Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is The Prius Worth Its Money?

stompe

Grumpy, you are not really comparing like for like though. For example, the base Focus doesn't include an automatic gearbox does it? What about the spec? What about servicing costs, probably the costs for maintenance will be higher on the Focus?

I was going to say the same thing!

You have to compare the Prius to at least an automatic. That bumps the price right up (as I found when I was shopping). Automatic was the number one must have for me.

Plus we have 20% vat in January :censor:

20% VAT?? - Luxury! :yahoo:

It's 25% here in Norway and has been for years. :ffs:

MOVE! :D :D

Yeah, it's cold up there :(

Be interesting to see if Toyota will do any deals in January with the vat going up! :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's cold up there :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only saying yes that it is worth its money as the running costs are saving us nearly £8k/annum. Yet purpose price compared to the previous vehicle was list vs list only £4k less.

However in order to keep justifying the price they do need to get the interior up to scratch, the bare plastics cause for rattles when you put anything in them which is annoying the hell out of me. On balance they still have a nice, but it won't last for ever.

Grumpy, you are not really comparing like for like though. For example, the base Focus doesn't include an automatic gearbox does it? What about the spec? What about servicing costs, probably the costs for maintenance will be higher on the Focus?

I was going to say the same thing!

You have to compare the Prius to at least an automatic. That bumps the price right up (as I found when I was shopping). Automatic was the number one must have for me.

I do agree and this is often my basis of argument to customers who say the Prius is expensive. It is good value for money compared to an automatic of a similar type. Trouble is, not everyone wants an automatic and that could be where the Prius could start to lose out. When it was £18,500 it compared well to a slightly more upspec manual Focus, but now it is way over unless you want the auto option and not everyone does!

I'm sure there were many reasons for the lower price when the Prius was released - the main one being the then new Honda Insight II, but as that flopped (probably 'cos the Prius wasn't much more expensive) and as the new London congestion charge rules favour cars under 100g/km, I think Toyota are getting greedy and pushing the price as much as they can.

Anyhow, I'm after the plug in Prius when it's released mid 2012 as I am still a Prius fan. I just don't think I could go back to 30-35 mpg.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links