Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Won't Start

grizzly

Hello

My partner hasn't been using her Yaris for about 4 months, tried to start it a couple of days ago, but no joy. I've recharged the Battery (just in case), still nothing.

The car seems to be extremely dead, none of the electrical bits are working, I can only switch on the driving and the dipped lights (brake lights not working either). The security light is flashing. No reaction whatsoever to the key in the ignition. :ffs: The car is W reg 3-door 998cc Yaris GLS, done 22000 miles.

Your suggestions (apart from scrapping the poor thing) will be appreciated.

I would probably invest in a new Battery cause even though you have charged it, it may be knackered i know that happened to me mate once, Started it after a few weeks no joy, recharged Battery no luck, brought a new one an it all worked then lol.

Possibly checking fuses as well or give ya local dealer a call to see what they say might also be helpful.

Hope this may be of some help if not was just trying to help :P

Might be worth filling up the petrol - my old clio used to go a bit mad if I left it for a few weeks, I think it was something to do with the petrol sitting there, so I'd need to fill it up and take it for a long drive to run it through.

errr? how do u fill it up and take it for a long drive if it won't start? :blink:

only ever seen this when my other half first had some ice put in her car, and they wired the amp so it was permantly on. although charing the Battery helped, but then the car was only about 1 week old at the time, we still took it to toyota and complained, they replaced the Battery. We failed to mention anything about the amp. :lol:

obviously as you have headlights, the Battery isn't completely dead .

look at the fuses in the engine compartment.

How about just taking the terminals off the Battery and cleaning them and the Battery real good.

Lots of times if the starter can't turn over the car, but the head lights work. A simple cleaing of the Battery at the connection points fixes the problem.

It is the batery, even if the car won't start (as in starter motor) there is no power getting to it as nothing turns on, not even warning lights. Try putting distilled water in the Battery or just get a new one for 30 quid.

Also when you do get it running the brakes will be stiff as hell so don't be shocked if you can't get the handbrake off

Mat

errr? how do u fill it up and take it for a long drive if it won't start? :blink:

Ok, reading it through it sounds a bit stupid but it happened with my car. It wouldn't start, so the bloke from the garage filled it up with petrol, jumped up and down a bit in the drivers seat so the petrol would mix around and it started after a couple of go's - magic!

Yeh, I did wonder what he was doing - he didn't say anything, just got in and started jumping up and down. I was about to tell him that you don't start Clio's like that, and you need to use the keys, but he obviously knew what he was doing!

No worries. Didn't think you were anyway.

forgot to check if the car is an auto. microswitch in auto gear selector may have poor contact.

forgot to check if the car is an auto. microswitch in auto gear selector may have poor contact.

manual

Problem solved

Turned out to be a multiple fuse failure

1. Two 15A fuses in the box next to the Battery - responsible for ignition and radio.

2. 100A fuse in the box which sits on the positive terminal of the Battery - responcible for protecting a number of circuits, including lights, windows, etc.

After a quick interrogation using a blow-torch it turned out that a helpful neighbour tried to jump-start the car and connected the negative cable straight to the terminal of the recipient Battery.

Thanks everybody for your replies.

moderators? would this be good info to store somewhere or put in faqs as no doubt someone will have similair probs i future

• 1 month later...

:blink: MY yaris did the same thing after not being driven for a week i called out club toyota and that did took the fuse our and took bout 10min and it started again

they told me the engine was flooded but i cant see how that was possible as after a week of not being driven

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links