Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Bite Point

webleymk3

After much anticipation, i got my Rav yesterday and I love it....

I have noticed however the bite point on the clutch is immediate, very sudden/sharp and short. ie the clutch is fully engaged after its about half released!! As such it's the same in the other direction... The clutch doesn't begin to disengage until it's about half depressed..

Is this normal on a Rav? If not, what could be the issue? The dealer says they are all like that but i'm not buying it. i'd driven a couple of Ravs before buying this one and none of them were quite as sharp as this one.

Thanks

Dave

I bet in a weeks time it just feels normal to you.

Maybe so, but is it as it should be?!?

Mine is the same. It's as if the top half of the travel in the pedal is pointless.

I thought it was normal but always good to be sure.

Webbles et All,

It's perfectly normal, and was posted around this time last year, when I took possession of McRavvity at 3000 miles.

I said at the time I would never get used to it, and to this day am convinced that's why the wee wummin who only had it for 3k miles got a BMW automatic....the clutch moved out by one pubis meant it was in full drive.

Either it has "softened" a bit, or I have just gotten used to it....the latter methinks....I now prefer it to the two weeks of travel it took my Avensis to take up drive.

Hope this assistificates,

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Thanks all. hmmm... i've already started getting used to it - its the wife i'm worried about!! The clutch is defo not as smooth as the auris...

On another note, the boys put a tow bar on it but put the electrics vertically in a stack instead of side by side! plonkers, i've already clipped it and bent it... think thats needs modifying!

Happy Wibbler!!

After much anticipation, i got my Rav yesterday and I love it....

I have noticed however the bite point on the clutch is immediate, very sudden/sharp and short. ie the clutch is fully engaged after its about half released!! As such it's the same in the other direction... The clutch doesn't begin to disengage until it's about half depressed..

Is this normal on a Rav? If not, what could be the issue? The dealer says they are all like that but i'm not buying it. i'd driven a couple of Ravs before buying this one and none of them were quite as sharp as this one.

Thanks

Dave

Your RAV has a very special clutch that maintains a constant stroke (bite point) throughout its life unlike a conventional type which starts near the bottom and eventually comes up to the top until at the end it slips as it is worn out. It has to be so becuase the switches for the keyless start (bottom) and hill start assist (top) wouldn't work under various stages of wear. The clutch bite point needs to be between the two switches.

Your XT4 only has the hill start assist so it has the top switch and not the bottom one. It allows you to make a hill start off the footbrake - much better on a slippy surface because all 4 wheels are locked.

Anchs min....I am feeling particularly put out here.....

Out of all the Techy bits you have teacheded me, I was not aware of this bit of Techno wizardry re clutch travel.

Had you even PM'd me said details, I could have posted these facts, and for once looked as if ah knew what ah was talking about, instead of the usual gibberish.

Your wan man tent now being erected in the garden.....

Big Kev :(

Anchs min....I am feeling particularly put out here.....

Out of all the Techy bits you have teacheded me, I was not aware of this bit of Techno wizardry re clutch travel.

Had you even PM'd me said details, I could have posted these facts, and for once looked as if ah knew what ah was talking about, instead of the usual gibberish.

Your wan man tent now being erected in the garden.....

Big Kev :(

To be fair Kev, last winter i got it in my head my clutch biting point seemed a bit low + took it in to Mr T the techy chap pressed it twice said it was perfect, "A low clutch is a good clutch" but i double checked with Anchs + he posted virtually the same reply as above :yes: Can i have a winge please, last 3 weeks had new timing chain + rockers, viscose fan, heater matrix, + clutch + flywheel on my cab aprox £1800 on Wednesday my engine blew up :blowup: awaiting new engine to be fitted £3,600 :hang: Good news won £11 on the euro lottery :clap: Stew

JINGS CRIVVENS HELP MA BOAB, STEW.....

What a run of bad luck. Hope it improves forthwith and fifth without.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

.......could have posted these facts, and for once looked as if ah knew what ah was talking about, instead of the usual gibberish.

Kev - Ah, but knowledge is power ;) , which makes Anchs about 1.21GW (or about 1.62 Mhp if you prefer). You can't just go slapping this knowledge about. :D

Personally, I've never subscribed to the "knowledge is power - so let's withhold some" philosophy and I don't think Anchs does either.

Can i have a winge please, last 3 weeks had new timing chain + rockers, viscose fan, heater matrix, + clutch + flywheel on my cab aprox £1800 on Wednesday my engine blew up..........

Local, to be honest I think you offended the Toyota God "Kaizen San" when you posted blaspheming stuff like this in the past:

I hate taxis, i don't want to read about them write about them or even think about them, but it is my lot to drive one 70+ hrs a week 49 wks of the year, now these are not old fashioned engines my current one has a Chrysler voyager engine, It chugs around Manchester city centre barely getting above 40 It has 2 govt MOT tests including emissions to euro IV std every year + will shortly be upgraded to Euro V std. now when we take them for test we all (1032 of us) sit outside the test centre + rev the B****X off them for 10 mins in order to blow the cr*p out of the exhaust (we are advised to do this) but as previously stated, on this particular vehicle the EGR has Never been cleaned or replaced in 190,000mls of mostly city driving. I personally have had no probs whatsoever with my Rav, but for those that have, If these EGRs needed cleaning every so often they would be done as part of the service schedule, but they are not, so why are we having to do it ourselves? :unsure: because something whether its the EGR the ECU or something else is not operating as Toyota intended it should be and IMO that constitutes a fault, which needs rectifying by MR T..going for a lie down in a dark room now :help2: Stew

Now, "Kaizen San" is exacting his revenge, by raining down cab gremlins :yes:

I know, I know, your cab's been to the moon and back.

Seriously Stew, It never rains......... does it? Sorry to here about all that. You're going to have to press all those Man Utd players for extra large tips now. They can afford it. :yes::thumbsup:

Kev

Print this out and show your mates down the pub - knock 'em dead;

clutch.pdf

Stewy

Sorry to hear the news. I'm tempted to say it's that SMF that did it but you probably aren't in the mood :censor: .

What I must thank you for is the joke that had the office falling about earlier;

Wife says to husband - "I've just fallen down the stairs, didn't you hear it?" Husband says - "Sorry love I thought it was East Enders finishing!!!".

:thumbsup:

Just received Stew's "Eastenders" one massellf....absolute classic. The ban is monkers, oui?

Big :lol: Kev.

Kev

Print this out and show your mates down the pub - knock 'em dead;

clutch.pdf

Stewy

Sorry to hear the news. I'm tempted to say it's that SMF that did it but you probably aren't in the mood :censor: .

What I must thank you for is the joke that had the office falling about earlier;

Wife says to husband - "I've just fallen down the stairs, didn't you hear it?" Husband says - "Sorry love I thought it was East Enders finishing!!!".

:thumbsup:

Bet you didn't read out any of the others + you've edited that one.. P.S "that" cab doesn't have a solid flywheel or it didn,t till monday :eek: Stew, however it has done 248,000mls

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links