Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ipod Integration Irritation

seljon

Having paid around £250 for iPod integration on my T-spirit you would expect to get just that. Well you actually only get semi-integration despite a weighty instruction manual. It uses the CD changer part of the stereo rather than aux. It displays the track title on the screen but can't display artist information - therefore you can't select tracks by artist. You can choose random and go backwards and forwards and it claims it can handle playlists but just shows them as numbers - its just pure guesswork which playlist the number refers to. All in all it is badly thought out and executed and I can't believe what they are charging for a half-baked software add on. I wish I had just bought a decent quality iPod holder for the dash - it would have been much easier to control!

It's the worlds most expensive iPhone charger :)

I refused to pay for mine, and have told the dealer that they can have the car back anytime to remove it. They did insist it worked as integration (the sales team did) but the Service manager actually backed me up and said it's garbage. Just waiting to hear now if they are removing it, or writing it off as part of the deal when I bought the car.

Once an iPod is plugged in, you can't use the controls on the iPod as a more logical way of accessing music / podcasts etc. It's my only disappointment with the car so far however, and I am speaking as a converted petrolhead :)

I used to use a Dension IceLink and it was very similar. One thought (not backed up by any real research) is that perhaps proper Ipod integration just isn't really possible.

I used to use a Dension IceLink and it was very similar. One thought (not backed up by any real research) is that perhaps proper Ipod integration just isn't really possible.

It is for our brothers over the pond, with their control unit they get integration

It is for our brothers over the pond, with their control unit they get integration

The difference in specification between countries seems totally bizarre. Much as I dislike the thought of anything Apple, if you are going to integrate an iPod, then do it properly - and don't provide a dodgy version especially for the UK market.

BTW, my Android phone appears to integrate really well via the standard bluetooth link. The only downside is that I can't use it as a phone at the same time. Quite annoying, as I mostly listen to audio books, where the hard disk is irrelevant, but an MP3 player would be a good alternative to MP3 CD as I think it allows more than the 255 track limit.

My favourite idiocy is the cruise control. In the US, with relatively low density freeways, they have adaptive cruise control. In the UK, which really needs it for the high density motorways, it isn't an option.

I am using a HTC Desire with Android 2.1 and mine streams bluetooth and does hands free, if a call comes in, it just pauses the stream mate. I set it up as a bluetooth Media device first with the head unit then added it as the hands free phone and it's been fine.

No track info displayed though, but other than that it's a great solution.

Hi, I found this company as they do devices for Lexus and Toyota in the US. As they support the latest Lexus models in the US that use the same 40GB HDD sat nav unit in the UK Prius I though I'd take a closer. Look. I've had an initial skim thru and it looks very promising. What do you think?

This is the device - http://www.multimedialinq.com/vml.php

This is the manual - http://www.multimedialinq.com/manuals/Manual_VML_v2010.pdf

Besides iPod/iPhone and USB support it offers a few extra options I like the sound of:

1. You can optionally host an internal HDD if you wish (up to 80GB) that you can transfer files too from a USB device

2. It plays MP3, WAV and FLAC formats. FLAC is a lossless compression format.

Hi, I found this company as they do devices for Lexus and Toyota in the US. As they support the latest Lexus models in the US that use the same 40GB HDD sat nav unit in the UK Prius I though I'd take a closer. Look. I've had an initial skim thru and it looks very promising. What do you think?This is the device - http://www.multimedialinq.com/vml.phpThis is the manual - http://www.multimedialinq.com/manuals/Manual_VML_v2010.pdfBesides iPod/iPhone and USB support it offers a few extra options I like the sound of:1. You can optionally host an internal HDD if you wish (up to 80GB) that you can transfer files too from a USB device2. It plays MP3, WAV and FLAC formats. FLAC is a lossless compression format.

That looks great but pretty expensive - add that in to what I have already paid for the kit and you are getting on for £500 - its a joke. Why couldn't Toyota just get it right first time - its not as if they haven't had plenty of years to practice with an ipod!

• 3 months later...

It's the worlds most expensive iPhone charger :)

I refused to pay for mine, and have told the dealer that they can have the car back anytime to remove it. They did insist it worked as integration (the sales team did) but the Service manager actually backed me up and said it's garbage. Just waiting to hear now if they are removing it, or writing it off as part of the deal when I bought the car.

Once an iPod is plugged in, you can't use the controls on the iPod as a more logical way of accessing music / podcasts etc. It's my only disappointment with the car so far however, and I am speaking as a converted petrolhead :)

Oh dear, I wish I had subscribed to this forum before taking delivery of my Avensis T4 with iPod interface kit yesterday.

I agree the iPod interface kit it's a complete waste of money. Since your Sales Manager agreed with you, did they remove yours, or re-imburse you?

I was expecing the same functionality provided by Audi MMI in my previous car. The Audi MMI replicates ALL iPod functions, Search/Select/Display/Artist/Album/Genre etc. The Toyota iPod interface kit does nothing but play a random track and show the track name. No search funtions whatsoever. It just sees the iPod as a CD with a max of 99 tracks. (Not much use when your iPod contains 14,000)

To any serious iPod users - avoid this kit like the plague

Never mind - you live and learn.

I don't think it is that bad actually. The instructions and information do clearly state the limitation and that you can only select on playlist, album or title. So just not on artist nor genre. Not a big deal to me.

Please note that it sees each album or playlist as a CD with a max of 99 tracks. And then it moves on to the next one, so yes you can have your 14,000 sounds all playing.

The thing is a Dension or the like would be similar money and you have still the same issue, it is a simulation of a CD changer.

Beats constantly burning CD's or the rubbish integrated CDDB that doesn't recognise anything done recently for obvious reasons.

The problem I am in discussion about with Toyota UK is the lack of support of my wives iPod Nano nor my iPhone 3G despite being on the supported items list....Their current stance is that they are too new ;-) Quite amazing for a 12 month old iPod and a 3 year old phone. Considering the car was built 1 month ago.

Sound quality is good though!

Bearing in mind that Apple won't let adobe flash player on the I-pad, why should we expect them to let mere motor manufacturers have full access to their products??

Bearing in mind that apple won't let adobe flash player on the I-pad, why should we expect them to let mere motor manufacturers have full access to their products??

Nothing to do with each other really, the specification for the iPOD control is in the public domain. It is only when you want to bear the logo in your marketing that you have to pay for it.

Headunit manufacturers have all the information freely available to them, and some like Mercedes, BMW, Audi do get the specifications right. But many Asian companies just don't get it for whatever reason, have you ever been to a Karoake bar? Just take a look at how complex a user interface the selection for a song can be for something that should be so simple. Also there are a flood of cheap double din headunits on eBay, great specifications for the hardware, but the user interface is just a mess. Same for this HDD setup, they could have made it better, the information is freely available, but it was probably done by techies...

Sorry if this is already known (or irrelevant for the OP), but during my test drive of the Auris HSD a few days ago I made sure to test my iPhone 4 in different ways. Using the built-in USB port in the glove compartment and the bluetooth audio pairing.

When using the standard Apple USB cable I was locked out from the iPod application on the phone, but could control volume and track forward/back through the playlist via the steering wheel controls. Rather limited but worked as long as you setup your playlist first.

When just using the bluetooth audio pairing (with power via the 12v cigarette lighter) I was able to have the same control using the steering wheel, but now I could control the iPod app and change music selections. I believe this functionality was only just added to the bluetooth support on the iPhone via iOS4.1 update.

I just wish there was a 12v power outlet somewhere nearer the dash, rather than in the stupidly positioned one by the handbrake. I've had to order a 2m Apple connector which will then have to trail around half the dash to reach my iPhone in its cradle, where I'll be using it as satnav and music player.

I don't think it is that bad actually. The instructions and information do clearly state the limitation and that you can only select on playlist, album or title. So just not on artist nor genre. Not a big deal to me.

Please note that it sees each album or playlist as a CD with a max of 99 tracks. And then it moves on to the next one, so yes you can have your 14,000 sounds all playing.

The thing is a Dension or the like would be similar money and you have still the same issue, it is a simulation of a CD changer.

Beats constantly burning CD's or the rubbish integrated CDDB that doesn't recognise anything done recently for obvious reasons.

The problem I am in discussion about with Toyota UK is the lack of support of my wives iPod Nano nor my iPhone 3G despite being on the supported items list....Their current stance is that they are too new ;-) Quite amazing for a 12 month old iPod and a 3 year old phone. Considering the car was built 1 month ago.

Sound quality is good though!

mmmmm - interesting. I know what you mean about 99 tracks per virtual CD, but how on earth do you search for anything. Say (God forbid) I was happily listening to a Daniel O'Donnell album and wanted to switch to an Eminem album, even if I knew the name of the album its impossible other than scrolling one track by one, through each virtual CD. There is no search facility. The point is I've paid hundreds for an iPod interface which is actually less convenient than the AUX input you get for free. At least you can use your iPod functions with the bog-standard AUX input. So what have I got for my money?

Maybe I was being too optimistic having experienced Audi MMI.

I agree with you, if you have a few songs and don't mind scrolling up and down each virtual CD until you find something you fancy, then it's fine. Otherwise ....

And yes they could have made it better, but as said before dension and the likes do it the same. The big advantage over the aux port is safety and avoiding fines/penalties. I really hope nobody is searching on their actual iPod whilst driving.

I am getting a new prius on October 1st and was about to contact the dealer tomorrow to order the ipod accessory but I am really glad I have joined your forum and have read your entry! Thanks

I assume you won't know or go in it eyes wide open, but what is the alternative that will be used? Haven't heard anyone come up with an alternative.

And yes they could have made it better, but as said before dension and the likes do it the same. The big advantage over the aux port is safety and avoiding fines/penalties. I really hope nobody is searching on their actual iPod whilst driving.

Not only searching on their I-pod, but doing their makeup and window shopping as well :)

I assume you won't know or go in it eyes wide open, but what is the alternative that will be used? Haven't heard anyone come up with an alternative.

With respect, the alternative is to use the AUX input which is supplied free of charge. Sound quality is identical (although output levels from iPod are lower) and it is far more convenient and safer to pull over, select a new album on your iPod, and continue on your travels than attempt to scroll through on screen, 14000 tracks, 99 a time, in no specific order, with no idea of the artist or album.

Toyota - take a leaf out of Audi, BMW or Mercedes book and get the interface right, or don't bother at all.

By the way, just thought I'd add that the car itself is fantastic - I am an official Toyota convert !

• 10 months later...

I have just got a 2011 10th Aniversary Prius and was concerned about using my iPhone / iPod for music in it after reading many negative posts about this subject.

1st disapointment was no USB connector, maybe this comes in a pack not Inc in the 10th, but anyway it seems from posts that the integration via USB is still very basic.

It connects fine via Blutooth - but only control options seem to be play, pause, next / last track which means selecting artists, albums has to be done on the iPhone it self. This is not only fidlly while driving I'm prety sure it is illegal! Same applies to AUX connected iPod, except that means no control at all other than volume.

There is the Record CD to HDD option, but I buy all my music as mp3 downloads that would mean burning them all to CDs, one album at a time, then inserting them and waiting for them to transfer to the HDD - which takes quite a while.

However after a little research I have found, for me, the perfect solution. The CD player also reads DVDs ! I take no credit for this discovery as I found it on another post, but it is the game changer as this means you can record 60 - 70 CDs onto a single DVD-R eg 4.5Gb of music on a sigle disk :)

First try was to simply copy the mp3 files in their Artist/Album/Track format to a DVD-ROM format DVD. This has apparently worked for other people, with the limitation that you need to then add all metadata (Artist Album Track name) manually. However for me the Prius would not even read the DVD.

Second try was to use NERO 'Jukebox Audio' format for the DVD and whalla the Prius audio reads it like one huge CD with Artist Album and Track names automatically recognised :) Simply using the touch screen, or steering wheel controls, I can select artists albumbs and tracks without touching my iPhone or iPod - aka legally and safely. I can't see any difference in the DVD folders and files in this format as opposed to DVD-ROM but the Prius audo system obviosly does.

I have not yet figured out how to transfer the DVD albums to the HDD - but I can have the equivalent of the HDD on just 2 DVDs, and much more if I burn more DVDs - so for me the better solution.

It connects fine via Blutooth - but only control options seem to be play, pause, next / last track which means selecting artists, albums has to be done on the iPhone it self. This is not only fidlly while driving I'm prety sure it is illegal!

This is going to be improved in iOS5:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=126086

bluetoothiphone-500x276.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links