Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Plan To Modify The Iq To Maximise Fuel Efficiency

BarryIQ

As title.

Other than driving hobby, I am thinking ways to maximuse fuel efficiency by modifying the car.

At this instance I am planning to:

1.) Change to a light weight alloy wheel, could use some cheap Carbon Fibre wheel. Even alot of them are still in the testing phase, I think they are suitable for IQ because we won't use it for street racing and the car is light enough.

2.) Use Eco friendly tyre, looking at Michelin tyre eco series which feature to save 5% on fuel, since it is only an official figure, I assume the real figure should be 3-4% instead.

3.) Lower the IQ by modfying the suspension, aim at reducing wind resistance on road.

4.) Remove the backseat and store them in the garage as I will be driving alone or with my gf most of the time.

I hope everyone can share their experience here. Any inputs are very welcome :)

An under tray under the car might help too, Smarts have them. Mudflaps too were used to get CO2 levels down on the CDi city-coupe's so must help fuel economy too. I like Conti Eco contacts, fitted as std when I bought my Smart although they also us a Bridgestone B340.

Carbon wheels will be ££££'s I'd have thought & out weigh any fuel cost savings!

Kate

Remove al the isolation materials.

Remove the electric window motors and all other non essential electronics like the airco unit.

Smaller mirrors.

Other (light weight seats)

Make it an Aygo in other words.......................... :help:

An under tray under the car might help too, Smarts have them. Mudflaps too were used to get CO2 levels down on the CDi city-coupe's so must help fuel economy too. I like Conti Eco contacts, fitted as std when I bought my Smart although they also us a Bridgestone B340.

Carbon wheels will be ££££'s I'd have thought & out weigh any fuel cost savings!

Kate

What is the purpose of an under tray I wonder.

By the way I can manage to get a demo set of semi carbon fibre wheel here at around 800Euro. Limited time offer tho and there is only 1 set.

Kate

By the way I can manage to get a demo set of semi carbon fibre wheel here at around 800Euro. Limited time offer tho and there is only 1 set.

Kate, the purpose of the undertray is to smooth the airflow passing underneath the car this in turn creates less drag hence better efficiency

Si

Put yourself on a diet, get rid of the GF. :D

Put yourself on a diet, get rid of the GF. :D

Haha, my weight should be less than most European. My gf is already telling me today 'I will take your IQ if we break up'... (By law she might be entitle to share half of my asset here :P)

Kate

Kate, the purpose of the undertray is to smooth the airflow passing underneath the car this in turn creates less drag hence better efficiency

Si

Hmm please correct me if I am wrong, an undertray mean extra weight on the small CC IQ. It gotta be carbon fibre or else there is no point. Not sure if there is a carbon fibre undertray for IQ tho...

r all iq owners not right in the head ,or is it just you? or do you just like attention, as you seem to answer most topics.

r all iq owners not right in the head ,or is it just you? or do you just like attention, as you seem to answer most topics.

Are you pointing at me? :)

I didn't just answer, I think I've asked more than answer lol. And it got nothing to do about attention, I am just a new owner and a super fans of this little car... There are so many questions about IQ in my head and I wish to know her(IQ) inside out.

As for answering... Its too greedy if I just ask and not answering others, agree? I love to share knowledge and thats part of the purpose of a forum. Hope its not too hard to understand :)

yes barry i am pointing at you, you say you r a new owner of a iq , who in their right mind would do what you say you are going to do to get greater fuel efficiency,i stand by what i first said, you not right in the head.

yes barry i am pointing at you, you say you r a new owner of a iq , who in their right mind would do what you say you are going to do to get greater fuel efficiency,i stand by what i first said, you not right in the head.

Thanks for your comment. You opnion on right or not right does not really matter to me :). But your post is off topic here :rolleyes:

Maybe you should open up another topic and discuss your own opnion about IQ owners?

There is a fine line between insanity and genius.

If owning an iQ is considered slightly nuts then I'd have two please!

(being the owner of a Conformist Corolla)

Anyway to the subject of lowering fuel costs.

- If you are changing wheels. Their drag coefficient is probably going to have a larger impact than their weight. You want ones with as flat and closed face as possible. Look at the old Citroen CX - completely closed wheels but had air scoops to cool the breaks.

- Reduce the rolling contact surface by putting on narrow wheels

- make sure wheels are properly pumped. 2.5 bar will make sure they roll easily

- A cheap option is to tape all panel gaps to reduce turbulence (more effective than pretty though)

- An undertray may help, but make sure everything gets enough cooling.

- As you mention - lowering the suspension will also help slightly

At the end of the day these are all small incremental improvements and you are unlikely to ever see a return on your investment in financial terms so I would see this as more of an interesting and fun project. But maybe I'm a little "half tank full"!

There is a fine line between insanity and genius.

If owning an iQ is considered slightly nuts then I'd have two please!

(being the owner of a Conformist Corolla)

Anyway to the subject of lowering fuel costs.

- If you are changing wheels. Their drag coefficient is probably going to have a larger impact than their weight. You want ones with as flat and closed face as possible. Look at the old Citroen CX - completely closed wheels but had air scoops to cool the breaks.

- Reduce the rolling contact surface by putting on narrow wheels

- make sure wheels are properly pumped. 2.5 bar will make sure they roll easily

- A cheap option is to tape all panel gaps to reduce turbulence (more effective than pretty though)

- An undertray may help, but make sure everything gets enough cooling.

- As you mention - lowering the suspension will also help slightly

At the end of the day these are all small incremental improvements and you are unlikely to ever see a return on your investment in financial terms so I would see this as more of an interesting and fun project. But maybe I'm a little "half tank full"!

Thanks your your input, However:

"- Reduce the rolling contact surface by putting on narrow wheels" I've read the carbible (a website) which stated narrow wheel does not mean less rolling contact surface, if the weight of the car and pressure inside the tyre remain unchange, then the contact surface of a narrow tyre will have more deformation. Hence giving the same contact surface as a wider tyre.

The 2nd option is not feasible for me lol, but thats creative!

I agree with you on the fact that at the end of the day, it is not going to worth my investment. I am just trying to get an optimal solution here and not going anywhere near the extreme :P

There are always good and cheap option such as removing the backseats lol, which is absolutely free.

Thanks your your input, However:

"- Reduce the rolling contact surface by putting on narrow wheels" I've read the carbible (a website) which stated narrow wheel does not mean less rolling contact surface, if the weight of the car and pressure inside the tyre remain unchange, then the contact surface of a narrow tyre will have more deformation. Hence giving the same contact surface as a wider tyre.

The 2nd option is not feasible for me lol, but thats creative!

I agree with you on the fact that at the end of the day, it is not going to worth my investment. I am just trying to get an optimal solution here and not going anywhere near the extreme :P

There are always good and cheap option such as removing the backseats lol, which is absolutely free.

You are right - theoretically no difference in contact area. In the same way there is no difference in grip/friction between a narrow and wide tyre. In reality though narrow wheels will be more efficient but offer less cornering stability. Narrower wheels weigh less and generate less noise (which is energy). Theoretically you can also inflate narrow wheels to a higher pressure (like racing bicycles).

Anyway - great project! Keep us posted on your progress.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links