Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My Gen 2 Is Good But Is The Gen 3 Or Auris Hsd Better?

dwilson

I really like my Gen 2 Prius but is the Gen 3 better?

If so in what way? I would be interested to hear from peoples who have driven both.

I imagine a better drive with the 1.8 engine and probably better fuel consumption, but reading some of the comments on here I wonder if there is much difference?

Also curious to know anyone on this forum has traded in a Prius for an Auris HSD, and if so the perceived advantages and disadvantages?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Oops - sorry about the typo in the title.

**Title Corrected**

Edited by Red Yaris 54
title corrected

I can only give you my observations as a passenger as I have not driven my wife's car.

The newest version is better because:

Audio system/sat nav is much better

The gear slector is in a far more logical location

The information/speedo display is better

The car is bigger giving better leg room for the taller person like me

The car has a better engine, I think the 1.8 is better

I am sure the hybrid drive train has improved

The external styling is, in my opinion, better

I hope this helps huh.gif

I can only give you my observations as a passenger as I have not driven my wife's car.

Thanks Steve.

I agree with you, the external styling does look better!

To be honest there's not a great deal of differance between the two. The gen 3 is just a little bit bigger and a little bit better but if you're happy with the one you've got then stick with it.

Personally I'd say the gen3 is better - only because I've got one :thumbsup:

Also curious to know anyone on this forum has traded in a Prius for an Auris HSD, and if so the perceived advantages and disadvantages?

Cheers :thumbs up:

One possible disadvantage you should check out is the relative boot sizes between the Auris's.

My Auris HSD is considerably smaller [because of the HV battery] than the Corolla that it replaced.

I would suspect your wife's Auris is bigger as well, and no doubt the Prius is also bigger.

If boot space is a priority it could influence your choice, another tip don't rely on the data measurements go and physically look as I found the data confusing.

Cheers TerryB

One possible disadvantage you should check out is the relative boot sizes between the Auris's.

My Auris HSD is considerably smaller [because of the HV battery] than the Corolla that it replaced.

I would suspect your wife's Auris is bigger as well, and no doubt the Prius is also bigger.

If boot space is a priority it could influence your choice, another tip don't rely on the data measurements go and physically look as I found the data confusing.

Cheers TerryB

Thanks - very good point. Yes my wife thinks her Auris boot is larger than the Corolla's that she had before. At the moment I need reasonable luggage carrying ability for trips to university for my daughter.

I'd go along with most of the above, I don't think there is much more space in the gen3, although I suspect the boot is bigger in the Prius than in the Auris....

Hi I do like the heads up display on the Gen 3 and find it to be a better marginally car than the Gen 2 but you should watch out for the paintwork as it is water based it cannot resist bird lime and it scratches easier in fact it lets the car down badly .

Hi I do like the heads up display on the Gen 3 and find it to be a better marginally car than the Gen 2 but you should watch out for the paintwork as it is water based it cannot resist bird lime and it scratches easier in fact it lets the car down badly .

All new cars are the same and have been for a few years so sadly there is nothing that can be done about it huh.gif

Cheers TerryB

Thanks - very good point. Yes my wife thinks her Auris boot is larger than the Corolla's that she had before. At the moment I need reasonable luggage carrying ability for trips to university for my daughter.

If you do go for the Auris HSD the Boot Maximiser is useful for increasing the usable boot space:

Boot maximiser (T4 & T Spirit)

Make the best use of the boot space in your Auris Hybrid with the boot maximiser. This accessory creates more useable space in the boot area, a great benefit to those regularly carrying luggage and other cargo.

I know a really good boot maximiser - the Prius :yahoo:

Sorry, couldn't resist it! :!Removed!:

Look out, it's kicking off.... :lol:

Look out, it's kicking off.... :lol:

New forum for "boots"? :yahoo:

Seriously, I think we will be comparing the Auris and Prius continually, at least till the next hybrid comes along. They are different cars for different jobs, and with the current trends to build new houses either without garages or with small ones I wonder if that comes into the equation when a new car is purchased?? Maybe in 20 years time we will all be buying Mini's because nothing else will fit into the garage!!

I would suspect your wife's Auris is bigger as well

Cheers TerryB

We know what you actually meant! :!Removed!:

All new cars are the same and have been for a few years so sadly there is nothing that can be done about it huh.gif

The first thing I did when I got my car was to get it detailed on the exterior. That included having a really high quality wax applied to it to protect the paintwork. Collinite 476s Super Doublecoat. It also makes the car easier to keep clean. The effect is stunning IMHO.

Sadly my car was already scratched in a supermarket carpark even in the first two days of owning it. The scratch was down to the metal so the best the Detailer could do was to diminish it. Thankfully it's hardly visible now.

I would really recommend getting a high quality wax and applying it to your car, that will better protect the paint.

R04drunner1

Seriously, I think we will be comparing the Auris and Prius continually, at least till the next hybrid comes along. They are different cars for different jobs, and with the current trends to build new houses either without garages or with small ones I wonder if that comes into the equation when a new car is purchased?? Maybe in 20 years time we will all be buying Mini's because nothing else will fit into the garage!!

Interestingly, the Auris is wider and taller but shorter than the Prius Gen 3.

I think the main reason for changing to the Gen 3 Prius is that it looks better, but since you already own a Gen 2 I don't think it matters to you thumbsup.gif

Interestingly, the Auris is wider and taller but shorter than the Prius Gen 3.

At the moment the Prius and Auris are kept outside but my garage is rather short and I have my daughter's Micra in there!

Maybe in the future I will be able to retire and just have the one car that I will want to put away after polishing!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links