Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Squeaky Brakes

catherine L

My car has started making squealy noises.. seems to be coming from the front drivers wheel, like a v high pitched bird song. It stops when I brake, so I assume its something rubbing and the brakes work fine. Is there anything I can do to stop it, or should it go to the garage? Seems to be worse when its hot.. or maybe I just hear it more as the window is open!

The first thing i would do is apply copper ease to the rear and side of the pads.

That is most likely what is causing the squeaky brakes.

check the wear on your pads when they get low they squeal

lol daves got a point as well i missed that hehe pads squeal when they get low you should change them as soon as obviously brakes on your car are important. if you can watch your mechanic when they fit the new pads because ive noticed my brakes do squeak and this is probably because my mechanic doesnt apply copper grease to the back of the pad, only to the top and bottom parts.

The first thing i would do is apply copper ease to the rear and side of the pads.

That is most likely what is causing the squeaky brakes.

It should be stressed here that the application of copper grease should only be carried out if you have the knowledge of what you are doing when servicing braking systems.

If the copper grease is applied in the wrong position then the brakes will be rendered useless.

Copper grease should NEVER be applied to the braking friction surfaces!

Thanks! Will defo check the pads. Only bought the car last Oct and it allegedly had new pads and disks last March, the seller pointed out the new-ness of them through the spaces in the alloy wheels and they looked good, but am no expert. Redyaris that is good advice, wont be messing with any copper grease myself.. wouldnt have a clue where to put the stuff, other than you shouldnt rub it on the disks! :huh:

Wheres is the best place to get copper grease and how much?

Ive recently put copper grease where the brake pads make contact with the piston and caliper, week later im back to the squeeks. Pads have plenty of life in them... Ive put it down to the hot weather an just left it.

TAF it can also be the compound used in the pad. harder compounds (generally found on pads rated as 'fast street' or 'street') tend to squeak more. but the weather is a problem also.

I have had this problem for quite some time.

Its odd low roll squeak, Its the brakes for sure as my mechanic fixed it but the moment i once removed calipers the noise came back.

Pads have plenty of life left in them. My mechanic who works in toyota said the pads needed to be lined up correctly. (Im certain they are lined up correctly the piston would just push them into place once the pedal is pumped)

He also used a special white grease which looked very similar to white lithium grease. He used this on the edges of the pads which sit in the metal retainers. The squeak went but the moment i undone my calipers the noise is back.

Its brake related because when i press the brakes the sound goes, Its only really at low speed when im rolling its a squeak on rotation.

So far i have made sure my sliders are not seized, The backing of my pads are well greased up, Edges of the pad are now sprayed with white lithium grease just cant think what he did that i didnt! :unsure:

Iv changed brakes on quite a few cars aswell and never had a squeaking problem with them but my personal car just squeaks :censor:

Farhan the slow roll squeak is it coming form the rear? my car has this problem too, when rolling backwards it is my rear discs and pads are nackered and need changing. when rolling forward the back wheels make a ssh-ssh-ssh-ssh noise and my mechanic blamed my nackered rear brakes again...there is no play in the hubs on the rear or anything so i am honestly stumped. if new brake discs and pads dont fix the squeak i'll be p**sed off 'cos its really annoying!

i dont mean to patronise but once the squeak went away after your mechanic sorted it why did you open the caliper again? :P

Mines from the front brakes, Its always the front either driver or passenger.

My brakes are defo fine, Mines mainly once warmed up a bit slow roll squeak say im sitting in traffic rolling along in first gear its on every wheel rotation squeak squeak, not loud but when windows are down you can hear it.

Ahh i opened the caliper up to paint them LOL :!Removed!:

I need to paint my calipers too, thinking of painting black with silver aftermarket rims and the car is also silver. Did you just rub them down with some sandpaper and then get to work with paintbrush?

Yea to make it easy on yourself undo the caliper (2x 12mm bolts), slide that off and rest it on the suspension beam and undo the pad retainer (2x 16mm bolts) and it will give you more access to give it a good rubbing down with some course wet and dry (for metal) rather than sandpaper.

When i did my 52's, there was so must rust build up, the wet and dry didnt cut it so I chizzled a load of it off. But i agree that silver on silver cars looks good :) You can take the disc off to access the caliper easier for painting without having to disconnect the brake hoses with the pad retainer off.

I bought a red facelift TS last week though, so i'm thinking black calipers for that. Also have that slow rolling squeek on the front left, but had the pads and sliders out tonight. One of the sliders was rusted so I greased that up good and its working a lot smoother now, see if the squeek has gone in the morning.

My brakes are defo fine, Mines mainly once warmed up a bit slow roll squeak say im sitting in traffic rolling along in first gear its on every wheel rotation squeak squeak, not loud but when windows are down you can hear it.

Ahh i opened the caliper up to paint them LOL :shutit:

The brake pads are always lightly touching the discs which is why they sqeak when you are driving along.When you brake the pressure is more so it stops.What you need to do is remove the pads and rub them lightly on some emery paper until the surface is "roughed up"a little.Then,coat the back of the pads and the sliding surfaces with the appropriate brake grease,but NOT the friction material.Then use the emery paper to all disc surfaces and "rough"theses up too.Basically you are deglazing all the friction surfaces so they are not shiny and the grease should eliminate the noise too.Hope this works for you.

Remember that certain pads may produce more noise and dust than others so if it returns you may want to try a different make of brake pads.

Ahh i opened the caliper up to paint them LOL :!Removed!:

Exactly what I have currently too. I thought it was my rear off-side, so i whipped that off, cleaned everything and copper greased all necessary surfaces but the squeak is still there, I'll have to attack the front off-side at the weekend now as well and see if I can finally get rid of the squeak.

let me know if you solve this its driving me nuts lol, all i recall what the tech said at the time was

he greased pad backings, lined them up, greased edges of pads and the retainers they sit in. he said something like toyota shanfer grease or pads something along those lines.....i was like ok whatever you sorted it thats the main thing lol.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links