Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do I Get Cigarette Lighter To Be Always On?

Corolla94

Hi all,

As per title, I am trying to get live power from the cigarette lighter when my car is switched off. Currently, I have to turn on the ignition to get power. Is there a fuse or something I have to re-position or replace? My car is a 1993-97 Toyota Corolla model.

Thank you.

Any reason why you need it on all the time??

You could get a live feed from the back of the H/U, as it would be your nearest point.

Any reason why you need it on all the time??

You could get a live feed from the back of the H/U, as it would be your nearest point.

I am installing an in-car camera because someone hit my car while it was parked and damage was done. They drove off.

What does 'H/U' stand for? Is it the heater unit?

I am installing an in-car camera because someone hit my car while it was parked and damage was done. They drove off.

Installing an in-car camera will need some sort of recording unit, as well as the camera.

Depending on where you install and point the camera, will still only have a limited view and coverage, and may still not capture any further accidents.

If you park outside of your house, for example, setting up a camera from your house to view the car would be easier, but still will not prevent or even capture the car involved.

Not much you can do about hit-and-run drivers, if its minor damage then try and get it repaired yourself, but if you think it will be alot more, then get the insurance involved.

H/U stands for Head Unit, as in the in car stereo.

Installing an in-car camera will need some sort of recording unit, as well as the camera.

Depending on where you install and point the camera, will still only have a limited view and coverage, and may still not capture any further accidents.

If you park outside of your house, for example, setting up a camera from your house to view the car would be easier, but still will not prevent or even capture the car involved.

Not much you can do about hit-and-run drivers, if its minor damage then try and get it repaired yourself, but if you think it will be alot more, then get the insurance involved.

H/U stands for Head Unit, as in the in car stereo.

Its something I was planning to install anyway. I know its a valuable thing to have in the event of an insurance claim. I had planned to install 2 cameras (one front, the other at the rear window).

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the head unit power be the same once I take my keys out of the ignition? To get the cd player/radio going, I have to switch on the ignition...

You could try connecting directly to the Battery (Ensuring that you use a suitable in line fuse)

Having a permanantly wired camera/recorder will place quite a strain on your car Battery..................It maybe an idea to consider a self contained rechargeable Battery powered camera with a memory card or suchlike to record the evidence.

This would possibly be slightly more expensive but altogether a more satisfactory solution :thumbsup:

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the head unit power be the same once I take my keys out of the ignition? To get the cd player/radio going, I have to switch on the ignition...

No, the H/U has two power feeds to it, one a permanent live and a switchable live.

The permanent live is for memory backup such as radio stations and other settings, the switchable live is controlled via the ignition so incase you leave the H/U it won't drain the Battery, thats of course you wire the two together then you will be able to drain the Battery flat.

Just to add too, i would agree that Red Yaris 54 idea of getting a direct feed straight from the Battery is a good idea, but check to see how much current you need to power any extra equipments, and if it alot then yes, try and install an secondary power supply on a split charge if necessary.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links