Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tuning Chips

osprey

Have you tried searching this section of the forum?? there are a good few comments on several chips altho the consensus seems to be Parts-King supplies the best.

With my big saving on new tyres this weekend, I am tempted to go for one of Parts King's tuning kits for the XT5.

Have seen plenty of threads on them, was trying to find a review on the cars driveability / performance from someone who had installed it on a 2.2 D4D (136bhp) engine - local hero I believe?

With my big saving on new tyres this weekend, I am tempted to go for one of Parts King's tuning kits for the XT5.

Have seen plenty of threads on them, was trying to find a review on the cars driveability / performance from someone who had installed it on a 2.2 D4D (136bhp) engine - local hero I believe?

Local Hero has one on a 136hp and Big Kev has one on his SR180 - doubtless they will give you the benefit of their experiences when they look in but in the meantime here's a thread to be going on with [just ignore the diversions into K&N territory]LINK :thumbsup:

ye wanna performance ???

nothing beats a 4.1 RAV !!!! :toast: :toast: :toast:

ye wanna performance ???

Comparing the new XT5 with the wee Giant, must admit, still love the "nimbleness" of the 4.1!

ye wanna performance ???

Comparing the new XT5 with the wee Giant, must admit, still love the "nimbleness" of the 4.1!

Oh, Bothy's 4.1 is certainly nimble.....................

do any of these diesel tuning chips actualy work?

anybody tried one?

Not got time for a full reply at the moment, but yes they do work (faultlessly) and if you do a search I have answered loads of questions on these, However i will be in about 8ish tonight if you need anything specific answered :thumbsup: Stew

I have had my "Kingo" supplied + fitted tuning chip on for 3+yrs and 17000 miles It has been faultless and still puts a smile on my face, if you think it will turn your Rav into a Porsche then you will be dissapointed, what it does do is take your 136 bhp to more or less 165 bhp, you will feel the extra 30bhp in overtaking + accelerating on to a motorway + although the std ravs peak torque is supposedly 2,800 rpm mine seems to be still pulling strongly at 4000rpm, IMO it makes the car more flexible + easier to drive, When you first get one you tend to try out the extra "GO" and so your fuel consumption will not be any better, once you have got that out of your system you will find that you can cruise along with your foot hardly on the throttle + even in a higher gear than before + you may notice a small improvement in economy, there are IMO lots of plusses for the "Chipped" rav and i have 2 very minor niggles, Firstly, after fitting, my mpg fig on the OBC increased from about 40-45 mpg (pre chip) to 50+ mpg afterwards however on a brim to brim check it was still doing about 41mpg, we all know the obc reads high, but i believe the "chip" somehow exagerates this..Second very minor niggle a bit more smoke on fierce acceleration, but mine with "chip" fitted has recently sailed through MOT without any problem, My insurance premium was an extra £50, however 2 guys on the Auris section say that their insurance wanted no extra premium beware some companies will NOT cover tuned cars,, All in all i am very happy with my "chipped" rav + would very much reccomend it, One word of advice stay well clear of the £99 versions available on flea-bay, hope this answers most questions :thumbsup: Stew

Ah, that does answer one of my "daily driving" questions.

I wasnt sure if the kit simply increased the torque over all or if it lengthened the amount of time that the torque is available. Going by what you said about still pulling strongly at 4000rpm it looks like both. Big plus!

Ive got my Impreza remapped after fitting bigger turbo, fuel pumps etc. but that was a custom fuelling map put onto original ECU which is slightly different to the tuning kit. On a previous search on "tuning kits", it was mentioned that the kit keeps the injectors open longer, which is what led to my query about the torque, ie. more or available for longer?

I had my Merc superchipped. Cost about £330. Gives about 35 HP extra and more importantly about 100 lb/ft torque extra.

It is noticeably more rapid, especially great for overtaking!

On a motorway run I reckon i'm getting 5mpg better.

However, with hindsight I probably wouldn't bother again. The trouble is the torque increase breaks traction far too easily now.

Even on a bone dry sunny road if I boot it from the lights i'll get wheelspin and the traction control will take over :-(

Yeh, thats ok, ive got the Impreza for all the thrill ride experience.

The figures for the tuning kit for the Rav just give a little more driveability - which would be ideal.

My husband has recently had his Mercedes C220 CDI remapped for £200 and is really pleased with the result - much smoother, more responsive and +7mpg fuel economy. Not a bad result! The people who did his don't do the RAV4, though. Does anyone know if the RAV4 can be remapped?

I seem to recall reading that the Rav4 ECU cannot be remapped itself, its more of a kit thats required.

One of the experts will be along shortly to confirm.

Stew / local hero,

Where about is the tuning unit fitted on yours and did you have negative cable to Battery wired through a switch to turn the unit on and off or is it always on?

Stew / local hero,

Where about is the tuning unit fitted on yours and did you have negative cable to battery wired through a switch to turn the unit on and off or is it always on?

You can fit it anywhere mines just near to the engine management unit i will do a photo when i have time, mines wired permanantly but Kingo says he has had customers asking for a switch, though TBH i cannot think why you would turn it off and in any case theres an online fuse in the power supply which you can pull out in 2secs, remember mines 3yr old so may be different now might be best if you PM Kingo :thumbsup: Stew

You can fit a switch to turn them on and off but to be honest I don't recommend it, when people start faffing around switching it on and off, they do so on the road, trying to see what difference it makes to the MPG. It then confuses the ECU and can bring on the engine warning lights. If you DO fit a switch, then switch it on / off with the ignition OFF

Kingo :thumbsup:

It was just when the boss, sorry, missus has the car I can switch it off. If there is a fuse I can remove, thats fine.

Yes you can fit a switch, but people tend to twiddle with things :lol: either a switch or lift the bonnet and unplug the unit

Kingo :thumbsup:

All going well, should be placing an order for mine on Monday.

Got K&N panel filter fitted tonight, good fit, love hearing the sounds of the turbo spooling up and down.

Realise it will hardly make any difference to a diesel but thought (to me) it made sense to fit one if fitting tuning kit too.

The OEM air filter reminded me of an upside down freshly baked bun, definitely thickest filter ive seen so far.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links