Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cant Change Gear When Revs Are Over 2500

comeradealexi

The title says it all really, if my revs are over 2500 i cannot change into any gear at all. Its like there is something blocking me from putting it into second. I usually have to wait for the revs to get below 2500 before i can put it in gear, its the same for any gears, upshifting or downshifting.

Its a toyota Aygo Sport 2006 reg.

Any help would be greatly appreciated becauseits very annoying!

The title says it all really, if my revs are over 2500 i cannot change into any gear at all. Its like there is something blocking me from putting it into second. I usually have to wait for the revs to get below 2500 before i can put it in gear, its the same for any gears, upshifting or downshifting.

when you change gear you take your foot off the accelerator and dip the clutch.so taking your foot off should cause the revs to drop, if you have a rev counter you should see the revs drop back.if your throttle is sticking or slow returning check out your floor mats are not causing the trouble.if no problem there get mr t check it out.

when you change gear you take your foot off the accelerator and dip the clutch.so taking your foot off should cause the revs to drop, if you have a rev counter you should see the revs drop back.if your throttle is sticking or slow returning check out your floor mats are not causing the trouble.if no problem there get mr t check it out.

the accelerator isnt sticking but when i do come off the accelerator it takes a few seconds for the revs to get below 2500 so i can change gear. so i'm sat there trying to push it into second for like 3 seconds before it will actually get in gear.

the accelerator isnt sticking but when i do come off the accelerator it takes a few seconds for the revs to get below 2500 so i can change gear. so i'm sat there trying to push it into second for like 3 seconds before it will actually get in gear.

for safety reasons you had better get mr t to check it out.you should not have to wait that long for the revs to drop back.

for safety reasons you had better get mr t to check it out.you should not have to wait that long for the revs to drop back.

mr t = toyota lol?

and is it normal then not being able to cange gear at high revs?

I rang my local toyota place and they said they can book me in for a diagnostic to see if they can find any problems etc - said it would cost £52 plus vat?

I rang my local toyota place and they said they can book me in for a diagnostic to see if they can find any problems etc - said it would cost £52 plus vat?

The synchromesh will probably normally block you above 2500 rpm.

As for the slow rev drop, I had a similar thing with an aged Mazda and it turned out to be a chocked air filter. I couldn't remember when I last changed it!

Worth a quick look.

if the synchromesh is blocking it then its not a fault its just how it works?

and i had a look at the air filter (see attachment) does it need replacing?

post-102265-015885100 1292159443_thumb.j

That filter looks absolutely manky to me. Even if it's not the source of your problem, it needs replaced. It's probably suffocating your engine.

Your synchromesh is probably ok. It matches the speed of the cogs that are to be meshed. If there is too big a speed difference, it will make the change hard to do.

That filter looks absolutely manky to me. Even if it's not the source of your problem, it needs replaced. It's probably suffocating your engine.

Your synchromesh is probably ok. It matches the speed of the cogs that are to be meshed. If there is too big a speed difference, it will make the change hard to do.

okay thanks very much for your help!

i've ordered a K&N Air Filter to replace the old one hope it helps with the gear thing cause its still pretty annoying!

Personnaly I think theres nothing wrong with standard filters they just need changed every 12,000 miles or 18 months which ever comes sooner. Even more frequently if you crawl around in city traffic all day or drive somewhere dusty.

Regarding gear change:

I think its a characteristic that Aygo box has a poor shift , particularly high revs. Asked garage to check mine when was serviced.

I have no rev counter but think that the first signs of reluctance are around 2500 becoming difficult over about 3500-4000.

Aygo also unusual amongst modern cars that the clutch is not self adjusting and must be checked an adjusted at least once a year.

Too loose: the gear change suffers,

Too tight: the clutch suffers unnecessary wear.

Personnaly I think theres nothing wrong with standard filters they just need changed every 12,000 miles or 18 months which ever comes sooner. Even more frequently if you crawl around in city traffic all day or drive somewhere dusty.

Regarding gear change:

I think its a characteristic that Aygo box has a poor shift , particularly high revs. Asked garage to check mine when was serviced.

I have no rev counter but think that the first signs of reluctance are around 2500 becoming difficult over about 3500-4000.

Aygo also unusual amongst modern cars that the clutch is not self adjusting and must be checked an adjusted at least once a year.

Too loose: the gear change suffers,

Too tight: the clutch suffers unnecessary wear.

Oh right, well aygos done nearly 26000 and i dont think the filters ever been changed so new one will probbably do some good!

and hmm well i could have someone look at the clutch, i'm not sure if it still has the original 180mm clutch plate which i've heard is bad in that it wears very quickly?

sounds broken.

Does it ever crunch going into first or reverse?

Is it getting worse?

Does blipping the throttle to match the revs when changing down help?

Might be the actuator on the clutch which has bent inside the clutch housing preventing the clutch from fully depressing?

Might be the gearbox itself.

Think you need someone to check it.

sounds broken.

Does it ever crunch going into first or reverse?

Is it getting worse?

Does blipping the throttle to match the revs when changing down help?

Might be the actuator on the clutch which has bent inside the clutch housing preventing the clutch from fully depressing?

Might be the gearbox itself.

Think you need someone to check it.

doesnt ever crunch when going into gears but it is very difficult you can feel something blocking it - sometimes it hard to pull it out of first too :/ not sure if it is getting worse but it could be.

bliping throttle doesnt seem to help when changing down.

could it be just the clutch that needs replacing or does this sound a bit more serious?

• 3 weeks later...

i've noticed now it does seem to crunch when going into some gears. i will deffo take it to get looked at, should i take it to my nearest toyota dealer to get it checked out or just my local garage?

• 2 weeks later...

Why on earth is the thread starting shifting 1st gear at 2500 rpm!!!? thats at least 20mph!!! should take your foot off the gas at 2000 rpm, clutch down shift into 2nd, slowely foot back up and back on the gas.

Took it into toyota!!! they said the whole clutch system needs replacing, cost: £600 :( sound reasonable? they said thats the cause of the gearbox problem

The whole clutch system is the cause of the gearbox problem?!

Ask for a detailed analysis as to what in the clutch system has failed any why!

Its still the standard clutch that was first fitted when bought and I know that has its problems? I've already told them to go ahead and do the work cause I've not got the knowledge to argue with them or what not? Is it possible the whole system needs replacing? How often does whole system need replacing on a car cause I don't know

It was the clutch :) car is now perfect. biting point right down at bottom, clutch is much lighter and best of all the gears work :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links