Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlamps Changed, But...

Kryten

Hello again, okay, have now successfully changed headlamp units myself over the weekend.

Now maybe I'm a bit paranoid because I'd rather not have to do it again, so was just wondering whether the same thing will happen again, (melting around bulb entry etc.)

Which leads me to the question: Is the fault caused by inferior plastic used in original Toyota unit, or is the problem related to the bulbs drawing too much current (for whatever reason) causing the high temperatures which melts the plastic lamps?

Just for information, I bought the lamps brand new from eBay from a company called (strangely!) "Parts-for-Fords" for £44.95 each, (without motors), they are made by a company called "TYC" and they are identical to the originals in every way, regardless, better than the £600? I was quoted by a Toyota dealer.

Many thanks.

Hello again, okay, have now successfully changed headlamp units myself over the weekend.

Now maybe I'm a bit paranoid because I'd rather not have to do it again, so was just wondering whether the same thing will happen again, (melting around bulb entry etc.)

Which leads me to the question: Is the fault caused by inferior plastic used in original Toyota unit, or is the problem related to the bulbs drawing too much current (for whatever reason) causing the high temperatures which melts the plastic lamps?

Just for information, I bought the lamps brand new from ebay from a company called (strangely!) "Parts-for-Fords" for £44.95 each, (without motors), they are made by a company called "TYC" and they are identical to the originals in every way, regardless, better than the £600? I was quoted by a Toyota dealer.

Many thanks.

Hi any chance you could tell me how you manged to get the headlamps out complete novice so idiot guide would really help thanks

Hello, if I were to do it again, I would probably not remove all the screws at the bottom of the spoiler which also hold all the engine splash guards, as trying to get them all lined up again and screwed together is a nightmare and took the longest time of all.

I think it may be possible to leave them, as there may be enough room to remove the lamps with the bumper just hanging forwards, if not then they will obviously have to be removed but try first.

The first job is to remove the plastic engine guards and the Battery clamp so you can move the Battery to the left.

The single screw that holds the bumper at each side are behind the plastic wheel liner so its best to remove the push in clip near the top of the liner so you can push the liner in towards the wheel arch and get to the single screw, which is vertical. Once the screw is out, you have to pull the bumper away from the body (gently) as it is held by claws.

There are three bolts that hold the front section of the bumper/grill which are easily visible and easily removed, when all this is done and the bumper is hopefully free to drop forward and down, you will see the lamps are held at the bottom by two clips. After having removed the two upper fixing bolts for the lamps you can simply pull the lamps forward to remove them, not forgetting to have removed the wiring connectors first.

Don't forget to swap all the bulbs over before you fit the new lamps and get the lamps optically aligned by a garage as soon as possible as they are unlikely to be correctly adjusted from the factory and you could be dazzling oncoming vehicles.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kryten,

I need to replace my headlamps, and have seen TYC lamps at good prices compared to Toyota parts.

But worried that if it seems to be too good to be true it probably is.

Are you happy with the TYC headlamps?

Do you do much rural driving?

Regards,

John

Hi Kryten,

I need to replace my headlamps, and have seen TYC lamps at good prices compared to Toyota parts.

But worried that if it seems to be too good to be true it probably is.

Are you happy with the TYC headlamps?

Do you do much rural driving?

Regards,

John

Hello John, the answer to your question is: yes, I am very happy with the TYC lamps, it's a couple of months now since I fitted them and they look fine, no condensation even, so I have no trouble recommending them.

As it happens I do alot of rural driving every day, many miles with no street lighting at all, I did fit the new lamps with the "Nightbreaker" bulbs though, at around £20.00, but they do seem much brighter than the standard bulbs. :)

Hello John, the answer to your question is: yes, I am very happy with the TYC lamps, it's a couple of months now since I fitted them and they look fine, no condensation even, so I have no trouble recommending them.

As it happens I do alot of rural driving every day, many miles with no street lighting at all, I did fit the new lamps with the "Nightbreaker" bulbs though, at around £20.00, but they do seem much brighter than the standard bulbs. :)

Thanks for that...

John

To Kryten.

Only difference between your lights and the original toyoto lights is the incredible price differnce & i believe their maybe a metal disc fitted to toyota headlamp unit where bulbs (may stand corrected) fit into headlamp units. I have gone the HID route & have fitted a 35w 5000k bulb kit to my car which gives off a pure white light. Have had them set-up perfectly on top-quality beam setter with a very slight off-set to the left. Completely transformed lighting of the car. Please no lectures on legality of these kits, i live in the ***** end of nowhere with no street lighting of any description. If i lived in a big city/town, i wouldn't have taken this route.

Regards, Beagh.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links