Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fuel Consumption On 1.4 D-4D

zetor

I have just done over 62,000 in my 1.4D-4D (MMT) and normally check the trip for average fuel consumption which tells me I'm doing around 43/45mpg around town which includes a couple of steep hills so I was a bit disappointed when I made a proper calculation and it gave me a figure of only 37mpg, is the trip normally that far out? I have read about the Erg valve on the Auris forums and cleaning it can help, does my Corolla have one of these and would it be worth cleaning it?

hello, your mpg should never go near the 30's, no matter how hard you drive it or how long you leave it idle even.

there are a list of things to check and ask first.

how often do you service it?

do you get the fuel filter changed aswell?

how many miles do you do in a week?

what in the weather like in your country and when did you take these records? summer/winter?

how do you drive the car? slow/average/hard?

how do you find the car to be driving? perfect/sluggish?

yes the egr can be cleaned out and there is a 'how to' posted up here to help you, buy another way it get it half clean (and iam not condoning it nor advising) but is the drive in 4th gear at 4k rpm on a clear motorway for 1 mile as this will force the carbon out of the egr valve.

my mpg has dropped from 53 to 45 in the weather in ireland, we have -8 at the minute, i have the same engine as you by the way :thumbsup:

hello, your mpg should never go near the 30's, no matter how hard you drive it or how long you leave it idle even.

there are a list of things to check and ask first.

how often do you service it?

do you get the fuel filter changed aswell?

how many miles do you do in a week?

what in the weather like in your country and when did you take these records? summer/winter?

how do you drive the car? slow/average/hard?

how do you find the car to be driving? perfect/sluggish?

yes the egr can be cleaned out and there is a 'how to' posted up here to help you, buy another way it get it half clean (and iam not condoning it nor advising) but is the drive in 4th gear at 4k rpm on a clear motorway for 1 mile as this will force the carbon out of the egr valve.

my mpg has dropped from 53 to 45 in the weather in ireland, we have -8 at the minute, i have the same engine as you by the way :thumbsup:

Well I have just figured out my poor fuel consumption, it isn't as bad as I thought:) I was going by the Fuelly conversion which had given me the figure in US Gallons so when I converted to Imperial gallons I get 45mpg which is about what the trip was showing, it has been below zero all week so I think that figure is quite good, the car has always had a regular service at the local Toyota garage, if the weather improves I may take a look at the EGR valve in the meantime I can try your suggestion of forcing it out with a drive up the motorway, thing is I am selling it in Feb so don't want to do too much to it.

i was thinking that alright, when i seen 6.3liters per 100km i did the sums but didnt wana say anything incase......

also i thought you were getting a new car with the 'auris feb 2011' alright ;)

dont do a thing to it so, i cleaned my egr valve and broke it in the process and it cost me €350 to get a new 1 :blink:

it aint worth the hassle as it will be going in 2 months

45 mpg isnt too bad in this weather.

best of luck with the new car :thumbsup:

i was thinking that alright, when i seen 6.3liters per 100km i did the sums but didnt wana say anything incase......

also i thought you were getting a new car with the 'auris feb 2011' alright ;)

dont do a thing to it so, i cleaned my egr valve and broke it in the process and it cost me €350 to get a new 1 :blink:

it aint worth the hassle as it will be going in 2 months

45 mpg isnt too bad in this weather.

best of luck with the new car :thumbsup:

Yes good advice I'll leave the ERG valve and look forward to the Auris HSD:)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links