Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idiotic Avensis Relocking Feature!

Avensis2.0td

Hi i have a year 2000 Avensis, the central locking is the most idiotic thing i have ever encountered. if i unlock the car and do not put the key straight in the ignition it relocks. what reason would this ever be useful?? twice i have been in a hurry and unlocked the car put the keys on the seat shut the door to go to the boot and locked the keys in, people dont always unlock th car get straight in and drive away!. what if putting a child in the car seat then go to the boot, clunk, the child is locked in the car?

is there a way to disconnect this idiotic pointless feature???

does seem strange mine only relocks if no doors are opened within a short period but as i have keyless ignition and the keys are generally kept in my pocket it is not such an issue but i have left them on seat whilst radio is on.

i would think toyota service centre could re-program this feature, quick call to them should elicit an answer.

Does the "doors open sign" on your dash illuminate as you open the drivers door?

If not, the door switch may be faulty, and the car does not realize that you have entered,

thus re-locking the doors after 45 seconds.

Hi i have a year 2000 Avensis, the central locking is the most idiotic thing i have ever encountered. if i unlock the car and do not put the key straight in the ignition it relocks. what reason would this ever be useful?? twice i have been in a hurry and unlocked the car put the keys on the seat shut the door to go to the boot and locked the keys in, people dont always unlock th car get straight in and drive away!. what if putting a child in the car seat then go to the boot, clunk, the child is locked in the car?

is there a way to disconnect this idiotic pointless feature???

When I had my '52 Avensis, the re-locking only occurred if a door (including the tailgate), wasn't opened within 30 seconds (as stated in the handbook if I remember), so I agree with the earlier post that the driver's door switch may be faulty, I'd test it by opening another door to see if this cancels the auto re-lock.

The open door light does go on and ive tried it with all doors even the boot. just taking too long to put the shopping in the boot or looking for something in the car something simple like that you have to be ready with the key to press unlock again or the alarm will go off because its relocked then senses a door is open. the second time now ive locked the keys in is enough. if i wanted the car to lock id lock it. such a stupid thing. i want to do away with the alarm aswell because the cold weather last year was setting it off. id like to keep the central locking but get rid of this stupid relock.

Hi,

I suggest you go to a Toyota dealer monday morning.

They can turn it off with their Toyota tester device and cut the alarm if you wish.

There is a phylosophy behind this auto re-lock feature though, but I'm not allowed to tell. ;)

The open door light does go on and ive tried it with all doors even the boot. just taking too long to put the shopping in the boot or looking for something in the car something simple like that you have to be ready with the key to press unlock again or the alarm will go off because its relocked then senses a door is open. the second time now ive locked the keys in is enough. if i wanted the car to lock id lock it. such a stupid thing. i want to do away with the alarm aswell because the cold weather last year was setting it off. id like to keep the central locking but get rid of this stupid relock.

Can't you just use the key to lock the car, surely this would leave the alarm and autolocking off!

Pete.

Don't leave your keys in the car. No seriously, I always assume the !Removed! thing will do something daft so make sure I have the key on me (watch the post to say I locked myself in). My 2000 had a problem with the tail gate light that I tracked to a couple of severed wires in the boot lid shoe. I made a repair but due to a lack of space decided I did not need the boot light. So it does not come on. If I unlock it and put the keys in the boot then about ten seconds later the whole car relocks. Don't leave your keys in a car EVER is the rule I go by, unless I've wound the window down that is.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links