Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Slight Bump

Goggy

Hi All

My lovley son had a bump in my rav today (not his fault someone ran in the back of him)

phoned my insurance co (Toyota) and they said because of the age of the car 1998 they will most lightly write it off :crybaby:

The nice lady said i could most probaly buy it back if the damage is not to bad (it only needs a new back door)does anybody Know how this works? as i have never had to claim before or could i get ripped off

kind regards

Alan

P.S Merry Christmas Everyone :xmas:

Hi All

My lovley son had a bump in my rav today (not his fault someone ran in the back of him)

phoned my insurance co (Toyota) and they said because of the age of the car 1998 they will most lightly write it off :crybaby:

The nice lady said i could most probaly buy it back if the damage is not to bad (it only needs a new back door)does anybody Know how this works? as i have never had to claim before or could i get ripped off

kind regards

Alan

P.S Merry Christmas Everyone :xmas:

Hi Alan,

Your claim is against the other driver's policy - Toyota insurance should be acting on your behalf to settle the claim.

If the other company want to write off your vehichle I would, in the first instance, refuse whatever they offer as unacceptable. Most companies will come back with a better offer in terms of a payment to you [not guaranteed though].

The decision to buy back should be based on the category of write off that the vehicle is - see here:LINK.

It will most likely depend on whether there is any damage to the structure of the car. If there is none, then it may well be worth buying back for the scrap value after you have agreed the insurance payment and sourcing a secondhand rear door etc.

I wish you luck :thumbsup:

Hi Goggy,

Sterling input from Davrav as usual, and it was only on here I properly learnt some of the implications of "write-off" vehicles a few months back, so do a wee search or two.It's a minefield. As Davrav says, Toyota Insurance are there to fight your corner, and as long as the floorpan is in no way affected, I suppose it all come down to this "economic repair" terminology.

Refuse at least two offers, nicely threaten legal action if not happy, which costs your other party a fortune, and keep us posted.

Love that name, "GOGGY". In the playground at any Glasgow primary school, if you were in possession of a "Goggy", the implication was that you had made insufficient use of your hanky, therefore some matter had become pendulus from your face.

Yeez heard it here first....

Big Kev :lol:

and remember to claim for trauma; whiplash; travelling expenses to the doctors for the 8 passengers that you had in the car; loss of earnings; the smashed £5000 television that was in the boot of the car; and vet expenses for the dogs trauma too.

and remember to claim for trauma; whiplash; travelling expenses to the doctors for the 8 passengers that you had in the car; loss of earnings; the smashed £5000 television that was in the boot of the car; and vet expenses for the dogs trauma too.

...and that's why premiums go up every year!!!

Hi All

Thanks for the info Guys

The insurance guy is going to give me a ring on monday to arange a time to come and view the damage :yahoo: as far as i can see it's only the back door that needs replacing :thumbsup: i will see what he has to say.

Kev, Goggy has always been my nickname due to my last name :yes:

Bothy, cant claim for wiplash e.t.c as it was a police car that ran in the back of him :censor:

The courtesy car i recived this morning was a Brand new (38 Miles on the clock)

VW Tiguan Auto 4motion nice car BUT totaly C**P :censor: in the snow what a let down very supprised thought it would be at least as good as the rav NOT A CHANCE :excl:

Alan

............... it was a police car that ran in the back of him :censor:

That's one to dine out on then :thumbsup:

If you choose to repair the RAV yourselve, to give you an idea of the cost of a secondhand/used rear door for your RAV it might be worth looking at the following link, I've just bought some plastic trims and a Bull Bar at a very reasonable price;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190479795833&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

I am not affifiated with this seller, but to date he has been very efficient.

Best of luck.

Only 8 passengers?

Dont you know that a RAV can carry at least 20? Well in Northern Ireland, thats their capacity anyway. ;)

Hi All ,

Update on rav ! the insurance guy came this morning to look at the damage.

He said beacuse of age of the car it would most lightly get wrote off.As it would cost more to repair than its worth.

He did say it was in excelent condition and would recomend it be repaired :thumbsup:

He said if not i would get "fair market value" for it.

I have had a look on flea bay Etc they are going for between £1600 for a tatty one To £2500 for a mint one at a garage. Mine is without a doubt Mint+++ 85K full FTSH.

Do you Guys think that £1800 would be a fair price to expect for it? our am I dreaming ?

I would settle for That :yahoo:

Your help would be most welcome

kind regards

Alan

I'd guess that £1800 is at the lower end of what you would expect.

I'd guess that £1800 is at the lower end of what you would expect.

The thing is, what could you expect to buy for £1800? Nowt as good as what you have now, I bet. :unsure:

Mike D

My sentimentalities exactly, Mike......even Halfrauds sell some push bikes at that nkinda money...!

Unless you were mentally gearing up for a change anyway, Goggy...?

Big Kev :unsure:

But if it was classed as a write-off, would it not be worth less than market value?

People, inc myself, would be wary of buying a car that has been written-off, regardless of the reason, and prices usually reflect that. That is they are usually lower than market value. In fact, I can definitely say that I would never buy one myself. However, you may never plan to sell it, but it's food for thought when negotiating a but back price with the insurance company.

Hi All ,

Update on rav ! the insurance guy came this morning to look at the damage.

He said beacuse of age of the car it would most lightly get wrote off.As it would cost more to repair than its worth.

He did say it was in excelent condition and would recomend it be repaired :thumbsup:

He said if not i would get "fair market value" for it.

I have had a look on flea bay Etc they are going for between £1600 for a tatty one To £2500 for a mint one at a garage. Mine is without a doubt Mint+++ 85K full FTSH.

Do you Guys think that £1800 would be a fair price to expect for it? our am I dreaming ?

I would settle for That :yahoo:

Your help would be most welcome

kind regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

let's just stand back from this a little: You had a car that was in excellent condition and with which you were very happy. It is unjust that you should suffer a loss ( i.e. be worse off ) because of someone elses error. Tell your insurance company that you don't want the money - just a replacement motor in the same condition if they wish to write it off. They take your premium and charge an amount that reflects the risk they are taking - that includes supplying a replacement for the damaged ( and insured ) article. Is it your job to go round the garages and find one in the same condition as yours? I would argue "No". I have taken this line once and got a MUCH more realistic settlement. They will not want the hassle of looking for a replacement but that is no reason for you taking it on. This is not cheating, illegal or immoral as you are not claiming for anything other than what you had insured and lost. If you do accept a payment from your insurers it should reflect the amount of time and effort that you will have to put in on THEIR behalf in finding and purchasing a new motor. Of course, it might be cheaper for them to repair it on this basis. :thumbsup:

Goggy,

If you are considering another RAV I would seriously look at buying yours off the insurance company and getting it repaired using a second hand rear door. I would estimate the cost of the door and repainting at circa £300.

Having spent three months looking for a RAV 4.1 I would definitely get yours repaired this based on the limited History you have given for yours 85k miles and TFSH. I must have travelled nearly 800 miles looking at various RAV,s, with prices/mileages and years ranging from £800 to £2,200, 80,000 to 160,000 between 1995 and 1998, not one of them had a TFSH, some had expensive faults including poor synchromesh, worn clutches, overdue cam belt change, accident damage, rust, oil leaks, blowing exhausts etc., most had bodywork damage of some description.

As Mike JD said in his post, you would find it extremely hard to find another RAV in the same condition for the money (£1800) and in this instance it might be better to keep the devil you know!

In the interim I would do the research (weekly car trader mag and Flea-bay) on used values of low mileage mint RAV's copying the details for evidence when the insurance company offer you the usual low offer. What i did with my written off Golf was to agree the write off value first then used the scrap value quoted by the insurance company to buy it back, on a £2000 car the quoted scrap value was £160 - cost to repair £400 including donor car ran the car for a year, sold for £1500 made £400 from selling parts off the donor car.

Hi All

Just a little update on my bump :crybaby: no news from the insurance co yet but when they are paying £150+vat a day for my hire car I don't think it will be long.

This bring me back to The Tiguan :ffs:

We had to take my son back to Brize Norton for his flight back to sunny Afgan :eek:

a round trip of aprox 390 miles so we took the tiguan WHAT A MISTAKE I have NEVER driven a car that was so uncomfortble :censor:

We have done this trip more times than i can remember and always arrive home "bright eyed and bushy tailed" NOT in the tiguan OOOOHHH NO we had to stop 3 times so i could strech my legs it was absolute agoney i am still aching 2 days later :crutchy:

it is'nt a patch on the rav4. no good in the snow, no good on long journies

NOT impressed at all VW must do better :blowup:

Hi All

Just a little update on my bump :crybaby: no news from the insurance co yet but when they are paying £150+vat a day for my hire car I don't think it will be long.

This bring me back to The Tiguan :ffs:

We had to take my son back to Brize Norton for his flight back to sunny Afgan :eek:

a round trip of aprox 390 miles so we took the tiguan WHAT A MISTAKE I have NEVER driven a car that was so uncomfortble :censor:

We have done this trip more times than i can remember and always arrive home "bright eyed and bushy tailed" NOT in the tiguan OOOOHHH NO we had to stop 3 times so i could strech my legs it was absolute agoney i am still aching 2 days later :crutchy:

it is'nt a patch on the rav4. no good in the snow, no good on long journies

NOT impressed at all VW must do better :blowup:

Don't be too hard on the Tiguan, it's only a Golf with delusions of grandeur ;)

Next time your'e coming this way, PM me. You'd be welcome to a brew and a pitstop - I'm only 10mins from Brize.

Hope your son has a safe tour :thumbsup:

Hi All,

Just a little update on my Rav. The Toyota dealers have been and picked up my rav today (thursday).so they can repair it :yahoo:

Ive phoned the hire Co and They are picking the Tiguan up today as well :thumbsup:

I know i could keep it untill mine is fixed but tbh i dont need it, dont like it and it's lowering the tone of the neighbourhood :laughing:

Thanks for all the good advice & i will keep you informed

Kind regards

Alan

Happy New Year to you All xxx

P.S Davrav my next trip to B/N will be in April You Never Know I might PM you If it's Not 3.15 Am Like This Time LOL

Fantastic result there, Gogz.....remember some pictures when you get it back, and tell yer boy to keep his heid doon....!

Big Kev :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update Folks :thumbsup:

Getting My Rav Back Saturday Morning :yahoo:

Keep you All posted

Cheers Alan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links