Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whirring Noise When Clutch Depressed

Muddell

My 2008 1.3 Yaris makes a whirring noise when the car is stationary in neutral with the engine running, and it disappears if the clutch is depressed. This only happens when starting up from cold and the noise disappears completely after only a few minutes of driving. Sounds like it might be the first motion shaft bearings? Or maybe it has something to do with the safety/security feature which prevents the engine being started unless the clutch is depressed? The car has only done 9,000 miles. Any help, ideas or experience of this would be appreciated.

My 2008 1.3 Yaris makes a whirring noise when the car is stationary in neutral with the engine running, and it disappears if the clutch is depressed. This only happens when starting up from cold and the noise disappears completely after only a few minutes of driving. Sounds like it might be the first motion shaft bearings? Or maybe it has something to do with the safety/security feature which prevents the engine being started unless the clutch is depressed? The car has only done 9,000 miles. Any help, ideas or experience of this would be appreciated.

no, it looks like a clutch release bearing is worn down.

cheers

what he said, my yaris did it for ages. Toyota even picked up on it at a service, they said it can even be down to just an unevenly greased clutch release bearing. They said to resolve it they would have to take the whole clutch out, which also includes removing the gearbox, and as it take so much effort and time to get to it, the whole clutch should be replaced while they are there.

They told me if the clutch is perfectly fine, then to just live with it, and the sound is nothing to worry about. If the clutch starts to slip then get the whole lot changed.

Hmmm. But a 2008 car should still be under warranty.

Agree with everything you say above about it being a pig to change because its a "gearbox out" job and you'd do the whole clutch assembly at the same time, but if its under warranty, I'd suggest trying to get Mr T to change it under warranty.

If you have a fault manifest itself whilst he car is under warranty, its worth trying to get it fixed whilst its still covered - because you've little chance of any recompense if it gets worse after the warranty expires.

That said, they might say its not a warranty fault and has been caused by someone sitting with their foot on the clutch for long periods of time - such as whilst at traffic lights - rather than putting the car into neutral until its time to move off....

But if you don't ask, you don't get. Certainly unusual for such an item to fail on a young low mileage car...

Sorry chaps - had a senior moment and made a mistake in the title. As I say in the post text, the whirring noise disappears when the clutch pedal is depressed. Thanks anyway for the answers so far................

Yes release bearing like said above. i also had/have the same problem on my T-sport yaris. I recently had clutch done and wanted release bearing fixing, but when the garage took it apart they said the gearbox had been stripped before. think mine may have been recalled with the faulty gerboxes! It also hadnt been put back together correctly, This caused a clunk when selecting reverse. I was also told that something was missing in the gearbox and had almost no oil in their!!! The sound is slowly coming back but it doesnt slip or anything. Its just frustrating when you want your car to be perfect :-) sorry for the ramble...

Get down to the dealer and let them look at it. I had my 40k service recently and they noticed a clicking noise when you depressed the clutch pedal. All sorted under warranty. That's what the warranty's there for.

Good luck with Mr T and warranties... Maybe it's just been our luck with the Yaris - which we've had from new - but Mr T didn't want know about the whirring noise - said it was nothing to worry about, despite our remonstrations (after similar posts on here alerted us). Then the warranty ran out and....

....oh, you've guessed :blink: Suddenly it *urgently* needed looking at and we were warned of dire consequences if we didn't have it done yesterday... So we took it along to an idependent T guy who said don't worry, it's nothing to get upset about unless the clutch starts to slip (as said above). It still whirrs, has done for the past 5 years and 30K-odd miles... :)

All the Yaris's servicing is now done by this independent; pukka Mr T parts, we trust him - and he's much cheaper. ;)

This would appear to be a common problem on the yaris, I have come across it on 3 different models, caused by, as said in earlier posts, a noisy thrust bearing, if under warranty it should be fixed, but if not, it's not worth spending the money on, it's unlikely to cause any problems, just annoyance !

• 9 years later...

ive  had 3 yaris's from the uk, (2petrol/1diesel) all with 6speed manual gearboxes, all with under 35,000miles on the clock, replaced clutch kit(clutch plate/pressure plate) and thrust release bearing and problem solved, I think, correct me if im wrong but the gearboxes are made in France and they are crap, my brother who owns an earlier model yaris with the 5speed box, changed hes clutch at 300,000km believe it or not, even the mechanic was shocked that the gearbox had never been opened before. 

None of the Op's have been on here for 10 years nearly except Sooty what was in 2017

18 minutes ago, Pambos said:

correct me if im wrong but the gearboxes are made in France and they are crap

The engines and manual gearboxes for the European built Yaris are made in Poland.

If the clutches are having to be changed at less than 35k then they must have been abused, end of! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links