Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Safe Are Old Tyres?

firemac

Due to the tracking having been knocked out a while back, my n/s/r B/s Dueller has 3mm of tread whilst the other three have 6-7mm (the N/S/R was on the front but I swapped it to the back to try to even out the wear). Anyway, I'm going to have to replace it soon and rather than buy a pair of new tyres, which will effectively mean junking a reasonably good tyre on the O/S/R, I'm thinking that I'll buy one new Dueller for the N/S, fit the spare on the O/S/R and use the existing 6mm O/S/R tyre as the spare. Good economic solution except that the spare tyre is the original (car is 02 reg), has never been used and has never had the plastic wheel cover removed except to occasionally check its pressure.

I know that tyres age & that after something like 5 years it's unwise to use them unless they've been stored properly, i.e. dry, cool, out of direct sunlight & preferably wrapped. Any thoughts on whether my spare qualifies as having beem "stored" properly? Is there any checks I can make, apart from visuallly ensuring that there is no sidewall cracking or that the tread is separating from the carcase, etc?

Clearly I'm not prepared to take risks with tyres but, at the same time, I don't want to bin one that is OK. Any advise gratefully received.

Pump the tyre carefully up to working pressure and inspect rubber for perishing /cracks etc. Should be ok at that age. I had tyres on an old Humber hawk -1963- which were years old and still ok....shame about the car though!

Tyres perish partly as a reaction to the UV in daylight. If your spare has been out of direct sunlight it will have been saved some of that perishing. Check it visually for cracks and that shiney surface they get. Failing that take it to a professional tyre fitter and ask him.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links