Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car Arrives Tuesday... Questions To Ask

markleigh

T-Spirit due Tuesday (Novus Grey). I know this might seem like a dumb question but is there anything special I should ask to be demonstrated during the handover (apart from anything obvious)

ie those things that when you get home, you can't figure out and kick yourself for not asking the dealer at the time... All suggestions welcome!

Many thanks

Mark

Some suggestions for you to consider, in no particular order:

- use of bluetooth including pairing your phone and transfer of address book [latter not possible on mine, manual entry is a pain]

- starting and stopping procedures (including setting and releasing the parking brake)

- how to do pulse and glide [you never know they might know and be willing to demonstrate!]

- adjusting the seats

- adjusting the rear view mirror

- use of SATNAV

- use of multiple CDs

- make sure you get the reversing bleep deprogrammed

- demo of automatic parking

Enjoy! :rolleyes:

Nothing to add other than the t-spirit has a hard drive, not multiple cd changer....

Reversing beep is a matter of choice, personally I don't notice it but you may...

Otherwise enjoy your Prius, it's a great car :thumbsup:

This isn't mastermind or the krypton factor. :eek: Unless you've got a photographic memory you aren't going to remember a great big long list of howtos.

You should be shown the main car controls e.g. lights, indicators, defogger, etc.

How to power on and off the car.

How to release and set the parking brake.

How to unlock and lock the car.

If you feel rushed on something that you feel is important or you didn't quite see on the first run through, make them show you again at your pace.

Oh, and just enjoy driving and getting used to the car, trying to understand the various mpg information displays can come later after you've got used to driving the car safely. YMMV

Nothing to add other than the t-spirit has a hard drive, not multiple cd changer....

Oops, good point, forgot that. :!Removed!:

Markleigh, as Timberwolf says, don't go for information overload. My list is just some suggestions, not a checklist to be exhaustively (and exhaustingly) followed!

As Jon&tone says, the main thing is to enjoy it.

You can always resort to reading the manual once you get your hands on the car! :bookworm: I found out about the Hill-start Assist Control that way! :thumbsup:

Hey timberwolf.... It is mastermind!

Questions will be asked 3days after Mark picks up the car, points will be given for correct answers and if he can quote the manual exactly he gets an orange!!

enjoy the car Mark, you won't remember half what the salesman tells you, that's what this forum is for :yahoo:

NOW you're scaring me!

Many thanks - am sure I'll be on the forum a lot more after the car's delivered so apologies in advance for any dumb questions coming your (collective) way...

(I've already watched the various You Tube films to try and understand stuff)

Mark

NOW you're scaring me!

Seriously!

The recommended tyre pressures for the Prius are quite high (see sticker on the driver's door frame) and a few of us have had our Prius come back from the dealer with 30psi all round (way too low). Make sure your brand new car has the right tyre pressures as per the door sticker.

NOW you're scaring me!

Seriously!

The recommended tyre pressures for the Prius are quite high (see sticker on the driver's door frame) and a few of us have had our Prius come back from the dealer with 30psi all round (way too low). Make sure your brand new car has the right tyre pressures as per the door sticker.

Absolutely. My tyres left the dealer at 3 bar - a bit high.

Reversing beep switched off (unless you want to sound like a truck) and check the tyre pressures at 36f, 35r.

And as others have said, the Prius is VERY susceptible to tyre pressures and even 1 or 2 psi too low can affect handling and to a greater extent, fuel economy.

Other than the above, just double check for delivery scratches as you would any new car.

Oh, you might also find the car steams/mists up more often than it should. I wouldn't worry - from posts on here and the US Prius site it looks like this is normal. Mine did it for the first 4 weeks or so.

OK, now enjoy your new motor. :thumbsup:

Reversing beep switched off (unless you want to sound like a truck) and check the tyre pressures at 36f, 35r.

And as others have said, the Prius is VERY susceptible to tyre pressures and even 1 or 2 psi too low can affect handling and to a greater extent, fuel economy.

Other than the above, just double check for delivery scratches as you would any new car.

Oh, you might also find the car steams/mists up more often than it should. I wouldn't worry - from posts on here and the US Prius site it looks like this is normal. Mine did it for the first 4 weeks or so.

OK, now enjoy your new motor. :thumbsup:

Grumpy

Just been outside the office to check and my gen3 t-spirit says 33F 32R on the relevant label....

So just check the label Mark when you get home and check the tyre pressures are as per....

:thumbsup:

You're probably right. Double check the correct tyre pressures for the particular model and wheels you have got! :thumbsup:

Will do... have pressure gauge at the ready; locked and loaded (well, as much as you can lock and load a pressure gauge, obviously!)

M

Well... got car. Ab Fab! (got dealer to stop the infernal bleeping).

Did about 300 miles today motorway and town on eco - registered about 63mpg.

Haven't exactly read the handbooks cover to cover (especially the navigation one... jesus!) however one question...

When I'm stopped at lights and put the gearbox into Park by pressing the [P] button the car jerks forward ever so slightly, about a second after you depress the button.

Is this normal... or is it just the car rolling forward (or back) slightly and then stopping because the parking brake isn't applied...

(Does this make sense?)

Thanks

Mark

The lurch is normal. Switching to Park engages a parking pawl into a toothed gear on the transmission and solidly locks the driving wheels.

Opinion has been divided on what to do with the transmission at traffic lights/junctions/etc... (my guess is some members will take the opportunity to reopen the debate? I'd suggest searching the forum, shrug :) )

Glad you're enjoying the car :thumbsup:

As timber wolf says the slight roll is normal

Also whether you use the parking brake or just the 'p' is your choice. Opinion is pretty evenly split as per a previous discussion so pretty much up to you...

Just enjoy the car.

That is the famous hybrid rock. You get used to it after a while. Not sure how far you actually roll but I guess it isn't as far as it feels like.

Yes as others have said this is normal. On the flat the car may not roll and you will not feel the jolt, but on a hill it can be quite a jolt!

If I am likely to be stopped only a few seconds I just hold the car on the footbrake but otherwise I do engage Park. Only had my Prius since August and at first I used the foot-handbrake rather than Park but after reading comments here I switched my method!

As Timberwolf suggests search the forum for previous comments, would be a good idea.

Enjoy your car :thumbsup:

Go to "Waiting at Roundabouts & Junctions" dated 7 Oct 2010 on Page 4 that is the most prolific post - plenty there to mull over. :o

Cheers TerryB

Thanks all... good to know it's meant to happen (bit disconcerting at first).

Will try and check other posts before I bore everyone with any future queries!

M

Hey markleigh - Here's anther one to give you sleepless nights :---

Go to "The Difference between P and N" on Page ,5 gets a little technical, but I reckon at the end of the day Toyota have sorted out answers to the most idiotic driver attempst to ruin their cars.

The one that bugged me most was what happens if you hit the 'P' button whilst driving along ???? :unsure:

Apparently [answered by a post on this forum by one who had done it accidentally] all that happens is the transmission is put into 'N' :rolleyes:

Just enjoy your awesome brand new driving experience, worry about the finer points one at a time,and in your own time. :yes:

Cheers Terry

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links