Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

D4D Diesel Diagnosnic

john lever

Can Anybody help.

I have a 2007 2.2D4D Verso, which has covered 74,000 miles. I bought it with 3,000 miles on the clock and it has run fine until recently.

About 3 months ago the engine started to have a mechanical knocking at around 1500 rpm, when cold, just like a stuck tappet. When warm, the noise disappeared. I put some hydraulic tappet treatment in the oil at 67,000 miles, but it made no difference.

I then had a service at 70,000 miles and no fault was found. Now the noise appears to have changed - it is nowhere near as clattery (sounds like pinking) but now appears at all revs and can be detected when warm. Furthermore, on occasions the engine has failed to start immediately and has (half) run with the starter still engaged for about 5 seconds. I now suspect the diesel injectors.

Before resorting to expensive injector repairs I thought I might try a diesel injector treatment. I am a bit reluctant because the engine is running fine on a long journey and is still economical.

Has anybody any experience with these treatments and can it do any harm to a common rail diesel?

Hmm... you could try running a few tanks of V-Power diesel through it, or some Redex diesel injector cleaner to see if that helps...

Also, has it been getting regular oil changes?

Hmm... you could try running a few tanks of V-Power diesel through it, or some Redex diesel injector cleaner to see if that helps...

Also, has it been getting regular oil changes?

Yes, every 10,000 miles on the dot. I'll buy some Redex - not expensive and I can't see it doing any harm. Also next fill will be V-Power.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unbelievable - but Redex cured the problem completely - now running as sweet as a nut

Thanks

Better still is a bottle of Forte diesel treatment in the fuel tank.Or even better still some BG244 fuel treatment... V-power Diesel has twice the additive package as Shell's normal Derv. :toast:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links