Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Free Diy Intake Mod

sheepscloth

Hi Guys

I have been thinking of buying an intake system, like Apexi, K&N typhoon etc, for a while.

Then I found this link : Airbox mod

From that test, modifying the airbox alone, would give 9.2% power gain, which whould equate to a 17Bhp gain on a TS( really doubt that)

As it is free and as the TS airbox is very restrictive I thought: "OK lets give it a go!"

Basically, you just cut open the lower part of the standard airbox as I have shown on the attached photos.

The result is FANTASTIC! The sound is totally great, and the car seems much more rev happy, much better throttle respons and it feels like it has a lot more torque.

And the best thing is that it is only at full throttle that it growls! under normal throttle it is no louder than before.

I can only recommend this mod! :thumbsup:

Give it a go, its free!

post-96174-037267000 1289228864_thumb.jp

post-96174-008717900 1289228873_thumb.jp

Hi Guys

I have been thinking of buying an intake system, like Apexi, K&N typhoon etc, for a while.

From that test, modifying the airbox alone, would give 9.2% power gain, which whould equate to a 17Bhp gain on a TS( really doubt that)

As it is free and as the TS airbox is very restrictive I thought: "OK lets give it a go!"

Basically, you just cut open the lower part of the standard airbox as I have shown on the attached photos.

The result is FANTASTIC! The sound is totally great, and the car seems much more rev happy, much better throttle respons and it feels like it has a lot more torque.

And the best thing is that it is only at full throttle that it growls! under normal throttle it is no louder than before.

Give it a go, its free!

May be ok till the warm months return, then the heat from the engine is going to kill the advantage, plus the cost of renewing the airbox.............Ouch.

Hi Guys

Give it a go, its free!

I must also point out that there is a danger of sucking in Battery acid/ Battery gassing fumes when modifying the airbox in that way

Hi Guys

Give it a go, its free!

May be ok till the warm months return, then the heat from the engine is going to kill the advantage, plus the cost of renewing the airbox.............Ouch.

no more heat if anything LESS than if you had an apexi or k&n fitted

Hi Guys

Give it a go, its free!

no more heat if anything LESS than if you had an apexi or k&n fitted

yeah, but anyone who goes to the trouble of fitting an apexi or a k&n usually follow it up with a cold air feed pipe from the lower grill, as opposed to the restrictive stock airfeed snorkel which, in my opinion, is the main problem with the cts/cts-c intake, not the box...

No wonder it noisey - chopping up a filter box like that will loose all it rigigity - it'll be honking like a migrating goose. :wacko:

Has anyone actualy had a dyno test carried out to see if any of the modded intake systems makes any difference in power output. I have seen ancedotal evidence and so-called claims by the ton but as yet never seen a dyno graph print-out.

Also what is meant by improved throttle response or is it all just the placebo effect. And how can so-called throttle response improve either power output or accelearation.

Also if colder air is fed into the engine in the hope of increasing the oxygen content will the oxygen sensor in the exhaust not detect such changes and then the ECU will just to compensate thus cancelling out any initial benefit.:)

And an open induction kit couldnt suck in said battery gases?

People who install open induction kits (apexi or a k&n) usually follow it up with a cold air feed pipe from the lower grill.

This avoids sucking in most of the hot engine bay air and said Battery gasses but not all of them.

It is not really a great idea to hack off the side of the standard airbox! :rolleyes:

I totally considered all your points.

But I have actually done this same mod to all my previous cars( exept for my boxster), and I must say that I can not see any difference between this and an open cone filter like a K&N.

Of cource it is not a CAI, but neither is a cone filter. I will probably swab the air feed pipe with a thicker one at some point.

Re placebo effect, well maybe, but so can be said for a lot of mods. One thing that is definitly not placebo is the noise it makes at full tilt which is addictive.

I will still recommend this mod.

It certainly puts a smile on my face.

NB: It can always be reverted back to how it was by gluing back the part I cut out.

I hacked my airbox so I didn't have to buy a pipe with a hole for the MAF to fit my air filter to, but it makes my engine look a bit messy, so I'm going to be buying a RAM pipe anyways, fail on my part.

I looked at the cost of getting a new airbox to tie me over...£80. OUCH!

I'm pretty much stuffed if the insurance people come knocking haha. :P

Drilling a number of holes in the bottom of the airbox...the mod wasnt visible unless you opened the lid to change the filter and very tidy looking it was with the holes drilled uniformly and neat and tidy.Cutting the whole side out of the box...if I did this to my sport I wouldnt sleep at night...

I have made my own induction kit up to, but i dont have an airbox at all now, i cut the top section up and used the pipe running through it an bunged a filter onit.

No difference to a pipercross set up.

Well done for being brave to do this.

Drilling a number of holes in the bottom of the airbox...the mod wasnt visible unless you opened the lid to change the filter and very tidy looking it was with the holes drilled uniformly and neat and tidy.Cutting the whole side out of the box...if I did this to my sport I wouldnt sleep at night...

i was thinking about doing this, but is it still not very restrictive?

I think drilling holes would be just as good, and probably look a lot tidier.

I considered this but decided against it as it would take much longer than cutting one big hole and by drilling holes it would be difficult to revert to standard at a later point as drilling is removing material.

NB: In Denmark you don't need to inform the insurance company of mods like this.

The one thing i like is if i want to sell my car i can return it to it's original spec without too much hassle.....

If you're keeping the standard airbox the best thing you can do for it is to replace the standard snorkel which feeds air from behind the headlight....

Chay routed a new air feed from the front grille to the standard airbox and added a new panel filter..... gives much the same gains as you've described without hacking pieces of the airbox off.....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links