept to take the head lamp out and disconnect it. How easy is it to do that?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure what type of alarm is fitted to your model, does it have ultrasonic sensors inside? If so they can be set off by objects such as seat belts that retract after locking or disturbed by wind. On some models there is a button to deactivate these sensors before locking with key fob. You may be able to lock the car with the key in the lock instead of arming the alarm.

Fitter

Agree with Fitter. On my 2002 model you can disable the internal sensors (say for when you have dogs inside the car) and that maybe all you need to do.

On our model the instructions are "With drivers door open, push the power lock button to lock and then unlock three times in succession. The indicator

light blinks rapidly to show that it has been deactivated." Worth a try whilst you look for the root cause.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links