Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacement Tyres

Velocette

Hi Folks,

Very pleased indeed with my Mk 2 which in the 2.5 months I have had it has done over 6000 miles and averages about 56 mpg in mixed country lane, fast A road and motorway driving. The front tyres will need replacing soon although still OK with 31k on the clock, they are the original Bridgestones (something Italian and ending in ...ganza??). I have a Costco account and am thinking of replacing them with Michelin Energy tyres. being Costco they will fit the new ones on the rear and move the part worn rears to the front. I am conscious that the tyres are an important contributor to economy as well as handling etc. Are there any experiences out there that would suggest a better alternative?

Thanks, Velocette.

Hi Folks,

Very pleased indeed with my Mk 2 which in the 2.5 months I have had it has done over 6000 miles and averages about 56 mpg in mixed country lane, fast A road and motorway driving. The front tyres will need replacing soon although still OK with 31k on the clock, they are the original Bridgestones (something Italian and ending in ...ganza??). I have a Costco account and am thinking of replacing them with Michelin Energy tyres. being Costco they will fit the new ones on the rear and move the part worn rears to the front. I am conscious that the tyres are an important contributor to economy as well as handling etc. Are there any experiences out there that would suggest a better alternative?

Thanks, Velocette.

I've had Bridgestone Potenzas on one car and Bridgestone Duelers on my RAV4 - to me they were fine and wore well, particularly the Duelers on the RAV4.

My main comment is that Costco will follow your instructions and I always like to have the tyres with the most meat on the front axle, especially on FWD vehicles.

Read my earlier post about the fitment of the wrong type of tyres. Not sure what the gen2 is like, but the gen3 is very susceptible to the wrong type of tyre.

To cut a long story short, the 'wrong' tyres badly affected the economy and road noise and in the end they were replaced by the dealers with Bridgestone Turenza ECOPIA ER300's which are lovely. The economy went back to normal and they are also lasting much longer for wear.

I know the eco type tyres are more expensive, but the negatives of the wrong type of tyres arn't worth the cost savings.

Put it another way - would you put remoulds on a Ferrari?

Hi Folks,

Thanks, Velocette.

I've had Bridgestone Potenzas on one car and Bridgestone Duelers on my RAV4 - to me they were fine and wore well, particularly the Duelers on the RAV4.

My main comment is that Costco will follow your instructions and I always like to have the tyres with the most meat on the front axle, especially on FWD vehicles.

I'd neve ever do that. Always have the best tyres on the axle you have least control over ;-) Costco is absolutely right in moving them around, ESPECIALLY on FWD vehicles.

I must admit I have no comparison, but I do like the Michelin Premacy HP that Toyota puts on the Gen 3 as standard. Oddly it isn't a special eco tyre but hey I am getting 70mpg+ so I am not complaining and they handle and brake very well.

i have replaced my car tyres from Costco (michellin) on my 5 year old Gen 2 prius.

I haven't noticed much difference in the mileage. But i noticed that its more noisy with these tyres compared to my old Bridgestone tyres.

otherwise no problems but next time definitely i would go for the original tyres adviced by Toyota.

Increasing the tyre pressure may help with the noise. I've raed that some tyres need a run-in period before the MPG returns to normal, nobody noticed that with the different makes?

Increasing the tyre pressure may help with the noise. I've raed that some tyres need a run-in period before the MPG returns to normal, nobody noticed that with the different makes?

Thanks everybody for your helpful comments. I did read grumpy's original post about tyres which triggered my thoughts on this. I have used Michelins on previous cars and been very satisfied with them. On the point about new tyres and which axle to put them on, there was a video running at Costco one time when I was there which showed cars being driven around a track testing new tyres on the front and rear. The video clearly showed the benefits of having the new ones on the rear and it is my understanding that Costco will only fit new ones on the rear but I may be wrong. I am going to see if I can get bridgestones and replace like with like, but Michelins will be my fallback.

Cheers, velocette

I have covered about 60k on std Bridgestones. Road noise can be bad on some surfaces (like in Scotland). What are users experiences with

others ?

mpx

I always buy Michelin Energy tyres which are consistently well reviewed for both noise and mpg. Unless there is considerable wear left on two of the tyres, my inclination would be to change all four. The difference between new and, say, three-quarters worn tyres is very significant. It also saves on the hassle of two trips to get them sorted and a further discount for four is often available.

I've always replaced my tyres with the same as the original ones, ie Bridgestone Turenza ER300. They are about £100-£115 each fitted but last a good time and work well with the Prius. You can order them on line at Kwik Fit for about £89 each and they will be delivered to your nearest depot for fitting (included in the £89). I've always gone to my local centre though to have the Bridgestones fitted even if you have to pay a tad more. The new ones have gone on the back where I have least control of the car. If the back breaks away you're not going to catch it so stick your best rubber there.

About a month ago, I replaced one of the axles for Michelin Energy Savers. The new Michelins went to the rear. Likewise I've been told its better to have new tyres on the rear. The Bridgestones now on the front. I've noticed no difference in fuel economy, similar noticed no difference in noise, although I thnk you notice front more, so until they get changed next month or so can't be certain. Ive always found Michelin to be a good all round tyre with excellent wear and for me it was an easy decision.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links