Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Acceleration

theWizard

I get a tinkling or tiney noise on acceleration up to about 2300rpm on my 98 18st. Before reaching 2300 if i stop accelerating or just ease off a little, it goes away!

Anyone got an idea what it my be?

Sounds like it's pinking. Try using a higher octane fuel (like optimax) Its caused when the mixture is ignited too soon and the explosion tries to push the piston back down its bore. Other than that you could try an ECU reset or have your ignition timing checked.

Could be fuel pump! Mine makes a whining noise, a bit like a turbo spinning up, til it changes up a gear then it goes away.

i had a problem on one of my cars it turned out to be the cat rattling the ceramic in the cat came lose, at certain revs it would vanish. worth while putting it on a ramp and hitting the cat with the palm of your hand and listen for a rattle.

Had the car in with Toyota to tune.

First he said i have wrong plugs in car, should have platinum plugs in, (funny, the ones that were in they gave to me), but on further checks they were the right ones.

He then set the plugs to 35thou, he said thet were out slightly. I thought they should be set from new, am i wrong?

He also set the timing correct, if it was out i dont know!

So now driving it the car feels better at low end and less kangarooing.

I still hear it pinking but only half as much.

All the checks cost me 23.50, should it cost more for a full tune-up- would i have other problems causing it to still pink?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links