Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The 12 Volt Battery ?

Ikelos

went out to the car to put some stuff in the boot, the boot was not quite shut, and no way would it open, then I found out that the car had lost all power, dead as a dodo.

so had to call the AA, first time in 50 years of motoring, anyway the AA turned up, opened the bonnet, connected a jump start bit of kit, and got it started, we left it running to put some charge into the Battery, and then took it out for a drive to put more charge in, and now to the point, about time I hear you cry, should it ever happen again, can I just recharge the 12 volt Battery, without messing around under the bonnet.

thank you

went out to the car to put some stuff in the boot, the boot was not quite shut, and no way would it open, then I found out that the car had lost all power, dead as a dodo.

so had to call the AA, first time in 50 years of motoring, anyway the AA turned up, opened the bonnet, connected a jump start bit of kit, and got it started, we left it running to put some charge into the battery, and then took it out for a drive to put more charge in, and now to the point, about time I hear you cry, should it ever happen again, can I just recharge the 12 volt battery, without messing around under the bonnet.

thank you

yes, you can trickle charge the 12v Battery...however in your circumstances you cannot gain access to the Battery if there is no power(you can open boot door by some procedure explained in the hand book but it is very cumbersome to do it)....if you have a booster Battery and you can open the drivers door by using the metal key found in the fob...you have to turn the key sharply anti clockwise and this will allow you to open drivers door, then you can open bonnet and use the booster battery to start the car...by using the terminals as identified in handbook, it is a red coloured terminal.....no need to call AA and reputation is restored.......

Thank you for that, the car was unlocked, it was the boot that I could not open, it was not properly shut, so that had run the Battery down, I had visions should it ever happen again, of putting the back seats down and getting to the Battery from the inside. but, I have learnt my lesson.......... :crybaby:

Hi I have the Battery go flat twice(my fault) I now carry a small booster Battery as it only has to start the computers the 200v Battery starts the engine I have found it is better to have the aircon on so the engine will not automatically stop so quickly or you will have to use the booster battery again you will lose all settings on the on screen display if the 12v battery is totally discharged.

Happened to me last March. It was the RAC that came out and got me going. I double check now that the boot is closed and no interior lights are on.

As this happened to me on my Gen 2, what does anyone think is the best portable jump starter to get?

Would like with an air compressor as well, but assume I need not worry too much re amp rating, even on the 1.8 Gen 3, as it is the main Battery which starts the car?

Just don't want to spend £90 where £40 will do!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links