Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Gen 2 T3 Run-Flat Tyres

rodi

I have two Run-Flat tyres on rear axle on my Prius gen 2 T3. Please advise Run-Flat tyres are any better than normal (fuel economy etc.) and are they actually suitable for Prius gen 2 T3 as I do not have tyre pressure monitor/warning light? Shall I keep them or change to normal ones?

One more thing, is it hard to notice if they are out of air?

Any advise welcome.

Regards

Hi rodi

I can't say what the effect on of run-flats on a Prius might be, but I have previously had them on a BMW 320d and a Mini Cooper S. Both of these has run-flats. The ride was pretty awful and if you don't have a tyre pressure monitoring system then they are pretty pointless. However, I did change the Dunlop run-flats on the Mini to normal Continental PremiumContact2 tyres and my ride improved dramatically. As did my MPG. It went up from 34mpg to 41mpg. Which is quite unheard of in a supercharged Mini. I suspect the rolling resistance is not very good on run-flats.

Also, if you do want to keep them then I would get the run-flats on each wheel...unless you can guarantee that your next blowout will happen on your rear axle :huh:

Cheers

Dave

Hi rodi

I can't say what the effect on of run-flats on a Prius might be, but I have previously had them on a BMW 320d and a Mini Cooper S. Both of these has run-flats. The ride was pretty awful and if you don't have a tyre pressure monitoring system then they are pretty pointless. However, I did change the Dunlop run-flats on the Mini to normal Continental PremiumContact2 tyres and my ride improved dramatically. As did my MPG. It went up from 34mpg to 41mpg. Which is quite unheard of in a supercharged Mini. I suspect the rolling resistance is not very good on run-flats.

Also, if you do want to keep them then I would get the run-flats on each wheel...unless you can guarantee that your next blowout will happen on your rear axle :huh:

Cheers

Dave

I would want to endorse all Dave's comments, though I think recent versions of run-flats give a better ride than early ones. Generally, there is a pretty hefty price premium also and if you do get a puncture, there is a great reluctance to repair because of the danger of side wall damage when running un-inflated. So a puncture generally means a (pretty expensive) replacement.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice", but up to now I have concluded that on balance I will stick to conventional tyres. I do understand however that there is legislation on the way to make run-flats compulsory on new vehicles? I have also read that tyre pressure monitoring will become compulsory, though I dislike the idea. Can anyone provide better information?

I checked them and they are actually two different tyres (pirelli and goodyear), the same size, but different speed symbol ... should I replace them?

Rodi

The general advice is that you never mix tyre makes on the same axle as they have differing tread patterns. I would get them replaced with the same make and model of tyre on your rear axle. I would also get non-run flat tyres as well.

Cheers

Dave

I checked them and they are actually two different tyres (pirelli and goodyear), the same size, but different speed symbol ... should I replace them?

Rodi

The general advice is that you never mix tyre makes on the same axle as they have differing tread patterns. I would get them replaced with the same make and model of tyre on your rear axle. I would also get non-run flat tyres as well.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I'll stick to your advice, thanks a lot.

Rodi

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

New Kumho tyres ordered and will be fitted tomorrow ... tyres shop advised me that Kumhos are better than Dunlops, hopefully they are right ;)

Rodi

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

New Kumho tyres ordered and will be fitted tomorrow ... tyres shop advised me that Kumhos are better than Dunlops, hopefully they are right ;)

I fitted Kumhos on a Honda Civicaround 3 1/2 years ago, to replace Michelin Primacys. They were significantly quieter, lasted as well as the Michelins and with road holding at least as good. I was very impressed.

I look forward to your experiences and mpg figures.

Rodi

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I fitted Kumhos on a Honda Civicaround 3 1/2 years ago, to replace Michelin Primacys. They were significantly quieter, lasted as well as the Michelins and with road holding at least as good. I was very impressed.

I look forward to your experiences and mpg figures.

At the moment they are keeping the car straight like I never experienced before. At low speed it’s fine but above 40mph they just like going straight … its sounds silly, but my old Dunlops have acted bit different, but this may change after few more miles :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links