Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Prius Reversing Beep

Barbaric Daisy

Hello,

I took delivery of my nice new shiney T-Spirit Prius yesterday. However, every time I put it in reverse I feel like my ear's are going to bleed. Does anyone know if there is a way that you can turn down the continuous reverse beep, or set it to only beep once (like my Verso before this)?

I have contacted Toyota dealer who want to charge me to stick a computer on it and turn it off for me, but if there was a way around this then I would be grateful!

Thanks

Daisy

Remind your dealer you have just purchased a brand new car off them and have no inclination to pay to have the reverse bleep switched to one bleep, it can be done easily so dont let them charge you. You could mention that you have not had your satisfaction survey from Toyota yet, that should focus the attention!!!

kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

D'you know what, I had the beep on my gen2 and frankly I've not noticed it on my gen3 - I'm assuming that it's either not there (switched off by the dealer) or I've got so used to it on the old one that I've just taken no notice on this one :)

Reducing reverse beep from continuous to a single beep is a customer customisation feature (there is a list towards the back of the owners manual). The strange thing about these features is they have to be done by the dealer but your dealer shouldn't charge for this if they value your custom. Mine didn't charge. Do what parts-king suggests!

Later....

I checked on the way home and yes, I do have the beeps in reverse, just never noticed them - must be tuning them out automatically :)

I got this removed when I bought mine in Sept 09 FOC without any fuss maybe they wanted customers back then; it was a 5mins job.

I would make a big deal about this and ask to speaking to the dealer principal. Take the invoice with you (just for dramatic effect showing the price to him as T-Spirit are not cheap) and state how disappointed you are and shocked the salesman didn't ask you before delivery if you wanted the option removed.

My car is a lease car supplied from a garage in Leeds. I live in Newcastle and I went to my local dealer and asked nicely and he switched off the beep in 5 mins. They were very helpful.

I'm collecting my new T-Spirit on Monday and so it should be having its PDI on Friday. I will certainly ask the dealer (Inchcape) to change the reversing beep to a single one (thanks for the heads-up Daisy).

Can anyone let me have a list of the other customer customisation features so that I can perhaps add other things to the PDI instructions?

Cheers

Calymene

You can download a copy of the owners manual (USA but it is close enough) by following the instructions on Prius Chat (post #86)

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/68387-2010-prius-owners-manual-available-pdf-9.html#post1118708

You can download a copy of the owners manual (USA but it is close enough) by following the instructions on Prius Chat (post #86)

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/68387-2010-prius-owners-manual-available-pdf-9.html#post1118708

My experience is that uk cars cannot be customised the same as USA ones. In a nutshell, asking the reversing beeps to be disabled is about the only option. I didn't believe it so the garage showed me the options (or lack of them) when the gadget was hooked up. I really wanted self locking doors, and driver door first unlocking. I'm guessing that the ecu is different for euro or UK cars, not sure that the yanks get the fac alarm and immobiliser.

Thanks for the link to the manual. I have just finished reading it. This is actually the second 600+ page book I have read this year. Sorry Toyota, but I preferred Wolf Hall!

I have asked the dealer to change the reversing beep at the PDI. Roll on Monday... I can hardly contain myself.

Calymene

Thanks all! This is now being done on Monday for me, gratis of course :)

Calymene - I can't think of anything else that I would want to personalise or change on the car. I am still like a kid at Christmas with mine and will bore anyone who will listen about the gadgets and features on it.

Daisy

x

I'd agree with Batsran. I downloaded the US manual, then decided on all the customisations I wanted and went to the dealer before my car was delivered. To be greeted by a puzzled face and much scratching of heads! The dealer produced a UK manual and the useful customisations are MUCH more limited, basically to just turning the reverse bleep on/off.

Actually when the dealer delivered my car to my house, it transpired that he had forgotten (due a mixup) to turn the continuous bleep off! I had to revisit the workshop the next day to get it sorted. A 5 minute job that cost me nothing. So it's well worth checking with the dealer before you take the car that they have, in fact, switched off the continuous bleep.

I am happy with the car as set up now i.e.

- reverse bleep only once.

As above.

- no autolock on the doors when moving off

My last two cars (both Jaguars) had an autolock feature. At first I thought it was pretty cool, then I realised it was a pain in the proverbial. If I moved the car while waiting for a passenger to embark, I had to remember to physically unlock all the doors before the passenger could get in! In the Prius, if I want to lock the doors, perhaps when passing through a dodgy area, I can easily just press the LOCK button beside the window controls.

- all doors open when I auto-unlock once

I could not be bothered with the dual plip nonsense. Besides, if you really are paranoid enough to want to just open the driver's door on the plipper, then the manual tells you how you can configure this yourself.

Very happy with the car :yes:

R04drunner1

I collected my new T-Spirit yesterday from Inchcape and they had remembered to turn the reversing beep to a single beep as requested. The car is exactly as promised and I am a very happy customer. I watched the DVD last night and am currently ploughing through the sat nav manual. The salesman was kind enough to pair my iPhone with the car so that is one less thing to worry about.

I collected my new T-Spirit yesterday from Inchcape...

Health to enjoy, Calymene! :thumbsup:

R04drunner1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links