Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Considering A 4.2 - What Should I Be Aware Of?

bluevortex

I love my T180 but so does Mrs Blue, the space, high driving position and feeling of security often leave us arguing who takes it in the morning, mean while a Golf GT sits on the drive way useless on anything other than black roads...

So flicking through autotrader last night I was looking to see what I could buy for about £6k and noted a number of nice 4.2's around about 2002-2004 age and I am seriously considering a part ex? Thoughts?

I would prefer a diesel, maybe an XT3/4. I know nothing about 4.2's apart from the DMF issue (which is potentially a deal breaker due to cost of replacement) any thoughts on this? I know alot of people on here run 4.2's many prefering this model to the newer shape 4.3, just looking for some opinions before I take this further...

Cheers

Blue

I guess the list of complaints (apart from DMF and based on ownership plus this forum) are:

1. sticky/faulty SCVs. Can change yourself

2. The howling noise (fuel filter head?). Mine did it sometimes, but never bothered me much

3. They can suffer from squealing belts. Yes, did it sometimes. Obviously belt can be changed

4. There's been the odd allegedly turbo problem(?).

and I never had a DMF problem or any other major mechanical problem in 5 years. Some do, some don't.

...trying to think what else. I'm sure others will add to the list.

I forget who it was (sorry!) that summed it up on here for me, but they said the 4.2 was somehow more "chuckable" and I agree. The 4.2 doesn't feel such a heavy vehicle, although I'm not knocking the 4.3s handling.

Possibly the 4.2 is slightly more twitchy on ice, but the one year we got pack ice down here on major routes (snow came at rush(?) hour, so gritters go stuck), I got a tiny bit of movement from the rear of the vehicle, in the same place where others were going 180 degrees (no exaggeration).

The 4.2 diesel is not as smooth as the 4.3, in my opinion, but not bad. On the haul up to Scotland the economy was as good as my first 4.3.

If if were possible, my ideal would be a 4.2 with the power/smoothness of a 4.3

As it is Bothy's birthday, what about a petrol? The first 4.2 I ever drove was a 3 door 4.2 and I have to admit it was loads of fun. Needed the 5 door at the time though and the petrol economy wasn't attractive.

My 2p worth. :thumbsup:

Thanks Shcm. Do you know the mpg difference is between a petrol and a diesel? I did a number of years ago drive an automatic 4.2, but did not like the gearbox and it put me off tbh. But then I am not a fan of a auto anyway... I found a 2.0 D-4D XT4 5 DR Black, 77000 miles, 2005/54 for £74000. Perhaps a wee bit more than first thought but it has the look of the vehicle I want (guards, side steps and so on..) listen to me talking myself into this already :!Removed!:

Blue

I run a 52 plate 3 door 2 ltr nrg.On my usual daily jog along the a14 and m6 from kettering to Coventry i return 34mpg summer and about 31/32 winter.I've only really dropped below 30 mpg running at around 80 mph on autoroutes with a Roof Rack, got it down to about 27 on that. Reliability wise, it's fairly bomb proof,only had the exhaust split in 2 at about 123k, other than that it's just consummables.

Tried the later 5 door rav , liked it, but didn't come in 3 door. Partnered her up with an iq3 now for the commute, and use the rav at the weekend. hope this of use.

Thanks Shcm. Do you know the mpg difference is between a petrol and a diesel? I did a number of years ago drive an automatic 4.2, but did not like the gearbox and it put me off tbh. But then I am not a fan of a auto anyway... I found a 2.0 D-4D XT4 5 DR Black, 77000 miles, 2005/54 for £74000. Perhaps a wee bit more than first thought but it has the look of the vehicle I want (guards, side steps and so on..) listen to me talking myself into this already :shutit:

Blue

As they say in Australasialand, strewth Blue....74 GRAND for a Rav !!! Has it been finished in gold leaf or sumfin'? :lol:

Look also on e-bay....been some nice ones recently, mostly in Englandshire.

Big Kev. :thumbsup:

Hi Bluevortex,

We've had an 02 VVTi VX auto from new. Now has 59K miles up. It has stayed in the family whilst various BMW's, Rav D4D's & Land Cruisers have come & gone.

- It's crap on fuel consumption (overall average about 25 mpg)

- But has the best autobox I've ever driven.

- Snapped the fanbelt last month and is booked in for a new cat on Thursday (P0420 & P0430 codes from ECU) but nice Mr. WarrantyDirect is paying.

- Other than these though it's only had the usual MIL lights and subsequent sensor replacements variously over the years - all covered under warranty.

- Still has original FB Battery, which I find quite amazing and it still starts even in these recent -10 deg mornings.

- Currently on second set of BS Duellers from new - can't complain about the wear - these probably have another 15K miles on them.

Has the Toyota sidesteps fitted which are essential for keeping muck off the lower bodywork when trailing to the stables.

Can't praise it highly enough (touching wood furiously at this point)although one or two of Mr.T's dealers have done their best to switch my allegiance to Honda. Otherwise though I struggle to think what we'll replace it with when the time comes.

Good luck with your search,

Firemac

P.S. Re black paint, I had a 55 plate 4.2 D4D Granite which looked the biz. But I also had a black LC4 which was an absolute b4st4rd to keep clean - even in summer. The problem with the LC seemed to be that it had Supagard paint (& interior) protection whilst the RAV didn't. Could have been some other reason although I struggled to think what as they were both Astral Black and the only diff between them was the Supagard.

Hi blue

Right.....A 4.2 :thumbsup:

Well,in just over 6 years of ownership,and now covered 95'000 miles ( 70'000 of them mine)

2 sets of yohahama geolander A/T tyres.

2 new batteries,both over rated and biggest i could fit on tray (just to be sure).

35mpg average,almost all the time.

2 sets of brake's all round

New DMF and new clutch fitted in june ( but expected it,so saved for it ( cheaper than another vehicle))

So far...been the best vehicle ive ever owned,( i used to change cars every 3 years without fail)

It has for me the best balance of 4x4,size, value for money...reliability..so far.

Very reluctant to sell it (would like a land cruiser though)..but just too expensive

The DMF is by far the worst problem,fuel filter phenomenom..live with it,clicky clacky brakes....spacers needed & copper grease

Mine is often taken off road 'Green Laneing' so gets dirty a fair bit :thumbsup:

I've got the diesel XTR -the cruise is a nice toy that I think only the XT5 has. The SCVs went at 53K but were covered by the extended warranty. Got about 27K out of Toyos -have switched to Michelin Latitude Tour HPs. Need a detachable for towing and having a side opening tailgate rather than one that lifts up is a real pain. Great to drive.

It is a toy to replace the volky then a 3 door is the best looker IMHO.

Thanks chaps... some interesting comments so far. Not rushing into anything, will have a think over christmas and see what cars turn up for sale . Anch I prefer a 5 door, kids, dogs, golf clubs etc. BK - A typo on my part ha ha

Blue

A big problem with the 3 door is back seat space. Only realised a couple of weeks ago when the missus dropped me and a few mates off, the rear arches come right into the seating area on the 3 door, no way can you fit 3 adults in the back. On my 5 door I have no problem. Mine is the late 2003 model that has had the uprated DMF parts fitted from new so no issues there, but I did prefer the later alloys that I had fitted after I bought the car, Oh and the misses had some as well :thumbsup:

I had never owned any car for more than a year before I bought this car, she's now been with me for 3 and a half years and apart from oil and filter changes it has only had brake pads and tyres. Oh and mr T paid for a new water pump which had a small weep and I had new belts including cambelt at the same time as the pump was off, and a new sunroof thanks to Mr T again that also had a small weep, oh and a new stereo that decided not to play CDs after I had it a week. Very had to decide what if anything to change it for.

Thanks Shcm. Do you know the mpg difference is between a petrol and a diesel? I did a number of years ago drive an automatic 4.2, but did not like the gearbox and it put me off tbh. But then I am not a fan of a auto anyway... I found a 2.0 D-4D XT4 5 DR Black, 77000 miles, 2005/54 for £74000. Perhaps a wee bit more than first thought but it has the look of the vehicle I want (guards, side steps and so on..) listen to me talking myself into this already :!Removed!:

Blue

If you could push the boat out a bit more, you could have a wee trip to Newtonmore to see this:ebay

His'n'hers T180s!?

I guess the list of complaints (apart from DMF and based on ownership plus this forum) are:

1. sticky/faulty SCVs. Can change yourself

2. The howling noise (fuel filter head?). Mine did it sometimes, but never bothered me much

3. They can suffer from squealing belts. Yes, did it sometimes. Obviously belt can be changed

4. There's been the odd allegedly turbo problem(?).

and I never had a DMF problem or any other major mechanical problem in 5 years. Some do, some don't.

...trying to think what else. I'm sure others will add to the list.

I forget who it was (sorry!) that summed it up on here for me, but they said the 4.2 was somehow more "chuckable" and I agree. The 4.2 doesn't feel such a heavy vehicle, although I'm not knocking the 4.3s handling.

Possibly the 4.2 is slightly more twitchy on ice, but the one year we got pack ice down here on major routes (snow came at rush(?) hour, so gritters go stuck), I got a tiny bit of movement from the rear of the vehicle, in the same place where others were going 180 degrees (no exaggeration).

The 4.2 diesel is not as smooth as the 4.3, in my opinion, but not bad. On the haul up to Scotland the economy was as good as my first 4.3.

If if were possible, my ideal would be a 4.2 with the power/smoothness of a 4.3

As it is Bothy's birthday, what about a petrol? The first 4.2 I ever drove was a 3 door 4.2 and I have to admit it was loads of fun. Needed the 5 door at the time though and the petrol economy wasn't attractive.

My 2p worth. :thumbsup:

wot a kind thought !!

Blue

If you could push the boat out a bit more, you could have a wee trip to Newtonmore to see this:ebay

His'n'hers T180s!?

One vehicle with the bloomin' RFT's is enough to cope with just now :D I always liked the 4.2 asthetics, came close to purchasing one back in 2004 but was just a tad pricy for me at the time. I would go after a black D4D XT4, 5 door with steps and guard! That scoop in the bonnet is well nice. The only thing holding me back is the DMF issue and reduced fuel economy compared to my 2.0Tdi Golf which returns 50+mpg and low tax band

Blue

Blue

His'n'hers T180s!?

One vehicle with the bloomin' RFT's is enough to cope with just now :D I always liked the 4.2 asthetics, came close to purchasing one back in 2004 but was just a tad pricy for me at the time. I would go after a black D4D XT4, 5 door with steps and guard! That scoop in the bonnet is well nice. The only thing holding me back is the DMF issue and reduced fuel economy compared to my 2.0Tdi Golf which returns 50+mpg and low tax band

Blue

He's taken the run flats off.

I like the red the best. Shame they don't even offer it now.

Black, white, grey, silver - everywhere you look, colour options are being reduced. Whose idea was it to offer only dreich colours?

Whose idea was it to offer only dreich colours?

Henry Ford?

Henry Ford?

Never been proven: Henry Ford

Must have been the Mick Jagger. Going around painting everything black.

A cracking little motor that is actually built on 4.2 running gear is the Daihatsu Terios. They come cheap and have a conventional lockable 3rd diff and a really useful heated front screen. The spare wheel lives on the back door too!!!

http://www.daihatsu.co.uk/terios/

They must have a very successful dealership for The Terios on Cyprus....saw literally dozens of them.

As for the 3 door petrol Rav.....this is obviously where Bothy is going when he departs this mortal high voltage induction unit that sits on top of a spark plug.....there are hundreds of Baby Ravs running about Cyprus, some really old in lovely nick.

I may be on later singing the praises of Funnerburd Too also, as it has behaved impeccably in this weather. (Cheers Anchs for shoe-horning in a full size Battery a few weeks back.....that daft wee motorcycle Battery would have deceasicated well by now)

Only mild criticism of BOTH Ravs is the contraction factor of the interior plastic trim.....both are rattling and squeaking in places where I never knew it had places. I look forward to reporting on their expansion factor(shcm....eat yer heart out, eh?) around August 2011.........

Big Kev :thumbsup:

BK - suggesting I might leave my RAVs for Cyprus?? :wacko: :wacko: The RAV only came out in 1994 = NOT "really old" - BEHAVE !

BK - suggesting I might leave my RAVs for Cyprus?? :wacko: :wacko: The RAV only came out in 1994 = NOT "really old" - BEHAVE !

Ageist rebuff recepticled and acceptualised....

Corrected Kev :unsure:

I look forward to reporting on their expansion factor(shcm....eat yer heart out, eh?) around August 2011.........

No expansion factor (ie waistline) over Chirstmas then? :unsure:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links