Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

4.2 Petrol. Real Life Mpg? If Bad Is Lpg Worth It?

trutta

Thanks everyone for your input. I ended up getting a 2002 D4-D with 58k on the clock, FSH and the clutch flywheel replaced in 2008. The car also had another clutch fitted last month and has a years MOT. I am getting the timing belt changed and a service on Tuesday just to be on the safe side as it is due in a couple of thousand miles. I was pleasantly surprised with the mpg return as a 430 mile trip from London to the west coast of Scotland only used a tank as I was expecting to refuel somewhere close to the border. Well happy with the 43 mpg average on a motorway. :)

Thanks again. :)

Hi there, I registered previously but for some reason it is not accepting my username or pass. Not to worry.

Anyway, I have been looking out for a Rav4 diesel but finding it nearly impossible to get a decent low mileage model. I have started to look at the petrol 4 wheel drive models and noticed that I will get a lot more car for my 5k budget but I am very wary of the costs of running a petrol 4x4. I will be doing a maximum of 5000 miles a year which will mostly be short journeys in town so I am not too sure that I will get the benefit of a diesel or not. I am mainly looking for another members real life experience with a Rav4 petrol about town, am I being optimistic to expect 70 miles for a tenner if petrol costs £1.17 a litre? If anyone could let me know the average mileage they get for £10 worth of fuel in a 2001-2003 2.0 petrol and diesel for town driving it would really help me make my mind up.

There is also the option of a lpg conversion as I have spied a 2.0 vx petrol with 70k and all the toys that is £1 under budget so it would allow me to fit an lpg conversion within by budget. I know that there are issues with the valves receding but I thought that the flashlube accessory that is separate to the lpg conversion would solve any problems. Thoughts anyone?

Thanks.

Can't help with urban driving as I do very little of it but taking it steady on country main roads and very steady on narrow country lanes nets me 32mpg measured brim to brim (or 40mpg if you believe the dashboard - which I don't) on the 4.2 petrol. Re running costs, are the service intervals the same for the diesel as for the petrol? That can make a significant difference to the cost per mile if they are at variance.

Mike D

before I bought mine in 2003, I tested both petrol & diesel. Didn't like the rattle & vibes of the diesel at low speeds & tick over and the narrowband power delivery. Taking into account the extra cost of servicing & my annual mileage of around 8000 miles, I decided the 7 mpg published improvement was no good enough so bought the petrol one in 2003.

I always got between 31~33 mpg during mixed driving.

After a change of tyres, this dropped to 29~31 (shock horror)

After changing back to Toyo's things got back to normal.

After change of front pads, I can now tell there is less rolling resistance from the wheels so I get 32~34 mpg on mixed driving such as 200 miles round trip to London (including city driving but not going over 80mph on the motorway.

Pure town driving, I get close to 31 mpg.

There are a number of things you can do to almost any car to improve their mpg by up to 10%

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links