Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rubbing/scraping Noise When Turning Steering Wheel

hawkerpaul

Had our 2006 Yaris 1.3 for about 3 weeks now, and all is well, apart from a scraping/rubbing noise that can be heard when you turn the steering wheel. Not noticed it whilst driving (maybe its being drowned out by road noise etc) but with the engine running and standing still, if you turn the steering wheel to the left, you hear the noise coming from the front passenger wheel area only, and it comes from the front drivers wheel area when the steering wheel is turned to the right. The noise seems to start after the first 360 degree turn of the steering wheel.

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Thanks

Don't worry it's your powersteering at full lock. If you slightly let off of the lock you are on, does it stop?

I'd only worry if it happens whilst driving. It's the powersteering straining.

Firstly - its never a good idea to turn your steering wheel when stationary. It puts an enormous load on the steering components and will lead to premature failure. Its always better to have the car rolling (even just very slightly) as you turn the wheel when manouvering.

So until I read this thread, I'd never turned my Yaris wheel with the car stopped - Just for you though, I've been out and tried it in the drive and there's no noise - even moving it from full lock to full lock...

Its an electric system (and I don't know how those work) so can't help with what particularly might be causing the noise I'm afraid...

I dont generally turn the wheels when stationary, but sometimes you have no choice - I only found out due to getting out of a tight parking space.

Its got a year's Toyota warranty on it, so I'll ring them up and see what they say.

Thanks fellas.

Firstly - its never a good idea to turn your steering wheel when stationary. It puts an enormous load on the steering components and will lead to premature failure. Its always better to have the car rolling (even just very slightly) as you turn the wheel when manouvering.

Almost impossible to parallel park a T Sport in a tight space without doing so :lol: Still can't get the 15+ meter turning circle it has around my head.

As for the scraping noise, does it scrape if you full lock while moving? i.e. 3 point turn, or whatever?

Mine scrapes when locking right. I've read all sorts of reasons for noises on this forum, but only one thread had the same problem. I don't know for certain about your car, but on mine, the guard that sits behind the brake disk was too close to the disk. After pushing mine back, it stopped grinding. However it's not a permanent fix as it creeps back to the scraping position.

I opened up the bonnet to check the power steering fluid level, and I couldnt even find the reservoir! :blink:

Can anyone tell me where it is please? Couldnt even see any info on it in the handbook.

The missus will take it back to Toyota on Mon/Tue when she goes to work, so I'll keep you posted

I opened up the bonnet to check the power steering fluid level, and I couldnt even find the reservoir! :blink:

Can anyone tell me where it is please? Couldnt even see any info on it in the handbook.

The missus will take it back to Toyota on Mon/Tue when she goes to work, so I'll keep you posted

If it's electric p/s, you won't have a reservoir or fliud to check.....I think. :lol:

Had the same symptoms on my 56 reg Yaris 1.0, creaking only at full lock. Problem was due to faulty top front suspension mounts and to their credit the Toyota dealership repaired it free of charge under the one year warranty they supplied as an approved used vehicle. They suggested it would have cost about £150 - £200 outside of warranty but they had to get authorisation off Toyota to carry out the work. It is perfectly silent at full lock since the repair.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links