Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1983 Toyota Hiace Devon

Erika

Hi there

my lovely 1983 Devon Hiace conversion sadly broke down on the M4 a couple of months ago and my local garage has been a little unhelpful in trying to get the parts in order for her to run again.

So i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a 1983 hiace radiator and possibly a head gasket from I would be eternally grateful to you.

Thanks

erika

:yes:

Hi Erika,

Im looking into buying a Camper exactly the same as yours! Have parts availability been really difficult? It seems odd how there is nowhere online where there is a forum or enthusiasts page! Im sure i found somewhere last night that did some spares! i will look this evening. But a Ri would assume that as long as you can get a radiator to fit into the mounts it would be fine. As for head gasket do you know what engine your van has?

Also if i do get the Camper i will probably set-up a forum/Facebook page etc so people can help each other out, Obviously only if there is enough '80s hi-ace camper owners out there!

Cheers for now

Ben

Been searching about and eBay seems only online place where one can find parts for these vans, it looks as if the 84-89 vans used the 3Y 2ltr Petrol engine same as what was used in the Hi-Lux if this is the engine you have there is a Hi-Lux Rad on eBay (link below) obviously you would need to check its the same size as the one you have but it seems possible that they would use the same Rad. Quiet days at work spent researching Camper Vans. oh the joy! :-)

Anyway hope this helps

Ben

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-2-0-PETROL-84-86-3Y-ENGINE-RADIATOR-L-K-1-/160496787494?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255e5aa026#ht_1985wt_1139

also workshop manual for Toyota HiAce '84-'89 Petrol 1800cc 2Y & 2000cc 3Y engines and 2.4 (L) Diesel

http://russek-publications.com/shop/toyota/toyota.html

or on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260715520437&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1016wt_1139

Ill post more info here as i find it!

The problem you have with genuine parts guys is that Toyota stopped making parts for them a long time ago, Your Hiace are 28 years old and probably not too many of them around!!!

Good luck with your requests, a radiator supplier should be able to re-core your old radiator, and probably a engine rebuilder would be able to get gaskets etc

When making posts it would be good to know what the cc and engine type is, 12R 18R 2Y etc etc

Kingo :thumbsup:

Hi Kingo,

I am yet to get the HiAce, Its a 2lt Petrol, so im assuming a 3Y engine, an 1984 on an A plate. Body work is tatty but that should be easily fixed, has a full Devon Conversion complete with pop-top. Not sure how much they want for it yet. But what do you think? are they worth it? or just get a van and convert to camper? or a VW camper? Nice to get an opinion from someone in the Trade.

Thanks

Ben

The bodywork will always be a problem on the Hiace, OK if you are in a position to repair it but not worth it otherwise IMHO

For some extraodinary reason camper vans of all types hold there money really well and I would be reluctant to pay a lot for what is, a van nearly 30 years old with all the problems that brings. You might be able to get engine parts etc but getting panels will be much harder. I would not go out and buy one but thats just my opinion

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input,

I think it will depend on price if i can get it for what the Conversion is worth IE, fridge, cooker, inverted etc i think i might go for it, otherwise as you said it will probably be more hassle than its worth! I am a sucker for old cars and bikes tho!

Ben

I am a sucker for old cars and bikes tho!

I have just the right bike for you in my garage................

In that case you will be interested :lol: BMW R100Rs ;)

Ha.... i dont think i would be very popular tho.... see i can convince her we NEED a camper! but not a 4th bike! R100R so last of the airheads with the paralever.... mmm nice!

• 6 months later...

Hi Erika did you get you parts for the Toyota by any chance, I am trying to find some doors for my one, and it is so hard.

Thanks Geoff

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links