Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery Charger For A Non- Starter

z-tune-z2

Hey guys,

I recently went away and left my Battery to drain away, so obviously I jumped it, took it for a good run at high revs. Probably spent 45 minutes driving about.

Subsequently, the Battery drains itself when not used for 5 days or so, completely. I was always under the impression that if everything is in working order, a bit of a ragging would restore the Battery.

So I went to have the battery checked and I'm told the battery has no problems, it however ought to be connected to a battery charger overnight? I thought the alternator was supposed to charge it up?

Can somebody please clarify for me please and also suggest solutions! Thanks

I should add that I mentioned that the problem may lie with the alternator when dropping it off at Toyota, which they noted down. After the examination (not sure if they checked the alternator), they didn't discuss whether or not it could have been an alternator problem, they were quite certain that the battery needs to be charged, and that driving it would not do the same job as a charger would :S

Nope... All standard stuff, I've never messed with the electronics either.

I think I'll let the garage charge it overnight as I don't have a charger, nor can I get my car anywhere near my house due to a skip!

I'll go nuts if that doesn't work either. I'm very worried the alternator may have gone.

I wouldn't worry about the alternator too much, check the simple things first.

Sounds like a flat Battery to me, my bike Battery does the same sometimes if i've not ridden it for a few weeks.

Give it a good charge overnight and see how it goes. If you need a new one, it's cheaper than an alternator! ;)

Modern Battery chargers such as this one

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-xs3600.php

don't just put a simple charge into the Battery (as an alternator would) but use special electronics to "pulse charge" in different ways, thereby "conditioning" the Battery and restoring a battery that has been run completely flat.

They are also fully automatic and turn off when the battery is full, so you can leave them connected for months at a time, quite safely. My mother leaves hers connected as she uses her car very little and it was always going flat...

I have one and its great. There's a cheaper XS800 that doesn't charge as fast, but may be good enough for you...

The XS3600 won an AutoExpress test of chargers because of its sophisticated charging circuit. I got mine off eBay...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links