Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scumbag Mobility Riders.

bokkie

We've all seen them. A couple of weeks ago, one of those delightfully wonderful senior citizens-!Removed!-disabled gentlefolk nearly rode into me at speed. You can well imagine what kind of injury that could have caused. Today, my wife tells me she was parked at a small shopping precinct and when she came back to the car, the rear end of our iQ was scraped with evidence of red paint. The pharmacist who saw it happen said the scumbag riding the buggy rode off at speed. Needless to say, I an really annoyed about it. Two things come to mind:

1. Why are these things unregistered? Given the serious injuries they can cause and the damage they can do is it not time that they should be compulsorily registered and insured, like we have to do with our cars?

2. Is it worth getting the police to look into it? After all, the scumbag who hit our car probably lives local to where she was parked at the time? I'm going to speak to the pharmacist and see what they can remember. The last thing I really want to do is trouble our local police who have far more important things to do than investigate crime, such as doing nothing which is their speciality.

I really am fed up with the scum we have in this country. People like that need to be made accountable.

Is it worth pursuing?

I think you need to get a few things in perspective and take a chill pill

Whilst I accept you are annoyed at having your car damaged, mobility scooters might look like they wizz along, but they have a top speed of 4 MPH. (Thats my interpretation of a Mobility Scooter anyway)They are also exempt from the road traffic act so the Police will not (or rather they cannot) get involved or prosecute the driver

If you feel so hard done to there is nothing to stop you taking out a private prosecution in the civil court for damages, but I would put any money you like on you dropping the action when you find out how much it would cost you to persue it privately

Annoying it maybe for you, but refereing to Mobility Scooter riders as scumbags is.....IMHO a little harsh for an open forum. Lets hope you don't need to use one anytime soon. Put it down to experience, fix it and move on ;)

Kingo :thumbsup:

Whilst I accept you are annoyed at having your car damaged, mobility scooters might look like they wizz along, but they have a top speed of 4 MPH. (Thats my interpretation of a Mobility Scooter anyway)They are also exempt from the road traffic act so the Police will not (or rather they cannot) get involved or prosecute the driver

If you feel so hard done to there is nothing to stop you taking out a private prosecution in the civil court for damages, but I would put any money you like on you dropping the action when you find out how much it would cost you to persue it privately

Annoying it maybe for you, but refereing to Mobility Scooter riders as scumbags is.....IMHO a little harsh for an open forum. Lets hope you don't need to use one anytime soon. Put it down to experience, fix it and move on ;)

They go faster than 4mph regardless what the law says. Ask anyone who drives a Ferrari how fast it can go and they'll tell you 20mph in a school zone. As for all other speed control zones, well that's a another story. I never said they were all scumbags but right now the one that did that is. What you imply is that because a murder was not committed in your house then it is nothing more than a minor annoyance if it was committed in someone elses. :o

i agree that mobility scooters as well as cyclists should have insurance by law.

no matter what caused it, damage has been done and the offender has left the scene.

its doubtful youll get anywhere with the old bill.

try polishing the scratch with some rubbing compound it hopefully will come off

They go faster than 4mph regardless what the law says. Ask anyone who drives a Ferrari how fast it can go and they'll tell you 20mph in a school zone. As for all other speed control zones, well that's a another story. I never said they were all scumbags but right now the one that did that is. What you imply is that because a murder was not committed in your house then it is nothing more than a minor annoyance if it was committed in someone elses. :o

Well the title of your thread "Scumbag Mobility Riders" in the plural does imply you are talking about more than one

In your words, The pharmacist who saw it happen said the scumbag riding the buggy rode off at speed but lets be honest, at speed is a little over the top.

A scrape with red paint in evidence is hardly murder, annoying yes, but let the punishment fit the crime. Lets hope you are not standing as an MP on Thursday :D: :D: :D:

Lets hope you are not standing as an MP on Thursday biggrin.gif: biggrin.gif: biggrin.gif:

Kingo thumbsup.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice One Kingo tongue.gif

In my opinion NO , they have no insurance and are probably on benefits so whats the point ?

Put it down to experience, fix it and move on ;)

I agree with absolutely NOTHING Parks-King has said!

Don’t put it down to experience, read this and take note :thumbsup:

Disabled mother forced to sell home to pay compensation after mobility scooter injures supermarket worker's knee

Put it down to experience, fix it and move on ;)

I agree with absolutely NOTHING Parks-King has said!

Don’t put it down to experience, read this and take note :thumbsup:

Disabled mother forced to sell home to pay compensation after mobility scooter injures supermarket worker's knee

I'm not standing as an MP. If I were, I'd force them to pay insurance, pavement fund licence and if they commit any offence then I'd have them keel-hauled underneath the scooter they sit on top of. I can live with the damage the pig caused if he'd had the honesty to leave a note but he did not. I'd not tolerate what he did whether it was my car or one owned by anyone else. He knew exactly what he was doing when he rode off. Perhaps another nice bloke out there will nick his scooter and ride it into a brand new police Lexus. Looking at the scratches to the bodywork he knew he hit a car. I'll consider it debt repaid if he reaps what he sows. If I need to have it looked at by a shop or Mr. T says the rear bodywork needs to be replaced, then at what price? That old sod deserves no empathy from me. As I originally wrote, it's not the first time I've experienced them at close quarters. Age or infirmity is no barrier to honesty. :)

People like this only understand 2 things in life.

Pain and Money

Give one and take the other, then you get their full attention :thumbsup:

Reading about the woman who hit the shop assistant amused me. The claim was she was shunted by another mobility scooter. I know some freeways have records of the number of car pile-ups they have but as for the same in a shop, well, that takes talent. Perhaps somewhere out there is a secret society that organises mobility scooter jousting competitions or like Bill Murray said in Groundhog Day when he was riding along the railway track towards the oncoming train, "I bet he swerves first." :wacko:

Two of your posts take a swipe at the Police, due I take it you have an issue with them ?

That story is full of jems

Mrs Brown filed a counter claim that the accident was caused by a shunt after a woman on one of Morrisons' own mobility scooters had bumped into her.

But Mrs Brown said that was not the case and that she would have called an eye-witness to back up her claim, but believed he had died.

'She didn't feel safe working on the shop floor any more and so moved to the petrol station.'

You couldnt write a comedy sketch like that

I'm all for people being paid what is due, where negligence leads to somebody being injured with time off work and actually having a "Loss" of some sort

The person that bumped your car should have stopped and agreed to pay you for the damage, they didnt, and for that you have the right to be narked

What I cant stand is your bigoted view of the disabled and less fortunate who have to rely on Scooters and not Ferrari's to get around on. Oh MP and Bigot mentioned in one thread.......Make sure your mic is switched off when you go to bed tonight wink.gif

Kingo thumbsup.gif

The disabled and less fortunate will still get a letter from my solicitor, their personal circumstances doesn’t negate them of responsibility :thumbsup:

Two of your posts take a swipe at the Police, due I take it you have an issue with them ?

I am fleet-footed and try to stay ahead of them all the time. The main complaint I have is that they are like London buses (you can see where this is going) when you don't see one for ages and then three vans of them come along at the same time - all to attend someone dropping a piece of paper. I live in a craptown called Crawley and what I've seen on occasions looks like an extras rehearsal for the Keystone Cops.

I'm sure they are mostly good at what they do but there are some who, well, let us say no more.

That story is full of jems

Mrs Brown filed a counter claim that the accident was caused by a shunt after a woman on one of Morrisons' own mobility scooters had bumped into her.

But Mrs Brown said that was not the case and that she would have called an eye-witness to back up her claim, but believed he had died.

'She didn't feel safe working on the shop floor any more and so moved to the petrol station.'

You couldnt write a comedy sketch like that

I'm all for people being paid what is due, where negligence leads to somebody being injured with time off work and actually having a "Loss" of some sort

The person that bumped your car should have stopped and agreed to pay you for the damage, they didnt, and for that you have the right to be narked

What I cant stand is your bigoted view of the disabled and less fortunate who have to rely on Scooters and not Ferrari's to get around on. Oh MP and Bigot mentioned in one thread.......Make sure your mic is switched off when you go to bed tonight wink.gif

Kingo thumbsup.gif

PK, thanks for giving me a good laugh. If you ever run for Prime Minister, please contact me, as you are assured of my vote. :thumbsup:

I think that they should be registered, and I hate to say it but I also agree with Reece (oh god! :P ) I would still be sending out letters if someone had knacked the paint on my car.

I don't think they can do any harm, tbh if one is about to hit you then most men are strong enough to simply stop it with their bare hands. :rolleyes:

I think that your reaction is a bit harsh and strong but then again I am guilty of feeling so strongly about things that to many people don't matter so much.

Taking a pop at the Police again is an uneccesary addition to the post and I reckon is simply because you are miffed at the original situation (which you have evrery right to be). Make sure you direct your anger to the right people. ;) It's not down to them anyway, Traffic Police are who you want. But the sensible thing to do would be to save the time energy and money you would spend on pursuing this and spending it on getting your iQ repaired properly. ;)

I hope it gets sorted soon. :thumbsup:

In answer to the question at the end of the O.P.......... No, I don't think it is worth pursuing. Bite the bullet & move on. We all have to, from time to time, in life.

You have only one person's word that it was a Disabled person on a Mobility Scooter. What if it was done by a friend of Her's & she was covering up ? Mobility Scooter is a handy excuse - no reg. plates.

Are Mobility Scooters painted ? Or are they made from coloured synthetic material ?

I find it hard to accept that, from a standing start, one could inflict much damage, & anyway, they are highly manoeuvrable.

If it did happen as stated, perhaps the driver never owned a car or was a fanatical owner, if he/she did. In which case, from their point of view & NOT yours, no harm was done.

Obviously, if the case is as stated, the Mobility Scooter owner is not insured & is, most likely a person of limited means on a disability pension. So, if you find them, what can you do ? Threaten to bring them to court ? That is a no win situation if they cannot pay & cover your costs. Go round to their house & threaten to beat the money out of them ? Not nice :disgust:

There have been a lot of red herrings brought into the discussion with the Police getting their usual bashing, which is totally irrelevant.

This sort of thing happens on a daily basis, unfortunately, in car parks all over both our Islands. I myself have suffered from it. My 19 y.o. car got the 1st ding of it's existence in a car park a few months ago. I cursed, swore & moved on. There are various posts down the years of similar incidents, some much worse than yours.

I sympathise with you, but, as I said- Bite the bullet :wheelchair:

I don't think they can do any harm, tbh if one is about to hit you then most men are strong enough to simply stop it with their bare hands. :rolleyes:

If you saw it coming then maybe , i was almost run into by a mobility rider some time ago , i was standing in romford market looking at something on a stall , when my wife shouted look out and pushed me out the way , had she not done so , then i could have sustained some serious damage , the doddery old !Removed! that was driving it could not care less who was in his way as he drove full pelt through the market with people having to jump out of his way , he must have had his foot to the floor from the speed of the thing , i couldn't agree more with those that have said that these vehicles should be insured in case of accident , that's not a dig at disabled people by the way , i sincerely feel for them , and more should be done to help disabled people ...... Just my two bobs worth

PK, thanks for giving me a good laugh. If you ever run for Prime Minister, please contact me, as you are assured of my vote. :thumbsup:

Decided not to go as an MP this year, but if you have a large wad in a brown envelope that you need to stash then I could be persuaded to change my mind :D: :D: :D:

Why is everyone ‘Sorry’ or ‘They hate to admit’ that sometimes they agree with me?!

I’m not feeling the love on here :angry:

;)

Why is everyone ‘Sorry’ or ‘They hate to admit’ that sometimes they agree with me?!

;)

Your the same on facebook as well :P :lol:

;)

Balli 4 2vrsz83.gifReece :lol: :lol2:

Balli I think you have a .....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links