Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Remove Dent With Dry Ice?

BarryIQ

Has anyone try to use dry ice to remove a dent from IQ?

As far as I know this method only works on car that have a thin metal body.

I would assume IQ's body is thinner than a BMW but not sure if it is thin enough to use the dry ice method.

Any expect can share some experience?

I would assume IQ's body is thinner than a BMW but not sure if it is thin enough to use the dry ice method.

I would think that this would not be a practical do it yourself method of dent removal as the ultra low temperature may well cause the water based paint on the IQ to crack and there could well be a possibility of personal freeze burn if attempted by the unskilled.

Best left to professional repairers imo :thumbsup:

I would think that this would not be a practical do it yourself method of dent removal as the ultra low temperature may well cause the water based paint on the IQ to crack and there could well be a possibility of personal freeze burn if attempted by the unskilled.

Hmm, its a relatively small dent, most likely from someone to bang their door open in a shopping mall. I got a friend who always handle dry ice in her lab so that shouldn't be danger to do.

Just wondering if the method actually work on IQ so I can save the money and use it for other enhancement onto my car instead lol.

Thanks for the advice tho! :)

Hmm, its a relatively small dent, most likely from someone to bang their door open in a shopping mall. I got a friend who always handle dry ice in her lab so that shouldn't be danger to do.

Just wondering if the method actually work on IQ so I can save the money and use it for other enhancement onto my car instead lol.

I will chat with a body shop guy I know here in Canada where temperatures drop to -40 or colder in the area where I live. I have sold body shop paints and such for many years, and have never heard of using dry ice. I don't think it would affect aqua base paints, because the water base evaporates, and no moisture can be in the paint before the clear coat is sprayed on.

Glen

I will chat with a body shop guy I know here in Canada where temperatures drop to -40 or colder in the area where I live. I have sold body shop paints and such for many years, and have never heard of using dry ice. I don't think it would affect aqua base paints, because the water base evaporates, and no moisture can be in the paint before the clear coat is sprayed on.

Glen

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/963248/remove_car_dent_with_a_lighter/

Another method is to use airduster with lighter/hairdryer. The concept is the same as the dry ice one and its logical to me.

However I want to verify with someone here who has actually done it. Ppl here could be more reliable than the video lol.

Glen

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/963248/remove_car_dent_with_a_lighter/

Another method is to use airduster with lighter/hairdryer. The concept is the same as the dry ice one and its logical to me.

However I want to verify with someone here who has actually done it. Ppl here could be more reliable than the video lol.

The other thing to take into consideration is that when there is a dent, the metal has been stretched, so its pretty hard to un-stretch steel. It will never be the same. There are companies that use rods of various shapes and sizes, to pop out small dents caused by hail, but its not a perfect solution because you can't get the metal back to its initial shape.

Its Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada. I will chat with the best body man I know in a couple of days.

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

I finally chatted with my friend who is an excellent body repair man. He is the best body person that I know. He has seen dry ice being used for small dents. He uses heat to pop small dents back and has a special "spot heater" to do that.

These methods however only work on dents where the metal has not stretched, He used a specific word, but I forget what it is right now. With regards to dry ice or heat damaging water bourn paint, that's not much of an issue, because he said that water bourn paint is superior to other paints, and is more durable.

I worked for a company that sold ICI water bourn paint, all car manufacturers use water bourn paint.

So if the dents are small like a dent you would get from hail, there is a chance the metal has not stretched, and the area will look as good as new.

Glen

Anyone in the business of dent removal know that the "dry ice" & "ligher fluid" videos on youtube etc are bull*hit.

A good dent removal guy will have the tools & knowledge to remove almost any dent (including double skinned & behind sealer).

Glen is right about the paint/metal stretch, although again a good dent techy will adjust the panel/paint to look like the panel is as close to perfect as poss (either by orange peel effect or flatting the topcoat/paint etc).

This is one of the main reasons you pay "good money" to the dent removal guys.

I would be the last one to encourage people to pop out the dents themselves. The heat tool used for popping small dents back into place costs around 400 dollars in Canada, but even if a person was to purchase the tool, they still need to have body repair knowledge, and a person can burn themselves very easily using that tool. I knowledgeable body man would also know if a dent could be "popped", most people who have no experience working with metal wouldn't. A lot of people who try to do repairs themselves end up spending more money than if they had gone to a professional in the first place, because most people screw things up, and then a pro has to fix up the mess. The videos on the net make things look easy, when in reality they are not.

Glen

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links