Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Selection

speedingsivi

Hi all

I have noticed that the cheap tyres I put on my car due to limited funds whilst at uni are dreadful as soon as a bit of rain hits the deck.

Now I am working I thought I would buy some better tyres. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have the standard aygo black alloys on the car.

Thanks

Tom

'Cheap' tyres are traditionally poor quality unfortunately, which is a shame. I'd personally go for the Continentals, which my Aygo has had since I bought it. The tread is wearing remarkably well. Might be worth reading up on one of Auto Express's tyre tests (as this can often highlight the good ones and dodgy ones), or await any other replies! But I'd personally back Continental only because they've been great on my Aygo Black (same wheels as yourself). :)

Check out www.camskill.co.uk - they have Toyo and Hankook, both well respected mid range tyres (Hankook are fitted on new VW vehicles) for £27 or £30 a corner.

Contis on ours have shown poor life. Due to rotation they have done 12,000 miles, but all four will need replacing before we get proper winter weather.

I have continentals on mine and they were brilliant last year, I live at the bottom of the street with a steep incline on it and i never failed to get up the street once despite us having at least 6 heavy snowfalls last winter (some 4" +) , i like them so much that i have just bought 4 brand new ones to fit on my new alloys i will be having for xmas.

Cheers guys. I will check out the auto express guide and look into the tyres you have suggested.

I was looking into changing my car but because this car is so cheap to run I just can't bring myself to spend a fortune on a new one. So thought I would get new tyres, matts and get the alloys refurbed. Maybe a professional clean too. Hopefully that will get me a bit more excited for the car I used to love. If only it had a little more power. Argh nevermind.

Thanks again.

More suggestions welcome.

Tom

Always found Good Years the best for wear, noise levels and grip but not sure they make them in Aygo size.

Hi all

I have noticed that the cheap tyres I put on my car due to limited funds whilst at uni are dreadful as soon as a bit of rain hits the deck.

Now I am working I thought I would buy some better tyres. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have the standard aygo black alloys on the car.

Thanks

Tom

I'm currently on the original Conti's. Having a look around at the moment as I'll be needing 2 fronts before winter kicks in.

I don't bother rotating mine. The rears have loads of tread left. The fronts have done almost 19,000 miles which I'm really pleased with.(I'm old and drive like a puff :))

Personally, I'd avoid budgets like the plague. Just not worth it imo.

What I've found so far per tyre...(all fitted, balanced etc) :

Costco Michelin's £58

Etyres(Nationwide mobile-come to you!) Toyo's £48

Kwikfit £52 for Conti's (ordering online prices)

National Toyo's £43 (ordering online prices)

Think I'll probably get the Michelins from Costco.

Cheers guys. I will check out the auto express guide and look into the tyres you have suggested.

I was looking into changing my car but because this car is so cheap to run I just can't bring myself to spend a fortune on a new one. So thought I would get new tyres, matts and get the alloys refurbed. Maybe a professional clean too. Hopefully that will get me a bit more excited for the car I used to love. If only it had a little more power. Argh nevermind.

Thanks again.

Tom

What were you thinking of changing it for? I agree... it's mega cheap to run and being a student that really helps finances!

I think you have to find the right tyre for you. I found the original Conti's to grip well but be very soft and consequently wear too quickly. I needed a new front pair at circa 8K miles (in as many months) - so I complained to Toyota GB and got a pair of Micehlins FOC (but thats another story!). Reading the experience of other owners though, you find they have been quote happy with them.

I personally like Michelins and buy them through Costco. As an alternative brand, I too would endorse Hankooks having used them on my PUGs ;)

Be interested to know what you get though and how you find them!

>> I needed a new front pair at circa 8K miles (in as many months)

Crikey. You must have sandpapered roads. I got 25k from the original Contis, and replaced them with the same for £200 all up for four.

Done about 10k since then and no real wear yet.

Thanks again.

Tom

What were you thinking of changing it for? I agree... it's mega cheap to run and being a student that really helps finances!

I was looking at golfs, polos and just because I have always wanted one a celica. But when I look at the running costs and cost to change car I think what's the point when the aygo is so cheap to run.

Thanks guys for the other suggestions. I will let you know on what I decide and post a review on here also.

Funny you should mention the contis running out in 8 months. Mine lasted a year with 7k. Probably due to me being a new driver 4 years ago.

Much more of a careful driver now.

I haven't been on this forum in a long time. What has happened to all the meets that used to take place?!

Tom

hi i have had 2 pairs of fronts with a 3rd pair due soon (all OE spec Contis) having only done 26500 miles in total (ie orig set plus what will be 2 new sets in under 30000 miles!! - i am not going to put any more contis on..............

i loved toyos on my cossie and leon but they were the T1R's and T1S's which dont think you get in 'aygo size'?

the michelins from costco sound good (is that the energy E3a/b versions?) - what are they like for grip/ wear etc?

any other suggestions/ feedback would be helpful.............

Continentals, parelli, michelin, falkon are all very good tyre make even their cheaper versions are good ( excuse the bad spelling of the names)

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly too late for the winter weather arriving (!) I've ordered 4 Toyos from Camskill - £125 delivered. £30 for fitting so £155 for four.

Local tyre centre wanted a £270 for the same tyre, quote for Contis was £295! Needless to say I declined.

Update: Tyres fitted today and 8mm of new rubber doesn't half make a difference in snow - it climbed a hill I couldn't get up with the Contis on the front.

Toyos are treadwear rated at 400 rather than the 230 of the Contis so they should last longer than 13,000 miles.

• 1 month later...

I bought a 'black' which had new tyres on the front but the dealer had fitted the cheapest he could find - "Primewell". They are terrible. I even pulled over because I thought I had a flat. They float around at speed as if the sidewall hasn't got enough strength. The ABS also kicks in long before you would expect the tyres to be losing grip when in the rain. NEVER buy cheap tyres. I'm off to get some original Continentals tomorrow.

For Aygo we buy budget tyres, roughly £30 a corner balanced/fitted. The car goes up to 70 mph anyway. They are ok, cannot fault them. And they don't wear as quickly as the ones I got from the factory which were made of butter really. Fronts were completely bald after 12k miles.

Astra will get a set of Hankook Ventus V12s soon (I rate them higher than GoodYear Eagle). That will be £90 a corner. In this case quality matters as there is no room for error.

i have also recently fitted 2 toyos to the front as the worn contis just couldnt deal with the snow in december!

so far so good.................

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links