Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Wing Mirror Cover

Jolly English Gentleman

Shortly after I got my Prius I scuffed my wing mirror on the garage door frame, due to it being slightly wider than my old Corrolla. These covers are replaceable and I have managed to secure one.

I was going to ask this question on Priuschat, but the site has a few problems with an undesirable pop up at the moment.

Anyway I will ask it here. Has anyone ever tried taking the cover off and where do you need to squeeze it to pop it off? Looking at the replacement it should be a matter of pinching the top and bottom and hey presto, but I can't shift it.

Suggestions anyone?

Might be an idea to get some advice from your Toyota dealer.................They can be very helpful :thumbsup:

When my mirror got "taken off" by an idiot driver who never stopped. The local dealer replaced mirror and cover. Suggest you ring your dealer and get advice. I would not think it would be very expensive if they did the job for you.

Although I have brought some extra bits from my local dealer after buying the car (carpet mats and touch up paint), I did not buy the car from them and found them rather unhelpful in sourcing a T Spirit. They seem only to want to sell pristine low milers and despatch higher milers off to auctions without giving anyone a chance to buy. My car although originally supplied by the local dealer had to be brought home from a dealer 200 miles away. OK it was an ex lease fleet car, but the point still remains. Why do local cars find their way into auctions miles away? My partner's Yaris (also supplied new and serviced by the local dealer), had to be brought home from a dealer 140 miles away. Now it is fact that cars locally in the used market cost more than they do in urban conurbations, but it makes no sense for dealers to put them in an auction and get less money for them just because the profile of the vehicle (say low mileage, but older, or newer but high mileage with wear and tear such as stone chips that can easily be put right) does not fit in with the profile of pre owned Toyota's on their forecourt.

I suspect the fact that I have simply spent a few pounds on a train ticket and saved over a thousand (probably nearer three, with both cars allowing for the fact that their finance was not needed either) has put their nose out of joint. I also drove a very hard bargain when I brought my first Corolla - again high mileage so I knocked them down well below the asking price when I pointed out that they would never get what I put on the table at auction. That was getting on for 10 years ago but no doubt someone remembers! I do know that in those days their servicing was shoddy as well - something that was common accross the industry then - remember the secret filming of a main dealer (not Toyota) blowing on an air filter and putting it back in.

I did ask the dealer about the bluetooth issue with the car - it cannot remember a phone - and the dealer did not even know that the T Spirit 2nd gen had handsfree phone capability. It does not inspire a lot of confidence in them.

I know of someone whose daughter brought a Yaris (that did fit their newish low mileage profile) from them and when collected it had some scratches on the front wing which were not noticed until the car was inspected by another family member. Dealer tried to argue that it must have happened after the car had left the forecourt. They did eventually have to concede that it was done before the car left the forecourt when it was pointed out to them that rust was showing through the scratches and agreed to repair and respray the wing.

Point is given past knowledge of the dealer and these more recent occurances when no one should experience a lack of knowledge or attempts to deny responsibility from any Toyota dealer especially at the height (as the last two events were) of the recall crisis gives me no desire to put any more money their way than I have to.

Advice from our local Toyota dealer costs nothing they are always most helpful. My experience with Toyota dealers has been very good. Worst service I have ever had was from a British Leyland dealer and the worst car I have ever owned was a Montego supplied by them. Best cars and service I have received has been from Toyota dealers.

• 3 years later...

Did anyone ever answer the question.. I just need to know how to pop off the cover? Squeeze ,push ,pull where?

Did anyone ever answer the question.. I just need to know how to pop off the cover? Squeeze ,push ,pull where?

Using a plastic spludger blade (or if you have finger nails, use them), on the short vertical edge, get between the plastic cover and the black seal and give it a good positive shove in the forward direction. It should just pop off.

Thanks sorted! Found it easier to pop out the mirror glass and then unclip from inside with flat head! Cover came off easy then! Ta

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links