Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Towbar Wiring

jonddd

Our 07 plate XTR diesel has a Westphalia detachable ball towbar. This is brilliant as when it is unplugged you cannot tell (unless you look underneath) that the car is fitted with a 'hook'. It is wired for normal indicators, lights etc. but I now want to put on the additional voltage control module so that the car will charge the caravan Battery. It is fairly straightforward and plugs into the already fitted towbar loom, but as a couple of wires need to be attached directly to the Battery I have to find a route for the wires to go through the bulkhead behind the glove box. This area is pretty full of equipment both sides of the bulkhead, and drilling a hole (if you could get at it) doesn't seem possible. Is there a route from behind the glovebox through to the engine compartment?

Jon

Jon,

I've put a high current feed in from the Battery for my transceivers.

If you want, I'll try to take some pictures of the power feed installation, but a majority of the wiring harness on the nearside comes through the bulkhead via a large grommet/seal. If you take out the glovebox, get a torch, you can see it, sort of high left.

If you open the bonnet and get your hand between the bulkhead and the nearside suspension "turret", you can just about feel the other side of the "grommet", if you stretch.

Now, it is probably unlikely you can feed a new cable in with the existing ones, (well I couldn't easily), but there is what looks like a blanked off "teat" as part of the existing seal. I cut this off, fed the cable through it and re-sealed with some sealant.

Perhaps there is a better way, but it worked for me.

Any help?

Jon,

I've put a high current feed in from the battery for my transceivers.

If you want, I'll try to take some pictures of the power feed installation, but a majority of the wiring harness on the nearside comes through the bulkhead via a large grommet/seal. If you take out the glovebox, get a torch, you can see it, sort of high left.

If you open the bonnet and get your hand between the bulkhead and the nearside suspension "turret", you can just about feel the other side of the "grommet", if you stretch.

Now, it is probably unlikely you can feed a new cable in with the existing ones, (well I couldn't easily), but there is what looks like a blanked off "teat" as part of the existing seal. I cut this off, fed the cable through it and re-sealed with some sealant.

Perhaps there is a better way, but it worked for me.

Any help?

Thanks for replying, that is very helpful. If you can manage a photo that would be great.

Jon

Thanks for replying, that is very helpful. If you can manage a photo that would be great.

Will do, haven't forgotten, just bear with me for a while :thumbsup:

As promised. I'm sure a lot (if not all) of this is obvious, but while I had the camera out, I did the lot for completeness.

I put my cable in some under-bonnet conduit and ran it along side an existing run (new black conduit labelled "A" in photo below).

The grommet/seal you are looking for is behind the top of the suspension (label "B"). Bit awkward to get to. You have to put your hand around the back of the suspension top (label "C"). I can't remember if, when the top valence is taken off, whether access would be easier. wiper arms have to come off for that. I didn't bother and just felt my way.

ubfeed.jpg

You can't get your head in to see the seal from the bonnet side (well mine's too big! :rolleyes:), but I can get the camera in:

ubgrommet.jpg

My cable in the black conduit can bee seen going into the seal. There's a teat/nipple moulded into the seal, that you can cut off. You might need a fish-wire from inside behind the glove box, to get things started.

From behind the glove box, the seal is labelled "F". My cable is wrapped in the felt label "D". label "E" is just an extra fuse for my relay.

cabgrommet.jpg

...and a zoomed out image, so you can get your bearings.

glovebox.jpg

As promised. I'm sure a lot (if not all) of this is obvious, but while I had the camera out, I did the lot for completeness.

I put my cable in some under-bonnet conduit and ran it along side an existing run (new black conduit labelled "A" in photo below).

The grommet/seal you are looking for is behind the top of the suspension (label "B"). Bit awkward to get to. You have to put your hand around the back of the suspension top (label "C"). I can't remember if, when the top valence is taken off, whether access would be easier. Wiper arms have to come off for that. I didn't bother and just felt my way.

ubfeed.jpg

You can't get your head in to see the seal from the bonnet side (well mine's too big! :rolleyes:), but I can get the camera in:

ubgrommet.jpg

My cable in the black conduit can bee seen going into the seal. There's a teat/nipple moulded into the seal, that you can cut off. You might need a fish-wire from inside behind the glove box, to get things started.

From behind the glove box, the seal is labelled "F". My cable is wrapped in the felt label "D". label "E" is just an extra fuse for my relay.

cabgrommet.jpg

glovebox.jpg

ANOTHER very helpful post SHCM - if you get fed up of electronics you could always take up professional photography :thumbsup: Keep it up guy!

The grommet/seal you are looking for is behind the top of the suspension (label "B"). Bit awkward to get to. You have to put your hand around the back of the suspension top (label "C"). I can't remember if, when the top valence is taken off, whether access would be easier. Wiper arms have to come off for that. I didn't bother and just felt my way.

ubfeed.jpg

ubgrommet.jpg

cabgrommet.jpg

glovebox.jpg

ANOTHER very helpful post SHCM - if you get fed up of electronics you could always take up professional photography :thumbsup: Keep it up guy!

A terrific help. I shall make a start this evening.

Thank you, Jon

ANOTHER very helpful post SHCM

A terrific help. I shall make a start this evening.

Thank you, Jon

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links