Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Quiet Life In A Child-Free Village

Raistlin

_48236540_firhill_bbc_226.jpg

Residents of Firhall, built in the early Noughties on the outskirts of Nairn in the Highlands, must abide by certain rules.

The deeds for their properties prohibit the keeping of ducks, rabbits, pigeons and bees.

Households are allowed to have one dog - but controversially no resident children.

To own a house in Firhall you must be over 45 years old.

Media 'hype'

Grandchildren and the children of friends can visit and stay, but there are even limits on how often this happens.

For BBC Radio 4's Far From the Madding Child, presenter Kati Whitaker looked at how things have turned out since Firhall opened in 2003.

She asks if it is desirable, or even practical, to encourage the sort of settlements where older people are segregated from the rest of society.

Residents say Firhall offers peace and quiet

Estate agent Lesley-Ann Fraser told the programme-makers of the media's initial reaction to the development.

She said: "The media hyped it up to such an extent you would really think anybody who wanted to live in a village like this was an ogre and they hated children.

"It was a bit like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang."

David Eccles, chairman of Firhall Trust, said in reality nothing could be further from the truth.

He said many of those who chose to live in the village have grandchildren and the youngsters were always welcome to visit.

Mr Eccles added: "Living here gives a certain measure of peace and quiet which is what many of us look forward to as we are getting older."

However, people have sold up and left after their sons or daughters have had children and they preferred to live somewhere without Firhall's constraints.

Retired BT engineer Jimmy Greig told BBC Scotland that the child-free element was not what attracted him and his wife to the 93-home development.

He said: "It was the house, the price of the house, the area and the access to Inverness Airport.

"Nairn is a beautiful place and there is golf, bowls and any other kinds of sport available. That is what sold it for us."

Another resident Edwina Ellis said the beauty and ambience of Firhall drew her and her husband to move there.

She said: "There is a lot of bird song and lovely wildlife. You see squirrels every day. It's just a lovely place to live."

I was in my regular pub/restaurant some time ago & a squalling Brat was raising Cain in the room & spoiling my quiet time & meditation upon the meaning of life.. [there isn't any :( ]

So I called a Waitress whom I know well & can take a joke, over to my table. I asked her to show me her hands, which she did. "Ok, sez I. They'll do. Go over now & strangle that Brat"

She nearly wet herself :lol2:

_48236540_firhill_bbc_226.jpg

To own a house in Firhall you must be over 45 years old.

Households are allowed to have one dog - but controversially no resident children.

"Living here gives a certain measure of peace and quiet which is what many of us look forward to as we are getting older."

"...a beautiful place and there is golf, bowls and any other kinds of sport available. That is what sold it for us."

..."There is a lot of bird song and lovely wildlife. You see squirrels every day. It's just a lovely place to live."

What a tossy f*cked up place that is ! We get all that & more, PLUS young families, & "resident" children's laughter etc.....just seems so pointless IMHO.

But did she do it ? censored.gif

No, unfortunately. I was severely tempted,to, though :ffs:

Anything for a quite life...

Very true. :yes: But I mightn't like my Cell mate.................or He/they might like me :sick:

Very true. yes.gif But I mightn't like my Cell mate.................or He/they might like me sick.gif

Biz in prison and this huge cellmate said "Do you want to be the man or the wife"

Biz being quick witted said " I'll be the the man"

His cellmate replied " Ok, now get over here and suck your wifes .... eek.gif

Very true. yes.gif But I mightn't like my Cell mate.................or He/they might like me sick.gif

Biz in prison and this huge cellmate said "Do you want to be the man or the wife"

Biz being quick witted said " I'll be the the man"

His cellmate replied " Ok, now get over here and suck your wifes .... eek.gif

:fear::help: :lol2: Oh, You know the drill..................from previous experience? :rolleyes:

Drill is a strange word to use about this subject :D

Drill is a strange word to use about this subject :D

I knew that........... but I love to leave you with a lead [lead, not lead :lol: ] line :thumbsup:

I WAS going to say "an opening" but decided against it :rolleyes: I didn't want you to get yourself in trouble with the Mods B)

You can lead a Mage to humour but you can't make him joke...

You can lead a Mage to humour but you can't make him joke...

We'd noticed <_< :lol:

This is a child free post :D

This is a child free post :D

You get a free one with every 10 posts..............Oooer :blink: I'm off into hiding :bag:

This is a child free post biggrin.gif

You get a free one with every 10 posts..............Oooer blink.gif I'm off into hiding bag.gif

Do I look like the Piped Piper...

Although I have had a very good offer from Gary Glitter eek.gif

You get a free one with every 10 posts..............Oooer blink.gif I'm off into hiding bag.gif

Don't take it :fear: He would thoroughly Hamelin you :sick::laughing:

Don't take it fear.gif He would thoroughly Hamelin you sick.giflaughing.gif

Rats

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links