Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cold Mornings

Lesco

Does anyone else have this problem, I have been on earlys the last two days at work, so I get up at 04.30 and leave home at 05.30, each morning it has been fairly cold outside, and when I get in my Prius, the inside of the windscreen is sopping wet, I have had to resort to putting a kitchen roll in the car to mop up the condensation that has formed inside the windscreen, it takes virtually all my trip to work to dry out.

Does anyone else have this problem, I have been on earlys the last two days at work, so I get up at 04.30 and leave home at 05.30, each morning it has been fairly cold outside, and when I get in my Prius, the inside of the windscreen is sopping wet, I have had to resort to putting a kitchen roll in the car to mop up the condensation that has formed inside the windscreen, it takes virtually all my trip to work to dry out.

I don't start that early :yahoo:

but haven't noticed anything like that. Do you use the air conditioning, that should dehumidify the interior.

Hope you sort it out.

Lesco, I used to get that in my wife's Suzuki alto (now replaced with her Aygo) make sure the intake is from outside the car, IMHO the only time the intake should be on recirculation is when you are following one of these filthy diesel thingy's - otherwise air from the outside is preferable

Ps- during the winter we sometimes had to scrape the ice off the inside of the windows on the Alto, not had the Aygo thru the winter yet, and my Prius lives in the garage anyway so not affected.

I have the same problem in my Prius, although not sopping wet there is a mist on the screen in the morning, which also comes and goes throughout the day. I use my car like a van carrying all my tools and test equipment for my job and spend up to 8hrs in my car everyday. I use the AC to clear the screen and have the air intake set to outside, but then the mist returns and its getting on my nerves.

My previous car Toyota Avensis misted up as previously described. My Prius is garaged and I am an oldie so do not have early morning starts but on rainy humid days my Prius soon mists up. The only solution I have found is to use air con.That soon clears the mist.

Is your Prius brand spanking new? If so, then it's normal as they seem to steam up rather easily for the first month or so. Sounds crazy but mine did and reading the US forum, others have found the same.

I regularly start work at 5 or 6am and haven't found steaming up an issue (other than above when car was new) but I leave my a/c on all the time and only use the recirc mode occasionally such as if there's a nasty niff outside or to cool the car down quickly in summer.

Using the a/c really doesn't affect the mpg's that much (if hardly at all) at this time of year and has the benefit of keeping the air dry inside the car. This is useful if you carry passengers breathing out all that warm moist air.

Is your Prius brand spanking new? If so, then it's normal as they seem to steam up rather easily for the first month or so. Sounds crazy but mine did and reading the US forum, others have found the same.

I regularly start work at 5 or 6am and haven't found steaming up an issue (other than above when car was new) but I leave my a/c on all the time and only use the recirc mode occasionally such as if there's a nasty niff outside or to cool the car down quickly in summer.

Using the a/c really doesn't affect the mpg's that much (if hardly at all) at this time of year and has the benefit of keeping the air dry inside the car. This is useful if you carry passengers breathing out all that warm moist air.

Mine did when it was new too. A few days of using the front demister should dry things out.

I sometimes get that too, esp if it has been raining.

Things that can help:

+ Wiping down the screen with an anti-misting cloth or spray (Works well for chronic light misting)

+ Aircon + Heat + Windscreen blower (Works great but comes back quickly when you turn it off :( ) - Also, note that it is recommended that you run the blower with air-con off for a while before turning off the engine (e.g. when you're almost home) to clear it. This also stops it stinking of mildew so much when you next use it! (The mildew thing is more of a summer problem tho' AFAIK)

+ Tape small packets of silica gel in front of the air-vents (Actually this does almost nothing)

+ Raise the cabin temperature so the mist can't condense

+ Abuse the windscreen heater if you have one (I've only ever seen these on Fords tho' :( )

+ Breath through your nose and ban any passengers from talking (Works even better if they're unconscious! :D)

+ Leave a bowl of uncooked rice/coffee/silica gel on the dash overnight (AND FOR THE LOVE OF MURPHY REMOVE IT BEFORE DRIVING!!!)

I sometimes get that too, esp if it has been raining.

Things that can help:

+ Wiping down the screen with an anti-misting cloth or spray (Works well for chronic light misting)

+ Aircon + Heat + Windscreen blower (Works great but comes back quickly when you turn it off :( ) - Also, note that it is recommended that you run the blower with air-con off for a while before turning off the engine (e.g. when you're almost home) to clear it. This also stops it stinking of mildew so much when you next use it! (The mildew thing is more of a summer problem tho' AFAIK)

+ Tape small packets of silica gel in front of the air-vents (Actually this does almost nothing)

+ Raise the cabin temperature so the mist can't condense

+ Abuse the windscreen heater if you have one (I've only ever seen these on Fords tho' :( )

+ Breath through your nose and ban any passengers from talking (Works even better if they're unconscious! :D)

+ Leave a bowl of uncooked rice/coffee/silica gel on the dash overnight (AND FOR THE LOVE OF MURPHY REMOVE IT BEFORE DRIVING!!!)

Bit extreme lol.

I don't have a problem with steaming up any more and I carry passengers all the time. Just use the a/c on the auto setting at around 20/21c and you shouldn't continue to have a problem.

If there's as much damp in the car as some have described, I would be investigating the pipe that is supposed to drain condensation from the AC unit outside the vehicle. In some cases this can be incorrectly fitted or come detached, with the result that the condensation drips into the passenger cabin, often undetected. I had a car that suffered this problem, exactly per the posts above, and this was the cause.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links