Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost For Programming A New Key

webleymk3

I got a new key from the dealer I got my Rav from, however it is not programmed. he simply told me to take to my local dealer who would do it for me.

Western Toyota in Edinburgh quoted me £42 for the privilege because "it takes half an hours labour"..

Spoke to the boy I got the car from (in Northern Ireland so can't just go back) and he said it is a 5-10 minute job and would usually do it for free!!!

So... pretty ****** off here at my local garage.. Firstly, anyone got experience of this and how long it really takes and secondly, anyone here in Scotland able to do this???

Cheers,

Webblers.

I got a new key from the dealer I got my Rav from, however it is not programmed. he simply told me to take to my local dealer who would do it for me.

Western Toyota in Edinburgh quoted me £42 for the privilege because "it takes half an hours labour"..

Spoke to the boy I got the car from (in Northern Ireland so can't just go back) and he said it is a 5-10 minute job and would usually do it for free!!!

So... pretty ****** off here at my local garage.. Firstly, anyone got experience of this and how long it really takes and secondly, anyone here in Scotland able to do this???

Cheers,

Webblers.

Does seem expensive for hooking up a laptop and running some software but I bought a second key for my Daughter's Yaris from Toyota dealer and total cost was circa £70.

To be fair, the programming can be done quite quickly but, in my case, the ecu was having a hissey fit and would not speak nicely to the programming computer. Technician spent biggest part of an hour getting it done. Got quite frustrated [i know because I watched him] and the workshop manager checked what he was doing too.

No doubt someone will tell us how to do it with the aid of a bent pin and an AA Battery but in the meantime I guess we are hostages to MR T :unsure:

I recently had the same problem with my Supra however the guy (at Timpsons) flatly refused to cut me a key saying that it would not work as It had to be programmed, I asked him to humour me and just cut it so I could at least gain entry to my car should I lose my original, he eventually agreed but said there would be no refund. I agreed but the key works fine starts the car no probs (obviously no transponder in the Supra). Ive heard Keyfast are ment to be quite good they will even come out to you, if you use them let me know how you get on. hope this helps http://keyfastuk.co.uk/#

How much did the key cost without programming?

I got it FOC as one of the ones they gave me was broken.

Will try keyfast a see how much they charge.

I recently had the same problem with my Supra however the guy (at Timpsons) flatly refused to cut me a key saying that it would not work as It had to be programmed, I asked him to humour me and just cut it so I could at least gain entry to my car should I lose my original, he eventually agreed but said there would be no refund. I agreed but the key works fine starts the car no probs (obviously no transponder in the Supra). Ive heard Keyfast are ment to be quite good they will even come out to you, if you use them let me know how you get on. hope this helps http://keyfastuk.co.uk/#

I was told by a Timpsons in Lancashire that they could do the transponder keys, but would need to order it in. Cost would he thought be around £50 for the key and it being programmed. Slightly less than a dealers price :rolleyes: as it's only half.

So who fancies trying them?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links