Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Reversing Camera

uddy1

As a disabled driver I was thinking of having a reversing camera fitted,as anyone had one fitted if so can they recommend one.Looking on e-bay the camera is fitted near the number plate. how do they get the wire to the reversing lights?I have a t spirit hatchback,thanks

i have the reversing camera on mine as fitted from new and find them extremely helpful once you get used to it, you can safely reverse using camera and door mirrors.

i suspect fitting one would be easy by connecting to reverse light wire but i personally would not know how to do it nor would i have any interest in trying but it cannot be an expensive job.

As a disabled driver I was thinking of having a reversing camera fitted,as anyone had one fitted if so can they recommend one.Looking on e-bay the camera is fitted near the number plate. how do they get the wire to the reversing lights?I have a t spirit hatchback,thanks

well its not a big deal as i ve install one on my 07 avensis and connect it to my aftermarket pioneer dvd player. i bought this ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-CAMRY-2009-CMOS-PAL-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f03e0e16eQQitemZ270648009070QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories ) on eBay, everything was ok but at night was really bad. so i decided just to replace the camera with a ccd camera and now at night its better. i will post some picture tomorrow if u want to know how to wire it just tell me i'll post some picture of the installation.

I have one on mt T4 tourer and the camera, hard drive and sat nav which cost £1500 is the worst £1500 is spent.

The camera is handy but does nowhere near a better job than acoustic sensors. The camera is off centre, so you can't see the drivers side corner, so when you're reversing left out of a space the corner at risk is not seen, so you make a habbit of reversing into spaces to counter this problem. I find if you use the camera you park skewed across the space, it's nightmare trying to park in a space squarely. In winter road grime covers it in muck, it's poor at night and anything you can't see on the camera you can hit.

Acoustic sensors pick up around the rear corners and from floor level to about 3 foot high, far more effective. The camera is a gimmick, or they do what Nissan do and what our New Subaru Forrester has which is a grid on the display which acts as a 'target' and removes the tendency to park skew wiff!!

Uddy you'd need to consider how you'd view the images too and it would involve wiring something back to your dashboard, for me I'd spend £150 and go to one of these audio installers that can now very discretely colour match sensors that do a bette job.

Good luck with it mate.

Despite what Mick has just written I have to counter it.

I have the same system as him and I like it. A few years back I had a Nissan Primera with a reversing camera and the Toyota system is just as good. Yes the camera is offset but that is easily countered by knowing what your car is doing and where it is by also using the mirrors, that makes sure you do not park skewed. I find that I can reverse up to something and be as close as 75mm without hitting it. My wifes Prius has the grid overlay and that is good but not better than that installed in the Avensis, it is simply an extra aid. As for night vision, I find it good. The camera is not a complete reversing system, it is simply an aid and not a replacement for good old fashioned driver observation.

Sorry Mick I cannot agree with your comments regarding the system we have in our cars :huh:

i agree with phoenix999 i find the camera very useful and the view good with parking sensors you can sometimes get false signals but the camera shows a very good view in my opinion, i believe any cars without satnav and with the camera has the grid (i may be wrong of course but feel sure i have read somewhere that with the satnav you do not get the grid) the camera can get dirty but so do sensors and they can then give false signals.

Sorry Mick I cannot agree with your comments regarding the system we have in our cars :huh:

I don't come on here often but everything I've written you've 'countered' with the absolute opposite. I can remember coming on here when I first got it and you shot me down regarding the various shortcoming I noted. I can only conclude you're a dealer that can see no negatives??

I do agree that it is merely a reversing aid and you use your side mirrors to straighten the car up, I do and use the camera for clarification but in the many years of driving various cars I've never had false alarm, they sound because somethings there or your reversing down a drive and it's picking up the floor when the road levels out.

Ok, the opinion of an unbiased, definitely non-dealer, user then:

The audio reversing aid works great.

I have them, and I dare say that they are indispensable on a car with the shape like a T27 Tourer.

Toyota should make it a standard feature.

I've seen the reversing camera in action on the test drive car, and that too looked great.

However, I could only order that here in combination with the large display navigation device which I did not want.

If the large display unit would not have been so ridiculously expensive, both in purchase and in (map-) maintenance, maybe I would have both. :yes:

I don't come on here often but everything I've written you've 'countered' with the absolute opposite. I can remember coming on here when I first got it and you shot me down regarding the various shortcoming I noted. I can only conclude you're a dealer that can see no negatives??

I do agree that it is merely a reversing aid and you use your side mirrors to straighten the car up, I do and use the camera for clarification but in the many years of driving various cars I've never had false alarm, they sound because somethings there or your reversing down a drive and it's picking up the floor when the road levels out.

An opinion is just an opinion otherwise we would all be clones and it's not worth falling out over, but just remember ....... the only person who is always right is the wife!;).

Mick I have had the same feeling as you in the past (not from Pheonix999 by the way) but take it on your northern chin mate, i'm pretty sure (and hope) it's not personal.

Best regards as always .... Pete.

I don't come on here often but everything I've written you've 'countered' with the absolute opposite. I can remember coming on here when I first got it and you shot me down regarding the various shortcoming I noted. I can only conclude you're a dealer that can see no negatives??....

Well my friend we disagree because we view some things differently.... it is as simple as that. As has been said an opinion is an opinion and nothing personal at all.

As for being a dealer :blink: Sorry but you are as wide of the mark as anyone could be given that I work in the public sector and certainly not as part of a dealership of any kind and I never have been.

I read your earlier post, considered it and replied.... I am sorry if you did not like it but that is life. Mick, we are both entitled to express ourselves and you certainly cannot suggest that I have been anything other than polite and surely you can't think I am targeting you.... should you think such a thing then you are wide of the mark once again :huh:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links