Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mmt Box How Is Yours?

Geriatric

kav My box on flat road with steady acceleration changes up in E drive to 2,3 and 4 at 15 ,30 and 50 km/h and changes down at about 5km/h less on these speeds. The changing down to 1 is not quite so clear as the speedo does not move so quickly at about 10km/h.

kav My box on flat road with steady acceleration changes up in E drive to 2,3 and 4 at 15 ,30 and 50 km/h and changes down at about 5km/h less on these speeds. The changing down to 1 is not quite so clear as the speedo does not move so quickly at about 10km/h.

:) correct.

the ''problem'' with 1st, exists mainly in to the city where are stop-go or rolling conditions.

Uphills, engine load, vehicle load, acceleration pedal pressure etc. also affect this problem.

Our box is...hybrid. ECU is smart enough + is aligned at economy side.

My main concern when i bought the car, was the box electronic part. Will it last for a long

reasonable time, without visiting Mr T? It does. :yahoo:

On the other hand, i/we seek improvement. MMT is a peace of mind box, if you do treat it like that and not auto, full auto.

2nd car in family is a Rover 416 Auto, model 1994. We all drive her. :driving:

Aygo ''confuses'' other members of the family and they don't....touch it.

''should have taken a manual or full auto, what's this?'' i 've heard.... :death:

it's new tech + we all adjust to it. Some fast, others slow, some...don't have it. :hammer:

Toyota should improve/fix/update/ box ECU, in order to do the job 100%. Now it is at 98%.

..hope they watch TOC ! :yahoo::yahoo:

Hi guys,

I must admit you got me a little confused here. I have had the Aygo with MMT since July 2006 and I drive it on very short trips due to the small country where I live.

Some of you mentioned "creep" and I'm afraid I can't understand what that is referring to.

Others mentioned other woes with the MMT such as "you have to treat it like this or that". Which is the best way to use the MMT? I use it sparingly on E and M depending on the mood or the traffic and I tend to lift my right foot off the accelerator pedal so the box shift up (or at least I try but sometimes I forget and keep the accelerator pressed) or if need be use the kick down by pressing on the accelerator all of a sudden sort of and that takes the gears down one notch.

At the local T they had told me that it is wiser to lift your foot when the box is changing like one does in with manual box.

Any other useful information would be greatly welcomed.

Hi guys,

I must admit you got me a little confused here. I have had the Aygo with MMT since July 2006 and I drive it on very short trips due to the small country where I live.

Some of you mentioned "creep" and I'm afraid I can't understand what that is referring to.

Others mentioned other woes with the MMT such as "you have to treat it like this or that". Which is the best way to use the MMT? I use it sparingly on E and M depending on the mood or the traffic and I tend to lift my right foot off the accelerator pedal so the box shift up (or at least I try but sometimes I forget and keep the accelerator pressed) or if need be use the kick down by pressing on the accelerator all of a sudden sort of and that takes the gears down one notch.

At the local T they had told me that it is wiser to lift your foot when the box is changing like one does in with manual box.

Any other useful information would be greatly welcomed.

Hi silvio.

"Creep" is when you select a gear and the computer slightly engages the clutch.

Your car then creeps forwards. This imitates a conventional Automatic gearbox.

I had a Smart Fortwo previously and this didn't happen until you lightly touched the

throttle pedal. (There was a microswitch on it). Some people like the "creep" feature,

I don't personally as it increases wear on the clutch plate.

Some "suggestions" I made when somebody else asked about MMT.

Remember the gearbox is really a computer controlled manual gearbox. (It has a "normal" clutch

which you can wear out faster by abusing it. Just like a normal clutch.

MMT is very clever but can't anticipate or see hills coming.

If you are driving into a valley and know you will soon be climbing a steep hill,

change into manual, change down a gear (or two) so that power is available.

If you wait for the car to do this, you are already on the hill, losing speed.

When crawling in traffic, try to maintain at least 6mph (10kph)

This means the clutch is fully engaged, not slipping and wearing.

Use the throttle very gently in slow traffic , again, to prevent wear.

Slipping ANY car clutch in traffic is poor driving anyway.

One of the critisisms of both the manual & MMT gearbox is the huge difference in ratios

between 1st & 2nd gear. You may find that you set off gently up a slight slope

and when the gearbox chenges into 2nd, the engine may labour (struggle) a bit.

I find the best way to set off uphill is to start moving gently, then open the

throttle quite wide (then the speed will build quickly and revs go quite high)

As the gearbox engages 2nd gear, ease your foot off the throttle a little.

(Not too much or the gearbox will go into 3rd). You'll soon see what I mean.

Another subtle difference between "normal" Auto boxes and MMT.

If you want to use kickdown, to change down a gear, The speed at which you press

the accelerator pedal is more important than slowly pressing it to the floor.

Pressing it very quickly to half-way down will result in a quicker down-shift.

To increase MPG, simply use the throttle very gently. the MMT will sort the rest out.

Adapting......If you thrash away from a couple of junctions and use large throttle openings a few

times, the MMT will keep you in lower gears and alter gearchange points until you relax again.

As soon as you drive gently, it goes back to normal within a couple of gearchanges.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

• Like 1

Hi all, I am from South Africa- I cannot find any mainstream info and reviews etc on the MMT box here.

I am going to buy a 2009 Toyota Coralla 1.6 MMT. I dorve the car for the first time yesterday and on first impression I found that when in auto mode the gear shifts tends to make the whole car dip up and down,literally like holding the car back and letting go, then drive and it dips again. However in the manual mode it changes just fine.

Is this right? I had the dealer bring the car to me-so I did not really choose a car- but he has six in stock. Could this be just this one car behaving like this? Any advise or opinions is appreciated

Hi all, I am from South Africa- I cannot find any mainstream info and reviews etc on the MMT box here.

I am going to buy a 2009 Toyota Coralla 1.6 MMT. I dorve the car for the first time yesterday and on first impression I found that when in auto mode the gear shifts tends to make the whole car dip up and down,literally like holding the car back and letting go, then drive and it dips again. However in the manual mode it changes just fine.

Is this right? I had the dealer bring the car to me-so I did not really choose a car- but he has six in stock. Could this be just this one car behaving like this? Any advise or opinions is appreciated

The dipping up & down is (I think) just your perception.

If you keep the throttle in one place, it does feel odd that the power comes off whilst

changing gear and is then applied again.

If you can arrange another trip in the car but as a passenger, it feels exactly like

being driven in a manual car.

When I first experienced a similar gearbox (Smart Fortwo), I felt myself leaning

forwards as the car changed gear. To "magically by willpower" help it along.

In manual mode, you imagine youself pushing the clutch pedal down and thinking how a manual "feels",

I'm sure you'll get used to it and be OK.

Ian.

Any word on whether the Auris MMT firmware upgrades are being filtered down to other MMT-equipped cars?

As it stands, the MMT is the worst semi-auto I've used!

It lacks smoothness, makes stupid gear decisions and just doesn't feel very intuitive or natural.

It kinda feels like they took the manual and bodged a computer-controlled clutch on it rather than designing it from the ground up to be a semi auto :lol:

(Obviously they didn't, but hopefully you get the gist of what I mean...)

It kinda feels like they took the manual and bodged a computer-controlled clutch on it

For the last time......hopefully.

Yes, that is EXACTLY what MMT is.

People are so bothered about fuel consumption these days, MMT is the only way to make

Auto (very nearly) as economical as manual.

If petrol was free, MMT wouldn't be needed.

Conventional automatics with torque converters worked beautifully.

(At the expense of a bit of fuel).

MMT is a compromise. It can't predict what you can see in front of you on the road.

Help it out and it's happy.

People say you shouldn't have to adapt but in any car,

the driver can see a hill aproaching and use more throttle or

a descent and use brakes to slow down.

It's called "driving".

Ian.

Try the semi-auto in other manufacturers; They're way more refined than the MMT. They feel more like they were actually designed, rather than stuck on as an afterthought :)

TBH tho' none of them are great; I kinda understand why Clarkson is always complaining about 'flappy paddle gearboxes', as they are basically the samething.

The only semi-auto I've tried which didn't annoy me is the VW DSG box...

I will say I've never tried driving a semi-auto in manual mode tho'; Someone here told me that is the best way to drive one, but I'd rather stick with a real manual if I was going to do that! :lol:

I will say I've never tried driving a semi-auto in manual mode tho'; Someone here told me that is the best way to drive one, but I'd rather stick with a real manual if I was going to do that! :lol:

I drive our Aygo MMT as a manual - it's much more fun than using the auto side of it... more responsive, smashing 'instant' changes and you change up when you want to and not when the box wants to!

We only bought it 'cos the wife only has an Automatic licence, which the MMT box covers... and she drives it on the 'e' all the time.

Her old Suzuki Alto automatics (she had 2 which lasted 7 years each) were over 3 times to cost to tax - 145 instead of 35 (due to the auto emisions being much higher than the manual) so the 20 quid a year tax for the Aygo mmt was the clincher...

It does seem like quite a few people here drive their MMTs in manual mode! ;)

I'd miss my clutch pedal tho'... one thing I've never been good at in semi/autos is things like 3-point turns... always scared the engine will stall or the car will jump into a wall :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links