Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Handbrake Adjustment

alasdair09

Hi, im wondering how do you adjust the handbrake? mines got a long travel on it its about 9 clicks. rather annouying. thanks

To which corolla model are you referring? In the E12 it can be adjusted by removing one of the back wheels. There is a hole in the drum in which you insert a screwdriver and adjust the handbrake. This is how they do it in the dealer-shops but if you ask me, it is not the right thing to do. If you want to do a proper job you should adjust it from inside the car just behind the handbrake (where the handbrake cables are located). However, you should remove firstly some of the interior plastics so as to reveal the cables.

take back wheels off, remove the little rubber grommet and use a screwdriver to adjust the little cog wheel located inside. same on the other side being careful not to seize the drum lol

theres a piccie in my signature, you can do it on the back of the handbrake lever - but i wouldn't.

To which corolla model are you referring? In the E12 it can be adjusted by removing one of the back wheels. There is a hole in the drum in which you insert a screwdriver and adjust the handbrake. This is how they do it in the dealer-shops but if you ask me, it is not the right thing to do. If you want to do a proper job you should adjust it from inside the car just behind the handbrake (where the handbrake cables are located). However, you should remove firstly some of the interior plastics so as to reveal the cables.

doing it at the wheels themselves is the better option, you can adjust each side seperately meaning that you can have perfect braking each and not have one side holding more than the other.

On the contrary I believe that you can have a more balanced handbrake (that will last) if you adjust it on the back of the hand brake lever.

Everytime I go in the dealer and he adjusts the handbrake from the wheels, till I get home the handbraking is again unbalanced...

(I test it in an uphill by slowly lifting the handbrake).

Anyway, this is my personal opinion.

You might still need to adjust it at the handbrake even after adjusting it fully at the wheels.

I did mine tight at the wheels but the handbrake still came up some way, so I adjusted it at the nut on the handbrake to drop it to five or six clicks.

This was a few months back and it has been much better since.

to the best of my knowledge adjusting the handbrake doesnt affect the rear disc brake (which are used during driving). since the handbrake is only used for parking then as long as it can hold the car does it really matter how it is adjusted? both methods have their good and bad points...

to the best of my knowledge adjusting the handbrake doesnt affect the rear disc brake (which are used during driving). since the handbrake is only used for parking then as long as it can hold the car does it really matter how it is adjusted? both methods have their good and bad points...

What has been stated in the original post is though that the handbrake goes up to far so to cure this once it has been adjusted at the drums if need be it can be adjusted further at the back of the handbrake to drop it down a few clicks.

What has been stated in the original post is though that the handbrake goes up to far so to cure this once it has been adjusted at the drums if need be it can be adjusted further at the back of the handbrake to drop it down a few clicks.

Aah, now im with you, thanks for clarifying :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links