Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car Located....

carinfront

Hello folks,

Wanted to know some opinions on the following:

Looking to change from my 2004 T3X auto to a new shape 1.8 auto Avensis.

Sourced a couple from Mr T locally to me. Went along, took one out for a test drive and have to say I am very pleased indeed.

Particular car I am interested in is 2009 TR auto, 30,000 miles. Listed at £11980.

Thought I would offer £11000 (of course I would negotiate upwards to asking price!), with mine as p/x (they offered me £2500 for it - 90k miles, dinged bodywork)

Bearing in mind this car has been with them for at least 3 weeks now since I first noticed it, I thought they would be looking to get it out of their forecourts so I felt £11000 was a decent offer. They are not budging at all. They say that price is their "internet price" and if its going on sale on the forecourt, it would be going for around the £12500 area, which gives them room to move down towards the internet price!

I asked the salesman to check with his manager what he can do, and he came back and said thats the lowest he can go. I said I'd leave it for now, keep looking etc, and walked away.

I am pretty sure that its still going to be there in a week or twos time, what with Xmas etc. Might go back again later and see what they say then. Then again, I'm also tempted by a new Vaux Insignia CDTi, same price, age,mileage. Also offered by same Toyota dealer!

Any thoughts? Opinions? Advice?!

Cheers

Hello folks,

Wanted to know some opinions on the following:

Looking to change from my 2004 T3X auto to a new shape 1.8 auto Avensis.

Sourced a couple from Mr T locally to me. Went along, took one out for a test drive and have to say I am very pleased indeed.

Particular car I am interested in is 2009 TR auto, 30,000 miles. Listed at £11980.

Thought I would offer £11000 (of course I would negotiate upwards to asking price!), with mine as p/x (they offered me £2500 for it - 90k miles, dinged bodywork)

Bearing in mind this car has been with them for at least 3 weeks now since I first noticed it, I thought they would be looking to get it out of their forecourts so I felt £11000 was a decent offer. They are not budging at all. They say that price is their "internet price" and if its going on sale on the forecourt, it would be going for around the £12500 area, which gives them room to move down towards the internet price!

I asked the salesman to check with his manager what he can do, and he came back and said thats the lowest he can go. I said I'd leave it for now, keep looking etc, and walked away.

I am pretty sure that its still going to be there in a week or twos time, what with Xmas etc. Might go back again later and see what they say then. Then again, I'm also tempted by a new Vaux Insignia CDTi, same price, age,mileage. Also offered by same Toyota dealer!

Any thoughts? Opinions? Advice?!

Cheers

Hi mate, you would pay a lot more at my local Toyota dealers in Cheshire.:yes:

A friend who drives and delivers cars all over the UK says the Avensis is an all round better car than the Vauxhall but that's just his opinion, I have not driven one to comment personally.

Regards Pete.

.....stand by yer guns, mucker....and by yer phone....they will be in touch to accept your offer, or very close thereto before the guy with the red suit and the wellies drops doon yer chimbley, mark my words.

I take it they DO have your phone number(s)?

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Did you leave them you name and phone no.? If so I'd say keep away from the place for a few days to see if they have second thoughts on your offer and perhaps give you a call. Price doesn't seem too excessive, but 30K miles is quite high for the year.

It may depend how keen they are to turn some stock over, in the new year they'll probably have a lot of trade-ins arriving and might like to free up some space on the forecourt. Your old car would be passed to auction or direct to a second hand dealer.

Maybe offer £9K plus your car and wave your cheque book under their noses to see if they bite?

They may well be selling that particular car for the lowest they can (or want to) but any salesman worth his salt would have taken your details and been trying to tempt you with some sort of deal. Any sort of deal at this time of year is worth having you might think BUT it depends on many factors. Go back in a week and negotiate with a different salesman, that bunkum about internet prices/forecourt is nonesense, isnt the car on the forecourt now? If they wont budge on price, it will be for good reason, all dealers have a strict turnover on cars, if it's been there longer than 60 days watch the price drop! It's a buyers market, you just might not be buying for a week or two

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks one and all for your valuable input.

And yes they sure do have my details!

Like I said, thats been on their website for at least 3 weeks now, well, thats around the time when I noticed it, so it could have been more. I thought a total of £11000 was a sensible offer. Happy to wait it out a bit. After all I am in no rush to buy, happy to wait til January for sure, even February.

I did wonder whether £11980 for 30k miles was a reasonable asking price? the others they got with @ 16k on the clock are around the £13900 area. Its a tad over what I was looking to spend if I am honest. Could with a bit of soul searching up my limit a bit I suppose.....

Oh yes, forgot to mention, my current Avensis, and the one I had before that were both bought from this dealer. Of course those guys have gone now. I had noticed that the forecourt was not as "full" as it has been on previous drive-bys, but maybe they are gearing up for new stock?

Cheers

parkers shows £12500 for 09 plate tr, this is for the new shape as 2009 was the change over to new model, this is from a franchised dealer with a 10000mile per year average so adjust down slightly for higher mileage.

this sounds like a reasonable price for the car considering age and mileage so it may be they are trying to sell it as cheap as they can go.

i wish you luck in your negotiations but do bear in mind if you really like this car someone else may also feel the same.

might be worth upping youn offer very slightly or as others advise waiting for their phone call.

good luck.

Thanks one and all for your valuable input.

And yes they sure do have my details!

Like I said, thats been on their website for at least 3 weeks now, well, thats around the time when I noticed it, so it could have been more. I thought a total of £11000 was a sensible offer. Happy to wait it out a bit. After all I am in no rush to buy, happy to wait til January for sure, even February.

I did wonder whether £11980 for 30k miles was a reasonable asking price? the others they got with @ 16k on the clock are around the £13900 area. Its a tad over what I was looking to spend if I am honest. Could with a bit of soul searching up my limit a bit I suppose.....

Oh yes, forgot to mention, my current Avensis, and the one I had before that were both bought from this dealer. Of course those guys have gone now. I had noticed that the forecourt was not as "full" as it has been on previous drive-bys, but maybe they are gearing up for new stock?

Cheers

you could ring them and ask if they could contact you when they have a simuler model in stock.(cheaper).

you would be sure they had your number then.dont show to much interest in the one you tested,cos they maybe waitng for you to weaken.they are not going to shift much stock this time of the year.if you do decide to get the first one ask for ON THE ROAD at that price ie road taxed for the year/full tank/mats/etc.ring their necks.

I had noticed that the forecourt was not as "full" as it has been on previous drive-bys, but maybe they are gearing up for new stock?

Not quite. Depreciation from the dealers point of view is massive when the calander trips over from Dec 10 to Jan 11. If you have 500K of cars in stock and the depreciation is 5% you could be looking at a 25K write off at the stroke of a pen! That is why dealers have strict stocking policies, usually 60 or 90 days and then the car is gone, at whatever they can get for it. No point in holding on to stock that loses money on the books month after month, you might as well invest in stock that is going to turn over quickly and give you cash flow. Not many companies go bust because they cant make good profit, they go bust because of poor cash flow!

Just about every dealer will reduce their stocks, mainly to avoid the depreciation and secondly because sales are poor in December. Take a look at any forecourt and there will be less cars on display than say next February, they are hunkering down for the winter! ;)

parkers shows £12500 for 09 plate tr, this is for the new shape as 2009 was the change over to new model, this is from a franchised dealer with a 10000mile per year average so adjust down slightly for higher mileage.

this sounds like a reasonable price for the car considering age and mileage so it may be they are trying to sell it as cheap as they can go.

i wish you luck in your negotiations but do bear in mind if you really like this car someone else may also feel the same.

might be worth upping youn offer very slightly or as others advise waiting for their phone call.

good luck.

Oh yes I agree, I'vo got no issues with the price as such, and with the 30k on the clock I would expect it to be lower. Just think its weird to have this Forecourt price (of around 12500) and this "Internet Price" of 11980! Interestingly the dealer has 2 locations, both sales, about 5 miles apart. Might wander over to the other location and deal with different salesguy and see what happens. I am in no rush to buy, so I may just wait til Dec/Jan crossover period and see whats out there.

i have just got a 2009 tr myself, dealer would not shift on price but i got roof bars, front sensors, rear sensors, mudflaps and a protection pack thrown in with some haggleing.

If the dealership has two outlets only a few miles apart then it's quite likely that all 'deals' at both sites may all have to be nodded through by the same person (Sales Manager/Director?). i.e. you mightn't be able to play off one site against the other.

Just one thing to consider if waiting until 2011 and that is the VAT increase another £250 for every £10k you spend. This will make no difference to the dealer and they could still sell it at the pre increase price and claim they have a £250 discount on the new price.

e.g.

Dealer buys a car for £10k, they don't pay VAT

With no markup they would have to sell it with VAT at £11,750

From Jan 4 2011 they have to sell the same car for £12,000

They can still sell it for £11,750 and claim the price is reduced by £250 it has made no difference to their profit (which in this example is zero)

NOPE. It does not work like that. We buy a car in at 10K and can sell it for what we want without adding VAT (Business users are different), We dont sell it for 10K plus VAT. UNLESS the car is VAT qualifying, EG, bought from a business user. Our VAT liability is:

Buy for 10K

Sell it for 11K

Gross Profit is 1K

TAKE AWAY

Prep & Recon costs, service, warranty, management fees, etc etc lets say £500

Nett profit £500, of which we pay VAT on this element only

We only need to worry about VAT qualifying cars on the flip over from month to month

Again, thanks all for the input. I think I will just sit back a bit and watch the stock at both of the local dealer locations, and see what happens.

See the occasional new shape driving around and I do think to myself "WANT ONE!!" but must remain calm! Wait and see, wait and see...

:)

• 4 months later...

I have just replaced my Avensis 1.8 2007 T3-X auto with an early 2009 1.8 Auto (cvt). The finish / spec is not as good (even less on the 2010 model) as the old model. As for the quality it has also gone down. I've had it back to the dealer for for paint repair (rust on bottom of rear doors /sill. Apparently this is a known problem.If you look at the new Avensis some cars heve not been fitted with the clear plastic protectors on the door edges & sill. Even new cars in the showroom have not got them. This seems to prevent fine particles (grit/salt) from causing corrision. This does not say a lot for Quality control.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, thanks all for the input. I think I will just sit back a bit and watch the stock at both of the local dealer locations, and see what happens.

See the occasional new shape driving around and I do think to myself "WANT ONE!!" but must remain calm! Wait and see, wait and see...

:)

Did you get your car?

I personally do not totally like what they've done with the new shape and so have just purchased a 2009 TR auto, 26k last of the old (my prefered) shape for £9,999 Got £3700 from them for my Jan 2004 T3 auto 50K on the clock and so Im happy. Being of rapidly increasing years myself, and doing a very moderate yearly mileage, this one will, hopefully, see me thru!!

They are offering me 3 years warranty for £675. Is this worth taking up or should I decline.

is that 3 years on top of the original 3 year warranty (i.e will run out in 2015) or 3 years from when you bought it (runs out 2014)?

Toyota's own 2 year extension to the original 3 year warranty is £760 assuming that you do under 10k miles per year.

That £760 also includes 2 year membership of Club Toyota which includes AA recovery & at home - call that £120 value on it's own.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links