Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

National Security Threat: American Youth Too Fat To Fight

Raistlin

In a report that was released today by a group of retired armed forces leaders, it was stated that over a quarter of young adults are not able to meet the physical requirements for joining the military. And it is not because of unavoidable diseases, ailments or physical problems."It's not drug abuse, it's not asthma, it's not flat feet — by far the leading medical reason is being overweight or obese," said retired U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Norman Seip at a news conference.

Because of weight alone, at least 27 percent of America's young adults are medically not eligible for the military, according to 'Mission: Readiness' which is a group of retired military admirals generals, and other senior military leaders. Although the different branches have different requirements, they all have rules in regards to strength, body fat, aerobic capacity, weight and height, according to Seip. If a person cannot meet the requirements for the physical fitness standards when they sign up, they may not be able to enlist. This includes exercises such as sit ups and push ups.

"The logic is pretty obvious," said retired Army Brig. Gen. Clara Adams-Ender. "The troops need to be in excellent physical condition because of the demands of the important jobs they do in defense. Rigorous physical and mental standards are critical if we are to maintain the fighting readiness of our military. We lose upwards to 12,000 young men and young women a year before they even finish up the first term of enlistment," Seip said. "That's another person, who has been recruited, trained and left because they're not able to maintain standards and can't pass the physical fitness test."

"We cannot wait until our young adults reach enlistment age to do something about it," said retired Navy Rear Adm. James Barnett Jr. "By that time, they may have already developed a chronic and lifelong weight problem." Mission Readiness is urging Congress to pass a new childhood nutrition law in order to remove junk food from school menus, raise the nutritional standards for kids and the quality of school meals, and make anti obesity programs available for kids.

"We believe that the child obesity issue is so serious it has become a threat to our national security," said Lieutenant General Norman R. Seip, US Air Force (Ret.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55E3wRseMHk

Biscuit anyone biggrin.gif

Saves going to Afghanistan...

But who is going to kill our soldiers now...

They put the Miss in Missile

I dislike Americans en masse :disgust: Individuals are ok, you can take them or leave them as you wish.

Personally, I find that Eastern Europeans are much more congenial, & find it disgusting that the most powerful Nation in the World is so physically unfit & mentally unfit to hold that Title :crazy:

End of rant & back to normal Angelic [?]self :angel_not::laughing:

I have to agree with you on that one Vic.

It's a good idea to pass those laws but still it's sickening to see that they have a need to anyway....

I think it could be similar to banning cigarettes, if it were done then we'd have a nation of nutters fighting back to feed the addiction. With many people in the US the food is an addiction and the nation is paying for it. Just as we have to when it comes to treating heart desease and cancers.

Too fat to go to Afghanistan and kill a soldier called MacDonald in a friendly fire attack.

But not so fat they can't go to MacDonald's and wolf down another greasy burger sold by an exploited underpaid worker from Afghanistan.

I dislike Americans en masse disgust.gif Individuals are ok, you can take them or leave them as you wish.

Personally, I find that Eastern Europeans are much more congenial, & find it disgusting that the most powerful Nation in the World is so physically unfit & mentally unfit to hold that Title crazy.gif

End of rant & back to normal Angelic [?]self angel_not.giflaughing.gif

You have never been Angelic... cool.gif

I dislike Americans en masse disgust.gif Individuals are ok, you can take them or leave them as you wish.

Personally, I find that Eastern Europeans are much more congenial, & find it disgusting that the most powerful Nation in the World is so physically unfit & mentally unfit to hold that Title crazy.gif

End of rant & back to normal Angelic [?]self angel_not.giflaughing.gif

You have never been Angelic... cool.gif

OOPS :crybaby: There goes my Ego & high opinion of myself, shattered in one swell foop

:help:

Thanks, Raist :rolleyes: I can always rely on you, Mate :2guns: :lol2:

Just keeping you grounded :D

My mate Pete is serving in Afghanistan, and the man is a hero,

In one brave and selfless act, he saved the lives of dozens of British and Allied soldiers, not to mention hundreds of innocent civilians.

He shot down an American ground assault aircraft...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links