Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bbc To Drive Electric Mini From London To Edinburgh

johalareewi

some of the comments at the end of the article are interesting too!

but I'll stick to the Prius thank you very much!!

:thumbsup:

Well, attempt to using public charging points along the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12138420

Hi

Sorry I think this is a nonsence, of course the mini will get there but how long is it going to take, I understood it can do 100 miles per charge if you do not use the heater then its down to 70mls, and freezing your bits off as well, each time you stop it needs 7-8 hours to charge up, so what you are saving in fuel etc you have to spent on hotel rooms,so where is the saving, I done the journey from Basingstoke to Glasgow in 8 hours, I think this run will take 3-4 days.

Stick to your Prius, I will when I get the chance, thats the way to go.

MGnut Colin

But isn't it horses for courses? An electric car is ideal for a second car, esp if you live in a city as there is zero local pollution. The fuel saved would still be significant and you only have to charge it up when it needs it, so you might get away with charging it once a month.

There are many positives to Electric Cars but unlike other countries here in the UK we all point out the negatives. I don't go upto a Ferrari owner and tell him he'd never be able to tow a caravan so why hassle electric city cars because you can't drive to the south of France in it?

I think EV's are a good thing for city use and if you select a clean energy or renewable electric tariff then you can drive with very limited total emissions. Another way of looking at EV's is that there is some energy security attached to them - we buy less oil from countries that hate us. :yes:

People just dont get electric cars do they?

What better than having zero emissions, cheap to run cars? The majority of drivers would benefit as the average daily drive is about 33 miles, you just need to make alternative arrangements for longer journeys, like a second car or public transport

Kingo :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Im a big fan of electric car technology in general. Its only going to get better and cheaper!

If its a BBC review, they wont help the cause though as they're generally negative toward electric vehicles.

Let's face most new technology takes some time to develop. Model T Ford specs...

Top speed 40 - 45mph

Fuel tank capacity 38 litres (10 US Gallons, 8.3588314 Imperial Gallons)

mpg 13 - 21

Power 20bhp

Giving a range of between

8.3588314 x 13 = 108.664 miles

and

8.3588314 x 21 = 175.53 miles

With this interesting design feature...

Ford relied on gravity to feed fuel to the carburetor, rather than a fuel pump, a Model T could not climb a steep hill when the fuel level was low. The immediate solution was often to drive up steep hills in reverse

All info from this Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T

So give it a few years and the technology will improve.

So when is Mr T going to offer us a free g-wiz with every Prius then, the Prius for longer journeys and the g-wiz or equivalent for going shopping??

Hey hang on a mo, isnt that what I've got? A Prius for longer journeys and an Aygo for shopping :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links