Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy Below The Bonnet?

Mitsuoka

I have owned my 53 plate Yaris Verso for two years and more recently I feel that the engine is noisy. The symptoms are that when I pull off from a cold start there is an engine or transmission noise. When I open the bonnet the engine changes momentum and it is noisy as if there are metal pieces going around inside a washing machine?

I mentioned this to Toyota before service and they said the drive belt needs changing? Which belt is this because there are two an horizontal one and a vertical one. I changed the vertical one and the noise persists.

The car has done 50000 miles and drives smoothly on the open road.

if you changed the belts you can see you probably only changed the air/con or power steering belt or aalternator belt

the garage might of ment to change the timing belt which you wont be able to see

if you changed the belts you can see you probably only changed the air/con or power steering belt or aalternator belt

the garage might of ment to change the timing belt which you wont be able to see

Hi, Thanks for replying. Only one belt has been replaced ( two can be seen) the vertical one . These are drive belts apparently. I think Toyota was refering to these . The hidden one - the cam belt- is a chain.

By the way which Verso do you have?

Now I'm no mechanic, but if your engine sounds like metal parts inside a washing machine then I would get it checked out properly ASAP.

The belt you cahnged (and the other one visible) will be the drive for air con/power steering which is driven from a pulley attatched to the cam shaft. This shouldn't give any kind of mechanical noises unless one of the pulleys is worn and needs replaced. Can you get to all the pulleys and make sure there is no movement in them? This could point to a problem with one of the components there eg water pump or power steering.

Ohterwise it'll probably be a problem with the cam belt, this is the metal chain that is actualy inside the engine and would be a lot of ££ to get fixed.

Hope you get to the bottom of the issue.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links