Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Leaky Aygo

jdz

Hello,

I bought a brand new Aygo Blue in March - done just over 800 miles and on Tuesday had 3 inch of water in the drivers side footwell. Went straight to the Toyota dealer where i bought it and they took it in for tests etc on Thursday at 08.30. Got a phone call after a couple of hours to say they found the leak - it was the weather proof membrane on the speaker in the door, where the adhesive had a gap and so not fully sealed. He said that they would fit a new membrane and new door seal (just in case) but they wanted to keep it until Friday. I said it wasn't a problem, and as i finished work at 4pm, would it be ok to pick the car up then, to which i got the response that it would be ready easily by then.

So I called in at about 4.15 to be told it was still in the valleting bay and there was no one to bring it round so could i come back later.

After another hour, got a phone call saying the technician wasn't quite done and he could do a rush job and finish it on Saturday, but would rather keep it until Monday and ensure it is all done to the highest standard - not a problem i said!

Today (Monday) got a call around lunch time to say the car was done and i needed to pick it up by half five or it would have to be locked in the compound until tomorrow - unfortunately, i have a 3hr commute most days, so to be at my local garage between 08.30 and 5.30 is difficult without taking time off - so i then had to take another afternoon off to leave work to ensure i was back in time.

I arrived at the garage to be met by a different fellow who explained the original person dealing with me was off this week - he went on to explain not only was water coming in from the door speaker, but also through the door seal. I can't understand why the first bloke didn't mention this unless it was only after the initial repair was tested that they found this too! Would explain why i couldn't have my car back on Friday!

So he then went and got my car and drove it to the front of the dealership. When i opened the drivers door, i first noticed a new bit of rubber along the tops of the doors, and also new door seals - i noticed the door seals cos there was lots of white glue all over the place, and the new rubber at the tops of the doors wasn't bonded in numerous places, with big gaps.

I expressed my concern - it is now booked to go back in on Saturday for new seals again - but "will only take an hour". So why take since Thursday for it to be done in a very shoddy fashion?

I would appreciate any one elses views or ideas how to tackle this. I am not the sort of person who finds it easy to make a fuss, but this is really bugging me.

You must ask to speak to the service manager. Make sure you express your concerns but make sure you remain polite at all times. Take a few photos of the shoddy work and then the work when they have supposedly put it right. If you are not happy after they have completed the remedial work tell the manager that you will be contacting Toyota Customer service to complain about the dealership.

You may well then be surprised that they will bend over backwards to treat you kindly and may even offer some freebies like a first year service.

Whatever you do make sure you are calm and polite as if you lose your temper you fall right into their hands. Good luck thumbsup.gif

My daughter's Aygo leaked and the dealership fitted the new seals and new carpets. She was not all that happy with the car afterwards and maybe that is why she now drives a Renault Clio yes.gif

I no how you feel. I started a similar thread last week. Seems that last weeks heavy rain has really made a mess of some aygos. I cant fault my dealership who bent over backwards to sort it out. I to had water coming through the Speakers, they replaced the door seals and sorted the Speakers out. Hopefully its sorted the problem!

These leak problems are really ridiculous (although I haven't had any issues yet), my mind cannot fathom how water can get inside the internal structure of the car and then come through the speaker ??? because the Speakers don't lead directly from inside the car to outside, what's going on? :(

When it rains heavily, at least some of the water that hits the windows goes down past the rubber strips where the window slides down into the door. These bits of rubber are really only trim pieces; they might help scrape stuff off the window, but they don't really prevent water ingress. So the inside of the door is actually a pretty wet place. There are drain holes in the bottom of the door to let the water out again ... unless one of those drains is blocked, or is not big enough to cope with a downpour, in which case the door will fill up until it overflows, and the speaker grille could well be the place that happens. At least, that's my theory !

When it rains heavily, at least some of the water that hits the windows goes down past the rubber strips where the window slides down into the door. These bits of rubber are really only trim pieces; they might help scrape stuff off the window, but they don't really prevent water ingress. So the inside of the door is actually a pretty wet place. There are drain holes in the bottom of the door to let the water out again ... unless one of those drains is blocked, or is not big enough to cope with a downpour, in which case the door will fill up until it overflows, and the speaker grille could well be the place that happens. At least, that's my theory !

That does fit with what happened - thanks.

Mmmmm, so what you're saying is that if you wash the car properly and make sure the drain holes in the doors (all of them) are always clear, then the Atgo shouldn't get wet inside ?

Mmmmm, so what you're saying is that if you wash the car properly and make sure the drain holes in the doors (all of them) are always clear, then the Atgo shouldn't get wet inside ?

As i didn't even know there are drain holes in the bottom of the doors - and i never wash the car with the doors open(strangely enough), it is quite possible that blockages may have occurred, though this wasn't told to me by the Toyota garage people. I do usually use the power washer at Tesco and have never had a problem in the 3 months i have had this car - this isn't quite the same as the deluge of rain we have had the last few weeks - and ANY car should be able to withstand that!

All cars have drain holes in the doors - look under the open door behind the outer skin. Its always a good idea to check this after washing the vehicle , apart from anything else it shows you care for the car!!

You could always fit a set of bilge pumps laugh.gif

This is very plausable. My last car (honda accord) was broken into by a couple of 'rat boys' whilst parked outside sainsburys. They smashed the driver-side window. A year or so later the door at the bottom started to rust badly, the cause being chunks of glass that had fallen inside the door panel & blocked the 'weep holes'.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links