Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shudder-Speed Related

the dj

Hi all

I have a 2003 (53) avensis 2.0 t4 d4d. I am getting a shudder/vibration when driving at 55-65 mph. It only hapens when the car has warmed up. When cold i can feel it a little but when warm it is more apprant. I can drive thru the speed and it stops. Also if i release the gas it also stops. It feels similar to wheel balancing problem although there is no vibration in the steering wheel and seems to be coming from below.

I have read the following post: http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=109410

and it seems there are a number of possibilities. However after a garage inspection even though they cannot see any play, after driving it the mechanic said it is definitely a driveshaft problem as he has felt it so many times before.

Recently the car has had new tyres all round and new discs yet we have been able to rule these out. the only other thing that has occured recently is a cambelt replace and full service. Now if my mind serves correct it may have had a slight judder previous to this and initially after the cambelt change i took it on a long run (90 miles) and it was fine. Only a few days later it started to occur.

Now there was a problem with fuel sensor circuit A going faulty after cambelt change but the garage changed that the other day and that has removed the MIL. Obviously I was hoping that may have been the problem!

So now do I buy the driveshaft(s) and get them fitted in the hope it is that? or do I get more advice as the topic post above seems to suggest other areas such as flywheel??? Also when I colected the fuel senso part from toyota dealer I did ask there and mechanic said oh yes common problem..it's the flywheel!!

Now please remember it is speed related and only when warmed up, plus I dont have any problems with clutch or gears.

Any help would be appreciated.

Oh the only other recent change was a starter motor a few weeks previous but that seems fine.

Hi it sounds as though u hav the same problems I had. I got both driveshafts reconditioned. My avensis is the same age. I've done 120k how many miles have you done?

Darren

175k!!! So not bad for mileage. I was just concerned tje garage could not find any visible driveshaft problems yet upon driving were certain of fault. Also the other post i included the link for mentioned everything but driveshafts. Also a toyota at dealer mechanic suggested flywheel yet i have no probs with clutch or gears.

The machanic who did mine also couldnt find any visual faults. He wasent quite sure wot was wrong. I had two tyres a bearing and a second hand hub before we got to the driveshafts. My shudder was exaggerated when I towed a caravan if that helps. I would double check everything else first though cause driveshafts aren't cheap. Try towing something if u can.

Darren

The machanic who did mine also couldnt find any visual faults. He wasent quite sure wot was wrong. I had two tyres a bearing and a second hand hub before we got to the driveshafts. My shudder was exaggerated when I towed a caravan if that helps. I would double check everything else first though cause driveshafts aren't cheap. Try towing something if u can.

Darren

Thanks darren I will see if i can try that as have a towbar attached. However the mechanic says from experience it is driveshaft as has had it before where he couldnt see any visual evidence. Out of curiosity did yours also make any noises as mine does not, just the juddering at those mentioned speeds. Was yours speed related btw?

Finally as the recon takes a week I cannot really afford to be without the car that long so am hoping to find rcond or new (if price right) that he can just swap so if anyone knows where I can get quick delivery that would be useful.

Thans again

Wayne

Hi mine didn't make any noises but was speed related. It happened between 45 and 60 mph. Gud luck with a second hand one, I could find any and couldn't afford new, that's why I got them reconed. I'm lucky though my wife has her own car and work usually borrow me a van if I need one. The company that reconed my are in team valley, dunno wot they r called, if your near by I wouldnt recommend them. I had a lot of problems.

Darren

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links