Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smart Connect Inbuilt Sat Nav

SBDJ

Hi - First post here. Hope this the right forum for this query. Admin feel free to move it a a different forum 

I have a 2023 Corolla with built in satnav. I came home from a long journey yesterday and the the satnav didn't advise me of a major road closure. This was a planned closure not one caused by an accident. I had been waiting to for it to announce it and advise of a different route but it simply carried on directing me up what was a closed road. I changed to Android Auto and that immediately picked up the closure

On my previous car [a Kia) in order to get live updates and speed camera location etc I had to connect my phone to the satnav using a tethering. I was told this wasn't necessary on the Toyota as it had an embedded sim card. The phone has me as the primary driver and the app for locking and climate etc works fine

I have the car booked in but was wondering if there is something I am missing and could easily do myself save me and the dealer a wasted visit

I have noticed that when I go into map update it says that there is a problem and to contact the dealer. Could this be related to the satnav issue. 

Thanks for any help 

1 hour ago, SBDJ said:

I have noticed that when I go into map update it says that there is a problem and to contact the dealer. Could this be related to the satnav 

A temporary road closure requires a temporary update.

Looks like the system is doing its job.

I'd be interested to hear what happens - my satnav also says 'problem - contact dealer'.

I'd assumed that maybe it already has the latest map, but don't use it as I use Apple CarPlay instead for satnav.

Depending on what source it is using for traffic/etc. it might not have some road closures - occasionally these are missing from various sources.

There is a local road closure that google maps was saying would end on Thursday but I knew it was actually Friday that it would be ending, so the google map info was wrong.

5 minutes ago, sportse said:

I'd be interested to hear what happens - my satnav also says 'problem - contact dealer'.

I'd assumed that maybe it already has the latest map, but don't use it as I use apple CarPlay instead for satnav.

Depending on what source it is using for traffic/etc. it might not have some road closures - occasionally these are missing from various sources.

There is a local road closure that google maps was saying would end on Thursday but I knew it was actually Friday that it would be ending, so the google map info was wrong.

TomTomGo on iPhone is pretty accurate. There was a road closure near me this morning for resurfacing and it showed..

19 minutes ago, sportse said:

No recent issues with my YC which has a OTA over the air update system yet last March it would tell me: update available and when I tried to update telling me it had. The dealer had to get a fix.

More recently they rolled out a 2-part update.  I can't remember remember the detail except it was not automatic. 

Best solution is indeed contact dealer 

30 minutes ago, Paul john said:

TomTomGo on iphone is pretty accurate. There was a road closure near me this morning for resurfacing and it showed..

I use TomTomGo as my main satnav app, it's a great app and I believe Apple also use their traffic data for their own maps. The main feature is the route bar, which other satnavs don't have.

Occasionally I also use Waze as it is great for warning you about potholes and black ice/etc.

The only downside to TomTom is that unfortunately it doesn't give you the direction arrows in the dash display, which others do.

The Smart Connect map update is only for the base mapping data that the system will use when it has no data connection via the DCM. 

During normal operation the system will use live mapping data via the DCM.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens when the first Smart Connect equipped vehicles subscriptions start to run out - I will suspect its going to default back to the base mapping data & nag the driver to resubscribe. 

7 minutes ago, sportse said:

I use TomTomGo as my main satnav app, it's a great app and I believe apple also use their traffic data for their own maps. The main feature is the route bar, which other satnavs don't have.

Occasionally I also use Waze as it is great for warning you about potholes and black ice/etc.

The only downside to TomTom is that unfortunately it doesn't give you the direction arrows in the dash display, which others do.

Cant say that is a thing for me. But the traffic bar for route is, which others do not show. 
none of the carplay nav apps integrate with my hud unfortunately. 

@forkingabout if you have a Touch2Go system,  and download updates, you will have a system with  updated maps as at the end of the superscription.

It would seem off if Smart Connect did an effective factory reset.  I think the base map will be up to date at the end.

However that Factory could be interesting.  Touch2Go could be updated with stored updates. 

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. It's not a big problem and android auto is available but it needs to be connected via the USB port and I already use that for music on a memory stick so it would be handy if the inbuilt sat nav did what I expect it to do, even if that means the dealer lets me know its limitations. 

My Kia used tom-tom I believe and always worked well albeit I had to tether my phone to get all the info I needed. 

I'll update when the dealer has had a look which will be at the end of the month

First World problems I guess!!

It's a shame the default message is "there's a problem, contact your dealer" rather than "there is no need for an update". It would save a lot of agro. Your system should alert you with the handy phrases " Attention! One mile ahead. Road work/stationary traffic". The map itself should show red, yellow and black lines along roads that are very busy, busy or jammed. If you are not experiencing any of this, then you may need a dealer update to the DCM. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RabButler said:

The map itself should show red, yellow and black lines along roads that are very busy, busy or jammed. 

I have seen Google map display 'change before your very eyes'.  I have found the inbuilt map has some better features than Android Auto but changes to road conditions less responsive 

3 hours ago, SBDJ said:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. It's not a big problem and android auto is available but it needs to be connected via the USB port and I already use that for music on a memory stick so it would be handy if the inbuilt sat nav did what I expect it to do, even if that means the dealer lets me know its limitations. 

My Kia used tom-tom I believe and always worked well albeit I had to tether my phone to get all the info I needed. 

I'll update when the dealer has had a look which will be at the end of the month

First World problems I guess!!

It might be worth giving one of these adapter hubs a punt. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/KiWiBiRD-Splitter-Extension-Compatible-Keyboard-Black/dp/B0C578QWG9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2I0MLPTZNU7U9&keywords=usb+splitter+2+port&qid=1707775838&sprefix=Usb+splitter%2Caps%2C68&sr=8-3 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C1BY9X4W/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0C1BY9X4W&pd_rd_w=vMHH4&content-id=amzn1.sym.84ea1bf1-65a8-4363-b8f5-f0df58cbb686&pf_rd_p=84ea1bf1-65a8-4363-b8f5-f0df58cbb686&pf_rd_r=BPBK8FQ56BGPGQN11Z1T&pd_rd_wg=Tlbef&pd_rd_r=925307cf-1183-4afd-9412-ac532c75e62c&s=electronics&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update on my first post and to those who said they would be interested in the outcome

I took the car to the dealer today. As someone else experienced, the message saying problem with map update, see dealer is inaccurate. It simply means that there is no update available

I have the latest software available and the chap I spoke to said that in reality Android Auto (and I assume the Apple equivalent) are just better at picking up road closures etc. The Toyota system may well improve over time with software updates and bug fixes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

On a 2023 Toyota Corolla TS, I don't get traffic updates on the inbuilt sat nav. The dealer mentioned the software is up to date and they are awaiting a resolution from Toyota UK, 5 weeks waiting so far.

The roads don't change colour on the map and no rerouting when the M6 was closed.

I have a little test where I plumb into the sat nav the same address/location in London and whether its day or night its the same time, so alludes to me thinks it does not detect traffic.

I'll mention it to Toyota UK about the DCIM, thanks for the tip.

Corolla_Traffic_Settings.thumb.png.e9babd8f50c4a423a8df9198be6f0d54.png     

On 2/12/2024 at 8:48 PM, RabButler said:

Your system should alert you with the handy phrases " Attention! One mile ahead. Road work/stationary traffic". The map itself should show red, yellow and black lines along roads that are very busy, busy or jammed. If you are not experiencing any of this, then you may need a dealer update to the DCM. 

Interesting.

Mine doesn't do any of that either.

I'll have to get the dealer to take a look.

Thanks.

On 4/30/2024 at 7:49 PM, FreddoChoc said:

On a 2023 Toyota Corolla TS, I don't get traffic updates on the inbuilt sat nav. The dealer mentioned the software is up to date and they are awaiting a resolution from Toyota UK, 5 weeks waiting so far.

The roads don't change colour on the map and no rerouting when the M6 was closed.

I have a little test where I plumb into the sat nav the same address/location in London and whether its day or night its the same time, so alludes to me thinks it does not detect traffic.

I'll mention it to Toyota UK about the DCIM, thanks for the tip.

Corolla_Traffic_Settings.thumb.png.e9babd8f50c4a423a8df9198be6f0d54.png     

I have a 2023 Corolla TS and get the voice notifications for traffic.  when i check settings, under settings-> navigation,   i do not see the map update option.

how are the inbuilt maps updated?

10 minutes ago, J2024IE said:

I have a 2023 Corolla TS and get the voice notifications for traffic.  when i check settings, under settings-> navigation,   i do not see the map update option.

I believe it's supposed to give you a message saying when an update is available.

You then connect the car to wifi to download it.

I've seen pictures of someone with a facelift downloading a map update, so know they happen - so far, no updates on my 23.

On 5/1/2024 at 7:49 AM, Extreme_One said:

Interesting.

Mine doesn't do any of that either.

I'll have to get the dealer to take a look.

Thanks.

I've resolved my missing realtime updates! 

Turns out I hadn't activated Smart Services within the MyToyota app. 🤦‍♂️

Screenshot_2024-05-09-10-41-40-16_3f89809a17d8c33af5fc42ac4dff733f.thumb.jpg.6d3c36e3562f0622ed0b96c08704b2e5.jpg

Thing is they were listed as a Trial so I didn't activate them thinking these features would be revoked during my tenure with this company car.

Anyway, it turns out they're available until 2027 and enable all the missing features.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Extreme_One said:

Thing is they were listed as a Trial so I didn't activate them thinking these features would be revoked during my tenure with this company car.

I suspect Trial means they are trialing different features.  The earlier iterations of the App had features no longer available.   For instance trip data could be separated into Business or Private.  A good idea let down by poor data display.  Trip data, such as it was,  was available for more than a year.  You could compare one year against another, no longer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

I've resolved my missing realtime updates! 

Turns out I hadn't activated Smart Services within the MyToyota app. 🤦‍♂️

Screenshot_2024-05-09-10-41-40-16_3f89809a17d8c33af5fc42ac4dff733f.thumb.jpg.6d3c36e3562f0622ed0b96c08704b2e5.jpg

Anyway, it turns out they're available until 2027 and enable all the missing features.

Many thanks. This fix works a treat.

Never knew there was a menu in the 'My Toyota' app when clicking on 'My Garage' at the top. The maps now have layers, e.g. traffic is shown, road works. The radio has artist art I call it pictures of the track and more info on the song.  

28 minutes ago, FreddoChoc said:

The radio has artist art I call it pictures of the track and more info on the song.  

Indeed, I noticed this today too. 

Suddenly the radio is much nicer to use, and “Hey Toyota what's playing?” generates a useful response.

I've now almost stopped using Android Auto altogether andv tend to use the inbuilt navigation as my goto.

This is the first time, in any car, since Android Auto was released and is a pleasant suprise.

I'm glad this was useful to someone else too!

On 5/3/2024 at 3:12 PM, J2024IE said:

Firmware will update OTA and if you have registered and setup the, remote, smart & connected services the OTA map will be the latest live data, the backup ( for no data or no activated services ) embedded nav map is ( at present ) a dealer only update as the map is over 20gb in file size

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links