Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spark Plug Measurements / New Seal For Spark Plug Housing

Vitz_man

Hi all,

Whilst I realise this has probably been asked before and i'm being blind but would anyone be able to tell me what the measurements for the spark plugs are? I could swear I read 0.8mm somewhere at some point but in need of confirmation as im running the standard measurements on my new NGK's and as you can imagine things just arn't in the sweet spot as of yet.

Also, does anyone know about a new seal for the spark plug housing on top of the block. Some idiot of a mechanic must have lost it the last time it was in the garage for a service and consquently it's leaked water into the housing, hence the new plugs. Anyone know any specific measurements and if it's a B&Q job or i'd require a manufacturer approved part?

Thanks! :)

Don't know exactly what the plug gaps are supposed to be, but everytime i get new plugs i just put them in without checking the gap and never had a problem.

I believe the specific plugs for any car are already "Gapped" so you can just put them straight in.

Its in the manual.

Mine lists 1.1mm for the 1KR-FE (1.0) engine and 0.7mm-0.8mm for the 2SZ-FE (1.3) engine)

Afraid I can't speak for the older 4-cylinder 1.0 engine. Perhaps someone with a manual for that can confirm. My guess is its the same as the 2SZ-FE as its the same basic engine design, but can't confirm....

Not sure that there is a proper water seal as you wouldn't expect water to get into that part of the engine and even if it did, the warm engine should dry it out quickly.

If I remember when I changed my plugs in my old 1.0, it was quite "rusty looking" inside the spark plug holes....

If there is water down there though, make sure you soak it up with rags before you take the plugs out as you don't want any quantity of water to drop into the engine compression chanber. That could cause engine damage when you tried to start the engine afterwards due to the increased compression.

Just had a look in my owners manual and it tells you the spark plug type but not the gap size unfortunately.

Haynes says spark gaps for 1.0 are:

0.8mm to June 2001

Thereafter:

Bosch FR7KCU plugs: 0.9 to 1.0mm

NGK /Denso plugs 1.0 to 1.1mm

As recommended by Toyota. Other plugs: see manufacturers' recommendations...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links