Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starter 'click' Problem Again

sentinel

Dear All,

It would seem that there are several mails about this topic, but I am not sure which one would apply to me.

Basically what happened was I tried to start the Previa and there was a loud 'click' and the dashboard lights went out. I tried again and there was nothing.

I let it sit for several minutes and tried again and the lights came on but the same thing happened. It was a hot day and the sun was covered by cloud and I tried again after about 30 mins and it started. I contacted my local dealer and he said that it might be the contacts in the starter motor, but I have since discovered that it may be the automatic gearbox inhibitor switch. Can anyone give me some suggestions please?

The previa is almost 20 years old (J) but has only done 80,000 miles.

I'm hoping it can be repaired by myself.

best regards,

sentinel.

(Scott)

Dear All,

It would seem that there are several mails about this topic, but I am not sure which one would apply to me.

Basically what happened was I tried to start the Previa and there was a loud 'click' and the dashboard lights went out. I tried again and there was nothing.

I let it sit for several minutes and tried again and the lights came on but the same thing happened. It was a hot day and the sun was covered by cloud and I tried again after about 30 mins and it started. I contacted my local dealer and he said that it might be the contacts in the starter motor, but I have since discovered that it may be the automatic gearbox inhibitor switch. Can anyone give me some suggestions please?

best regards,

sentinel.

(Scott)

Ok, inhibitor switch and starter contacts will not kill the dash board lights. That is classic Battery connection problems. The Battery terminals are either dirty or tight, or both. Remove the Battery connection, clean the battery posts and also the inside of the battery terminals with sandpaper so that everything is shiny. Hook the battery back up, making sure that they are tight.

Dear All,

best regards,

sentinel.

(Scott)

Ok, inhibitor switch and starter contacts will not kill the dash board lights. That is classic Battery connection problems. The Battery terminals are either dirty or tight, or both. Remove the Battery connection, clean the battery posts and also the inside of the battery terminals with sandpaper so that everything is shiny. Hook the battery back up, making sure that they are tight.

Dear Trev and Richard,

OK I will give that a try.............this might be the case as I put a new Battery in a few months ago so it could have worked loose. I though that if it was the Battery then there would be a fading of the lights as the starter clicked. I phoned the garage a third time and they are now suggesting that it might be the contacts in the barrel of the key for the ignition are worn. However as I have recently also started to do relatively short runs in the Previa, it may be that the Battery also needs a charge up and the two things combined might cause the effect I'm having. Thanks very much.

Best regards,

Scott.

Dear Trev and Richard,

Again....thank you very much......when I checked the Battery terminals the +ve was so loose I could twist it around so hopefully tightening it up should do the trick.

Best regards,

Scott. (Pike)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links